Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountainman View Post
    I move dirt and rocks in the summer.

And in the spring & early summer mother nature moves them back???

Bwhahahahahahahahahahaha!

If anyone's interested and gets a working holiday visa to Aus in the off season I can prolly hook you up with a $50 000ish job for 6 months. Hard work, hot, but pays well.

Quote Originally Posted by cj001f View Post
    this thread would be a good point on why there aren't many "lifers" on pro patrols.....
    Our patrol is a bit of an oddity in this regard. A few of them are there over 20 years, and most of them are in the 10+ yr category.

Quote Originally Posted by nesta View Post
    there's actually quite a few.
    not an oddity- ours too has some 20+ years vets, the rest a range of rookies to 10 years. it would be interesting to calculate the average- bet the median is about 10 years. Same with every patrol I've either worked on or exchanged with.
    "if it's called tourist season, why can't we just shoot them?"

how to

Any info on how to become a patroler would be much appreciated.
    Thanks.

VC is offline Calmer then you are Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by addict View Post
    If anyone's interested and gets a working holiday visa to Aus in the off season I can prolly hook you up with a $50 000ish job for 6 months. Hard work, hot, but pays well.
    Ahhh. do tell

Quote Originally Posted by sail'em View Post
    Thanks.
    Have you considered talking with the local patrol director? Just a thought.

Thanks.
    Check the requirements for the resort you want to work at. Take an EMT-B class, or OEC. Try to interview with, or meet the patrol director the season before you want to work. This way you can perform a ski test if they want, you get your foot in the door. They should keep you in contact, interview in the Fall, and hopefully you're invited to e-vac training.

Question for the rest of you. I currently patrol at a resort with little to no control work. But I've been offered a Lead position (or hill boss), and the possibilities to move up quick are present. I was recently offered a job at resort with the 3rd largest control program in the nation. Obviously the kind of place I want to work, however, it's a 20 mile drive, I currently walk to work. Pay is close, might be a little cut, but I would get more work due to frequent control work. I don't plan on working patrol forever, but would rather work my way up and transfer my resort knowledge to a more career oriented department. Any thoughts? It's basically great skiing and really fun control work vs. a leadership position with advancement possibilities and convenience.
    Go Sharks.

Great skiing and really fun control work.
    That is all.
    "if it's called tourist season, why can't we just shoot them?"

I patrolled at a major western ski area for ten years. Greatest job I have ever had. I never latched on to a steady summer gig. I did spend a couple years as year round at the hill. I should have gone the fire fighting route from the get go. Fire/paramedic is a pretty natural transition from patrolling.

I consider myself fortunate to have "retired" with only a couple scars and chronically sore knees.

MF

Quote Originally Posted by fluffballs View Post
    Question for the rest of you. I currently patrol at a resort with little to no control work. But I've been offered a Lead position (or hill boss), and the possibilities to move up quick are present. I was recently offered a job at resort with the 3rd largest control program in the nation. Obviously the kind of place I want to work, however, it's a 20 mile drive, I currently walk to work. Pay is close, might be a little cut, but I would get more work due to frequent control work. I don't plan on working patrol forever, but would rather work my way up and transfer my resort knowledge to a more career oriented department. Any thoughts? It's basically great skiing and really fun control work vs. a leadership position with advancement possibilities and convenience.
    Guess: You currently work NS or DP and the other resort offer is at SV? Just curious.

Edit: I'd stick with the higher position and do the responsible thing, although tossing charges would be pretty kickass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by Redskea View Post
    Ski industry 10 years.

Outdoor instructor/trekking guide in summer. (UK / Europe)

Might not be patrolling this season though since both Canada and US look like they are not going to deliver on seasonal visas
    Otherwise I was planning to patrol until my body failed.
    OT/ What's an outdoor instructor ?
    (not trying to be an ass. Genuine question).
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

Quote Originally Posted by philippeR View Post
    OT/ What's an outdoor instructor ?
    (not trying to be an ass. Genuine question).
    Taking people climbing, rappelling, paddling. I think its more of a UK thing and you need to be mountain guide for France.

I'm working on getting accompanateur so I can just work in France, better money and weather!
    My favourite non-patrol job.
    'I dare to dream and differ from the hollow lies'

Quote Originally Posted by fluffballs View Post
    Check the requirements for the resort you want to work at. Take an EMT-B class, or OEC. Try to interview with, or meet the patrol director the season before you want to work. This way you can perform a ski test if they want, you get your foot in the door. They should keep you in contact, interview in the Fall, and hopefully you're invited to e-vac training.
    I actually have this process started but its nice to hear I'm on the right track.
    Thank you-

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    So Im thinking this could be the profession that makes me a lifer
    JONG question, What exactly is a lifer?
    "Hold my beer...Watch this!"

I actually have this process started but its nice to hear I'm on the right track.
    Thank you-
    Canyons, PCMR or DVMR???

Quote Originally Posted by SCUTSKI View Post
    Guess: You currently work NS or DP and the other resort offer is at SV? Just curious.

Edit: I'd stick with the higher position and do the responsible thing, although tossing charges would be pretty kickass.
    Pretty solid guess, but it's NS and AM.
    Go Sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by freezorburn View Post
    JONG question, What exactly is a lifer?
    Someone whose wife has a real job.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident