Wilderness First Responder

-- So I signed up for this week long wilderness first responder class in Bozeman.Have any of you guys heard of it? I'm not really sure what I'm getting into, and I'm wondering how in depth it's gonna go, and if I'll even be able to pass...
    I'm scared Poncho.

Bullshit! You ain't afraid of no man!

There's something out there waiting for us, and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die.

GIYF

"Woof-er" is a great certification and something I wish I had. I know it's required for many jobs such as Grand Canyon raft guides. The 'troller types around here should now how if applies to their jobs. It'll be hard but worth it.

http://www.wildmed.com/course_fact_s...wfr_facts.html

I am WFR certified and it was definitely a worth while course. I took the course through WMI in grad school and it was pretty intense. Lot's of information in a short period of time. However, it's fairly easy to pass if you pay attention, have some basic outdoor knowledge, and volunteer a lot when they need someone to do scenarios.

They don't cover a whole lot about swift water emergencies, but you will be glad you took the course when it's all said and done. It's content is solely focused on improvised medical techniques for the backcountry. You will learn how to make splints out of pack frames, sleeping pads, paddles, tree branches, etc. You will learn how to treat environmental conditions (altitude sickness, dehydration, insect bites, frost bite, hypothermia, etc.). CPR and basic first aid is also taught with the backcountry/remote location setting in mind. A lot of the basic common sense skills they teach will be the most helpful. The majority of the course is hands-on practical learning. Not a whole lot of the traditional classroom style teaching.

Don't mean to babble on, but you will love this course. The exam at the end of the course is a mix of written and practical. Just as long as you pay attention you will pass. Good luck.

Thanks a lot, I can't wait to get take the course. I'm sure it'll give me confidence when I'm out camping, paddling, hiking, skiing, etc... do you know anything about whitewater certifications for river guid jobs?
    I'm scared Poncho.

Bullshit! You ain't afraid of no man!

There's something out there waiting for us, and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die.

You've probably taken the course by now, but all I have to say about WFR is it's the best 80 hours I've ever spent! I felt like I learned so much about how to approach wilderness crisis situations and it improved my confidence tenfold. It's also a great intro to the world of SAR or other rescue fields, if that's at all inspiring to you :-)

Best of luck - let us know how it goes/went!

Originally posted by Foggy_Goggles
    The 'troller types around here should now how if applies to their jobs. It'll be hard but worth it.
    Ski Patrols want OEC - a similar, but different 80 hr first aid class. People who are WFR certified can challenge the OEC course to receive certification at the instructors discretion.

WFR/OEC/EMT are all excellent training

I took an EMT class years ago. It was the most fascinating course of study I have ever taken. I loved it. I feel a great deal more confident in many situations, and I'm sure it was a factor in getting hired to many of the jobs I've had, includeing 'troller and raft guide.

do you know anything about whitewater certifications for river guid jobs?

There's no certification requirements In California or Alaska. (Other than knowing how to spell the word guide) Most companies won't bother with you unless you have at a minimum the first aid and CPR cards. If you want to get much work however, go for an advanced first aid, and at least a basic level swiftwater rescue from Rescue-1.

Always keep a written log of your river days.

I worked a season in New Zealand, and to become certified, I had to Show the first aid, swiftwater rescue, and a log of my experience as a guide to an examiner. Then I ran trip with him in the boat, observing.

I Hear that in colorado there's a pretty intense certifation standard for guides.