BC Access.... Is this the time to organize in the Northeast?

One of the points brought home by the turnout to the Oct 17, Big Jay Restoration Fund benefit showing of PW07 is that there most definitely is a backcountry community in the Northeast. I realize that it could be as futile as herding cats, but such a community could have an organized or confederated role to play in backcountry access issues.

Neither NET nor NATO appears to have such a mission as charter. On the other hand it is clear that both organizations do care and have participated when asked in awareness campaigns. As stewardship concerns are part of a purely practical backcountry committment it may be time to poll the organizations for their interest in participation in an alliance regarding winter sports access issues.

Research shows there are some western oriented alliances doing that work. If they can, we can. Your thoughts and ideas?
    The sad truth is that whine does not age well

Indifferent

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    I am not saying no; but, there doesn't seem to be any problems to solve.

I think the Big Jay hacking is a storm in a tea cup. I haven't been up there, but I don't see the damage besides estetics. To be frank, most of the NE was clear cut a hundred years ago. Is there really a difference between the Jay hacking and the Teardrop trail on Mt. Mansfield?
    DB has a point. The only difference is, that when the Teardrop was cut, vintage bros weren't skiing knee deep in tightly spaced trees with the 225 pine sticks they were skiing on back then. The Teardrop was probably gnarly at the time, as now it is not so much (still fun though!).

But the point about the tea cup is something to think about. Except for a few dumbasses who would go and fuck something like that up (which are going to exist, East Coast Backcountry alliance or not) there really aren't any serious access issues around? Are there?

I still would contend that there was much more damage done up there than pure esthetic damage.

I think this is mostly due to the fact that I would assume most of the access issues out West have to do w/ sleds, cats, and other motors accessing such quality stuff that when word gets out there could be potential for some serious over-use issues.

Out here, you have to work twice as hard to find areas that are half as good. And most are hidden in some trees, where the masses aren't headed anywho. Just my .02, and could be wrong.

I still would contend that there was much more damage done up there than pure esthetic damage.

And DB, some people in this country are in LOVE with the idea of small town democracy, and will do anything to start a Coalition of sorts. No reason to resist. They could do good things. I'll be skiing or drinking though

I think there are too many secrets to be given out with "organizing" in the northeast...

AGREED

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTV View Post
    I think there are too many secrets to be given out with "organizing" in the northeast...
    - the whole point of "back" country in NE

Here's to hoping there are no Big Jay "access issues" this season......
    Uno mas

Good points regarding access in the NE. Thanks!

The impact of the gash will vary depending on point of view, but wind scour will affect the glisse in one section and could be a factor in another. If it gets a chance to grow back the former bounty will return.

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite
    Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    i hear that... the lines at the polar ice cap part of that flick were unfuckin real

Quote Originally Posted by bostonjohn View Post
    i hear that... the lines at the polar ice cap part of that flick were unfuckin real
    That "Narrow Minded" chute looked terrifying

but "Polar Star" looks tempting
    Last edited by robrox; 10-18-2007 at 12:25 PM.