About you might know what, and where:

Sunday, amidst the leaves and snow frosted peaks (1 inch +) I went out with the GMC and some TTippers to put in erosion control measures. I am waiting for the GMC position statement before a full TR.

I came away with the following notion: Folks, this was a way over the top slash and there's a lot more to the plot than is widely known. Please, let it rest and recover. I will avoid it for at least 4 years.

Treat it the way climbers treat a voluntary cliff closure during the raptor nesting and fledging season...just don't go. There's plenty elsewhere.

That's it for now, thanks,
    Rob
    The sad truth is that whine does not age well

Oh, that makes so much sense...
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

What did you guys do? Set up some cross-ways logfall? Bales of hay?
    Curious how you stabilize a slope that steep/fragile/rocky?

Thanks for doing it, though. It needed to be done.
    I would imagine that for anyone that has seen the pics, its an area to be avoided in thin cover given the stumps and shit lurking underneath.
    . . .

Have the dudes who did it given any sort of explanation, or are there any rumors?
    Were they simply idiots?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Oh, that makes so much sense...
    That was my reaction too...

edit: I thought it was about that but I wasn't sure.....
    Last edited by BigJay; 10-15-2007 at 11:22 AM.
    Just ski down there and jump of a somethin' fer cryin' out loud!

-Pain McShlonkey

Good luck, but I can guarantee you with the amount of traffic it sees, its going to be very tough to stop. Still cant understand these guys....
    Live Free or Die

Thanks folks...
    I have mostly the same concerns/reactions as were voiced here. The land is a Conserve and was until the instant matter, home to some relatively tame birdwatching...as these things go. Being a protected area allows a lot of critters to live as they like..saw some of that first hand.

For instance we happened across a moose bed. I saw a pile of the fresh close by and it was still radiating heat. A little lower down there was a nice beech tree with healed bear claw tracks way the hell up into the tiny branches.

We were able to set in waterbars as was mentioned...no hay bales though. We were able to wrap up brush with twine and stake it down tight on the uphill side of such solid waterbars as we could place. We went through a about 50 18" stakes, managing to place all of them w/o any pungi effect.

Speaking of that...The non-skiers were unconcerned about stuff sticking up, but we managed to keep the profiles down. We did that because it is understood that even though many folks may leave it alone just because we are asking them to...at least until the root masses are renewed(3-4 years imo)...some folks might not be aware of the good reason for staying off it.

PS: There are rumours, but I will wait until the truth comes out. I have my ideas about what was being done and why...but as of the moment I have no proof to back up my hunches. For the moment I am more concerned about the mess this makes for the environmental stewards of this land. They are in the position of having the authority to use brute force if they have to and also loving the freedom of the hills. The backlash of it all could be truly awful....that is the biggest concern after the erosion problem.
    Last edited by robrox; 10-15-2007 at 02:29 PM.
    The sad truth is that whine does not age well

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Have the dudes who did it given any sort of explanation, or are there any rumors?
    Were they simply idiots?
    They wanted to make a statement, apparently cutting quietly isn't cool anymore Its my perception that they're more rednecks than skiers and probably enjoyed the cutting more than they would the skiing.

And yes, they are idiots