Moment Ruby, Surface Live Life, Scratch Steeze?

Hey everyone, I was hoping you guys give me some thoughts on these skis. My home's Bear Mountain which is 100% park but I'm looking at getting a pair of stiffer charging/powder skis for when I take trips to Mammoth and out of state which I'll hopefully be doing quite a bit. Anyway, I'm looking for something stiff enough to do some mild charging, trees, pow, but is playful enough for the occasional park run. (no way would I take them on rails, that's what $300 park skis are for) I'm 6' and 160 lbs. The skis I'm thinking of are:

Moment Ruby - would I want the 188's or 180's? It'll be first and foremost a pow ski.

Surface Live Life - would these be big enough for me so I won't be tip diving?

Scratch Steeze - Graphics are questionable but 186 seems like a good length.

Thanks for any input.

i don't know anything about the skis you mentioned, but unless you're getting a sick deal on the rossi's (guessing that you aren't), I'd support one of the smaller companies. 188 Moments sound about right, as Mammoth has room to let 'em run. Aren't the surface skis pretty symmetrical? Might get hooky at speed? Although you might like that coming from a giant terrain park.
    slopstyle crosscarver junior

Alright, I'm not sure what you mean by hooky for the live lifes. As in the tails catching on turns? From what I'm reading it seems like moments are pretty solid, how are they on warranty though? Does anyone have a link/info? Thanks!

www.momentskis.com- email them if you have any questions. Also I know TGR folks hate NS but if you get on there and message link80 he can answer any questions. go moment you wont regret it. peace

thanks, I'll get in contact with them

Squatch Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mojorisin View Post
    i don't know anything about the skis you mentioned, but unless you're getting a sick deal on the rossi's (guessing that you aren't), I'd support one of the smaller companies.
    This is really fucking stupid.

rubys come with a 2 year warranty

let us know if you have any more questions: info@momentskis.com

Thanks for the interest in Moment.

P.S. - Melee=link80

Quote Originally Posted by Squatch View Post
    This is really fucking stupid.
    Really? Because all of the reviews thus far have been nutting themselves over the moments. But no, you're totally right. Supporting the small guy who as far as anyone here knows, or otherwise lets on, makes great skis that seem to be very comparable to the steeze is really fucking stupid. Like, incredibly.

Edit to add:

Would I ever throw down serious money on something "untested" by either myself or someone that I know personally and trust? Probably not. I did buy the praxis before too much was out there about them, durability et al, but that was largely because there weren't any cheap spats floating around at the time. Given the choice between spats and praxis at similar price points, sounds like a no-brainer.
    Last edited by mojorisin; 10-15-2007 at 09:55 PM.

Squatch Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mojorisin View Post
    Really? Because all of the reviews thus far have been nutting themselves over the moments. But no, you're totally right. Supporting the small guy who as far as anyone here knows, or otherwise lets on, makes great skis that seem to be very comparable to the steeze is really fucking stupid. Like, incredibly.
    i just dislike the "small companies are better" attitude. sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't.

also, do you know shit about Surface? because it sure sounded like you were recommending them.

Ok, you got me there bud. Those question marks after my comments on surface meant I was making definitive statements, presupposing my knowledge on the skis.

Let me reiterate: I don't personally know anything about those skis outside of what I've read here. Well, that, and plenty of people personally told me that they loved the steeze. I simply brought up a couple of thinking points. Sorry to offend your touchy sensibilities there squatchy.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm kind of curious about the Volkl Gotama and Sir Francis Bacon, it looks like the Gotama is popular but what do you guys think of the Francis Bacon, way too soft? I'm still looking at the Moment Ruby as well. I'd like to support small companies but I want to make sure I get a good product as well, thanks again.

The Bacons and The Gotama are pretty different animals. The Goats are a (mid) fat twin with a fairly “traditional” sidecut. The Bacons are fatter and have a “snowboard-like” sidecut and are similar is shape to the Livelifes.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

That would make the Bacons more maneuverable in trees right? I think that's kind of what I'm aiming for, but then that sacrifices stiffness. I think now I just have to try to demo the skis. Basically the Gotama and Ruby have more traditional sidecut with more length for more traditional, strait-lining skiing while the Bacon and Live Life have the "snowboard-like" sidecut for more carvy, jumping skiing? Thanks, that really helps my choice, I hadn't thought sidecut had such an effect.

Surface skis

Hey could I jump on this thread and ask a quick question somewhat related to the initial question? I have some Surface Live Life 2's on layaway and the salesman said I could appy the $ to another ski if I decided to before I take them off layaway. They're last year's model and the tails are wider than this years and I wondered if they're going to be a little hooky especially at speed. Has anyone ever tried boards that are that close to symmetrical from tip to tail?
    Thanks for any feedback.

Basically the Gotama and Ruby have more traditional sidecut with more length for more traditional, strait-lining skiing while the Bacon and Live Life have the "snowboard-like" sidecut for more carvy, jumping skiing? Thanks, that really helps my choice, I hadn't thought sidecut had such an effect.
    Yes, basically.

But remember that too much sidecut (often) leads to "hooky" turns in the tricky snow. Straight sidecut lets you slide/smear your turns easier = more manouverability(sp?) in the end.

I guess Bacon and similar skis have lots of sidecut for carving off BC booters, Pollard style?
    Last edited by Jiehkevarri; 11-07-2008 at 04:37 AM.
    "Average summit heights are around 1000m to 1200m but on the high glaciers of the main Lyngen Peninsula there are summits over 1400m with Jiehkkevarri being the highest at 1834m above sea level."

Just to add- I just skied my Steezes for the first time on Wednesday, and I liked them much better than any pair of Gotamas I've been on (which include the older ones and newer).