Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post Bear Activists Killed and Eaten by Bears in Katmai

Bear kills campaigner (MORON) in Alaska
    The Katmai National Park is a prime viewing spot for brown bears
    The founder of an animal welfare group which campaigns for the protection of grizzly bears, has been killed by a bear during a camping trip in Alaska.

The bodies of Timothy Treadwell, 46, and his camping companion Amie Huguenard, 37, were found in the Katmai National Park.

Mr Treadwell's website said he had lived peacefully with Alaskan grizzlies since the late 1980s "without weapons".

Park rangers later killed two aggressive bears they discovered at the campsite and closed the park.

'Ex-delinquent'

Mr Treadwell founded the Grizzly People group to help preserve bears and their wilderness habitat.

"Our goal is to elevate the grizzly to the kindred state of the whale and dolphin through supportive education in the hopes that humans will learn to live in peace with the bear, wilderness and fellow humans," according to the Grizzly People website.

In the last two years I've had zero aggressive situations with bears
    Timothy Treadwell
    It says Mr Treadwell "immerses himself among these fascinating animals".

"Living without weapons or fire, Treadwell studies the animals, all the while protecting them from humans who would kill them for trophies and their valuable body parts," it says.

In an interview with actor and environmentalist Leonardo DiCaprio's website, Mr Treadwell said he was a former juvenile delinquent but working with and studying bears had changed him.

During his time in the wild he videoed and photographed the creatures and was the co-author of a book entitled Among Grizzlies: Living with Wild Bears in Alaska.
    King of Beasts

Introducing his book Mr Treadwell says: "The grizzly bear is one of a very few remaining on earth that can kill a human in physical combat. It can decapitate with a single swipe, or grotesquely disfigure a person in rapid order.

"Within the last wilderness areas where they dwell, they are the undisputed king of all beasts, I know this all very well. My name is Timothy Treadwell, and I live with the wild grizzly."

Mr Treadwell's death was the first fatal bear attack in Katmai for at least 15 years, according to the Park Service.

The park is a key site for viewing huge brown bears, the coastal cousins of grizzlies, as they feast on salmon.

In the past, Mr Treadwell's behaviour was criticised by Park Service officials and biologists, who expressed concern for his safety and the message he was sending out to others.

BBC Story

Thumbs up Re: Bear Activists Killed and Eaten by Bears in Katmai

Originally posted by Lane Meyer
    Bear kills campaigner (MORON) in Alaska
    The BBC's standards of impartiality have really taken a knock of late.

Angry

They're wild animals ppl - wild animals and you are just a link in the food chain........

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image...03bodyflag.jpg

I admit, I couldn't help but add that editorial comment - I mean, come on, bears are animals, and when they get hungry and desperate, they could care less if you are trying to help them. See the movie Alive for further reference.

I can't type

Well I guess the "party animals" as he referred to them as got a little rowdy.

The ranger had to fire 11 rounds into the first bear, dropping it only 12 feet from him.Sheeeeezz.

GRIZZLY PEOPLE POSOLE STEW
    (Low Fat - Low Salt)
    by Maurice D. Wilson - Tucson, Arizona

I have cooked this, with excellent results, using chicken stock. This recipe differs from the basic Posole recipe in that it incorporates beans, tomatoes, chili's, and green onion, - more of a stew mixture, hence the name Posole Stew. The original recipe is authentic and very good. This recipe has a number of different flavors and is more robust. I, quite frankly, prefer this more hearty version.

STOCK DAY
    This recipe starts with good stock. The stock is quite easy to make, takes less time and is excellent. (Don't use commercial stock. It contains preservatives and too much salt.)

Stock
    5 to 6 lbs of bare beef rendering bones, sawed into 2in. pieces
    3 - yellow onions - unpeeled and chopped
    1 - bunch of Carrots, unpeeled - chopped
    1 - bunch of celery - chopped
    1 Bay Leaf
    1 tsp of Thyme
    6 quarts of water
    Tell your butcher that you need bare rendering bones. They should have very little meat on them, so they should be cheap. Have him saw them into 2 - inch pieces. Roast the bones in an uncovered pan at 400 for 2 hours. Be careful with this because your own oven may be a bit too hot. Watch the bones, which you want to be light toasty brown, not black. Place the roasted bones, along with the fat, in a 20 - quart soup pot and add the water. Add the carrots, celery, onions, bay leaf and thyme. (The onion peel will give a nice color to the stock). Bring to a boil, uncovered, skim off any foam, and then simmer for 12 hours. You will need to add water to keep the soup up to the same level. (Mark on a stick from top edge of pot to stock). Do not salt the stock. When done, strain stock and put in the refrigerator. Allow fat to rise and solidify on top of the stock. The fat will seal the stock and allow you to keep it for several days. Stock also freezes well.

GRIZZLY PEOPLE POSOLE STEW
    3-quarts of your stock
    1-1/2 lb of uncooked Posole (nixtamal), well rinsed
    2 -1/2 lb (Lean) Sirloin (Loin cut) or Loin (approx. 1 to 1-1/2 in. thick)
    *l large onion - chopped
    *1 whole head of garlic w/ top cut off
    *3 tsp of oregano
    *2 large bay leaves or 4 small
    *5 mounded Tbls of Ariz. Santa Cruz or N Mex. Chili
    Powder (pure red chili powder- not the commercial mix)
    3 - 15oz. cans of "no salt added" peeled tomatoes,
    chopped
    12 - Fresh green Anaheim chilis, roasted and chopped
    2- 15 oz. cans of no salt Pinto Beans, rinsed well,
    or a equal amount of fresh cooked (plain)
    2 bunches of green onions including most of the tops
    cut in 1 in. pieces
    Black Pepper to taste

Posole Day.
    1-1/2 lb of uncooked Nixtamal, or 16oz of dried. (This is a form of hominy and can be purchased in markets that cater to an Hispanic clientele. It is better for this purpose than hominy, however, I have seen posole made with hominy and seems to work okay) Measure out nixtamal, pick clean, wash, and put into about 8 quarts of water, bring to a rolling boil and, covered, boil for about 2-3 hours, or longer, until the "corns" blossom into kind of a "flower". Not all of them will do this but the majority will. (When nixtamal is done; strain, rinse well and set aside. Nixtamal can be done a day or two in advance. Put in bowl and cover with cooking liquid and plastic wrap. Keep in frig. When ready for use rinse well.) Now while the Nixtamal is cooking. . .

. . .start a, hot, mesquite (or your favorite wood) fire in a charcoal grill (smoker), off to one side of the grill. Trim meat of all extraneous fat. Place in shallow throw away foil pan or sheet of foil, on the side of the grill without the fire. Cook until well smoked, and "done'ish" throughout, about 30 to 40 min. depending on thickness, fire, etc. Turn meat about half way through cooking time. When done, cool to handle and cut across the grain into small bite size pieces. Set aside.

After the meat is done, spread the coals and put the Anaheim chilis on the grill. Roast them until the skins turn mostly brownish black, do not burn. Put them into a plastic bag and allow them to steam for 20 to 30 min. Skin them, cut open and de-seed and de-vein them. Chop into small bite size pieces. Set aside.

Skim fat off of stock. To de-fat further, line a large strainer with cheesecloth filled with ice cubes and pour stock through this. Use a full 3 quarts of stock. Freeze the other half for a future batch or other uses. Place stock in stock pot. Heat and add - all items above marked with *. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour. Sieve out all the stuff (throw away) and return liquid to pot (3 quarts - check with the marked stick). Put in chopped Meat, Nixtamal, Beans, Tomatoes, Green Chili's. Simmer whole thing for another hour, covered. The last 10 minutes of cooking add the Green Onions to pot. Serve with gordita (thick) corn tortillas, warmed. Garnish each serving with Hard (white) Mexican cheese, plenty of chopped fresh Cilantro and squeeze in half a fresh lime.

This recipe takes time to do so you should enjoy cooking and preparing exquisite food before attempting, but I guarantee, if you take the time to collect the proper ingredients and the time to cook it, you will impress everybody lucky enough to be served this extremely flavorful and healthy dish.

http://www.lvrj.com/images/webextras...gfried_roy.jpg

If that fucker makes me tickle his nuts with my tail one more time, I swear I'll kill him.

Silly old tosspot Roy still critical after mauling
    From the BBC

LAS VEGAS — Illusionist Roy Horn of the lame Las Vegas magic show Siegfried & Roy remained in critical but stable condition today after being mauled by a tiger during his show last week. Like we never saw that one coming.

The University Medical Center said Horn's condition was stable early today for someone who'd had their throat torn out by a tiger the size of a donkey.

Bobby Baldwin, CEO of the MGM Mirage Resort, the venue of the Siegfried & Roy show, said late Sunday that doctors told him that Horn could move his hands and feet and also gave a thumbs-up sign with his epiglottis.

Horn, 59, suffered a severe wound to his neck when the seven-year-old male named Montecore attacked without warning Friday night in front of hundreds of people during a showing of the illusionists famous "Crouching Tiger Mucho Bukkake" performance.

On Sunday, more than 200 dorks, many of them show employees, turned out for a candlelight vigil at the hospital to laugh at the bedridden buffoon and ask him if his sore throat had cleared up yet.

They sang the Survivor hit, "Eye of The Tiger" and held their candles in the direction of his hospital room. They described the people who worked in the show as a "tight-knit family who could appreciate the PR potential of Roy getting mauled. In the head."

MGM Mirage officials said the show was "closed until we could find another 59 year old German willing to work wwith dangerous animals whilst encumbered by 17 pounds of panstick make up" and told the show's 267 employees Saturday to look for new employment in one of the city's many thriving strip joints.

Horn, along with the extravagantly-coifed Siegfried Fischbacher, have been a staple on the Las Vegas Strip for years, performing their magic show to hordes of gaping rednecks at The Mirage since 1990.

The Erics, who put on one of the most well-known and expensive Las Vegas shows with their signature white tigers, lions and socks, signed a lifetime contract with the resort in 2001.

The pair perform six shows a week, 44 weeks per year and have been onstage in Las Vegas for more than 35 years. Most were betting that Roy's haemorrhoids would call a halt to proceedings long before he was brutally savaged by a 700-pound death cat. They have done about 5,700 shows since coming to The Mirage in 1990 but none have really been all that good.
    Last edited by bad_roo; 10-08-2003 at 11:13 AM.

bad_roo, you're editor just called. He said you're not funny.

I recall one time watching an 800 pound brown bear on the Katmai as he tore a rotten log apart to get some grubs. 800 pound bear. Teeny tiny grubs. And I thought to myself, 200 feet of open water is a good thing. A shotgun is a very good thing. A 75 hp outboard (running) is a very, very good thing.

Originally posted by grrrr
    A shotgun is a very good thing.
    Only if you have slugs in that sucker. Otherwise, have fun merely pissing it off.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Oh, and I couldn't resist.

"Damnit man, put me down. Just wait til I'm older and bigger..."

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/image...03bodyflag.jpg
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

800 pound bear. That's like the weight of 3 NFL players w/ big teeth and 6" claws.
    yepper

Speaking of tigers, how about the dude in Harlem with the 400 lb. tiger and the five-foot caiman in his apartment?

They're be no match for these guys
    http://www.cs.brown.edu/stc/outrea/g...na/members.gif

Originally posted by iceman
    Speaking of tigers, how about the dude in Harlem with the 400 lb. tiger and the five-foot caiman in his apartment?
    Who gets the couch tonight?
    yepper

Originally posted by Arty50
    Only if you have slugs in that sucker. Otherwise, have fun merely pissing it off.
    It's best to use a barrel without iron sights. Why? So it doesn't hurt so much when the bear shoves it up yer ass.

I can't imagine facing a large carnivor in the wild. Even with some big ass cannon. I'd still see this.
    http://www.kokotele.com/nofear.gif
    yepper

Originally posted by truth
    bad_roo, you're editor just called. He said you're not funny.
    Don't dis the BBC.

"The male, Binky, attained national fame, and the love and respect of all Alaskans, after attacking an Australian tourist who climbed over two fences to get a closeup picture. Later a drunken teen-ager climbed the same fences during the night and was also mauled by Binky. The mourning for Binky was real. He is still missed. There was not much sympathy for the tourist or the teen."

http://members.tripod.com/bartbear/newphoto.jpg

People who don't respect bears deserve to get eaten.

Sounds like they need to hot wire the fence to protect the bear.
    yepper

Wink

That litter box must have been huge!

Unhappy

You've got to wonder what he was feeding those things - the neighbor’s cats?