Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Not seeing the SnakePit that has claimed lives on the trail map. Did they rename it?

Quote Originally Posted by jefemundo View Post
    ULLRismyco-pilot:

If you'd have bother to read the actual post on the site, you'd quickly realize it wasnt the "dumb fu*cks" at Basin making the call, but a concession to even allow the project to go forward in the first place. If you are able to read more than a few paragraphs in one sitting, have a look here and you can find out why. if reading 11 pages is too much for ya, here's a short bulletpoint on why:

The Beavers chairlift alignment was proposed specifically to keep the bottom lift terminal off the valley floor and out of the high-quality habitat in the riparian area.

Bitch all you want about the "high quality riparian area" but don't blame Basin for it. chat with your local forest service buddy.

I for one am happy they allowed Basin to expand into that territory at all, they could have said no-go and F-U.

Doosch.
    I've read everything they put out since before they announced the expansion. Been to all the meetings. There shouldn't be a lift at all, but since there is, they should at least service the whole area. I've hiked in and out of that area for a long time. I've already moved on anyway, it's just sad to see them do it this way. It could have been done better.

The beavers aren't even that great of terrain, it's just nice to be able to duck out away from the crowds and get a few pow turns in, even on weekends. With a lift it'll just be like another mediocre bumped out Zuma bowl. Should be interesting to see how often and how much of the gullies actually open.

Whipski, Snakepit it top right of the map. They haven't posted names yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ULLRismyco-pilot View Post
    No more hitchhiking, which is currently much faster than hiking/skinning back to Pali.

Parking has been so bad up there this year. Can't imagine it'll get any better with an expansion.
    Parking has been a complete clusterfuck this season......BUT let's draw more visitors without addressing the current parking issue! BRILLIANT!

I'm not a fan of this expansion, but whatever....
    Old's Cool.

I heard on NPR that this is the last expansion of a ski area in White River for the foreseeable future. I guess USFS has said no permits will be issued? If that's the case, in the future, they'll have to focus on upgrading what they already have. I'm thinking that 'expansion' would probably also include new parking lots but who knows...

abasin expansion

Pretty sure Breck already has the rights to expand to the next bowl over from Peak 6. They're waiting to open it until they have a solid plan in place for control work - watching it for another year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by ColMan View Post
    Not sure why the EPA would give a shit about a lift there. Heck, due to massive pollution, Keystone has to restock the trout every spring to be able to keep fly fishing on their list of guest activities.
    With the remediation of Pennsylvania, Snake is going to be much cleaner (although there are other unmitigated mines in the Snake and Deer drainages)
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

There are several areas within SUPs that are not developed. I imagine USFS would prefer those are utilized before they consider shifting their boundaries.

Dry Gulch at Loveland & both S. Tucker & Jacques Peak at Copper come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by jefemundo View Post
    I'm stoked there's no lift at the bottom. a 15 minute hike is worth every step if it will keep snow back there a few days after a storm. same as lightning trees....no body skis them, the 8 minute hike out to Zuma is too much.

The plan is perfect for those of us who aren't afraid to earn our turns. quit bitching that a giant moving couch isn't available at every inch of the resort to sweep your fat a$$ off the mountain and whisk you back to the top of the groomers.
    Haha this.

I am really excited about the steep gullies. I spent my youth imagining skiing them as I approached the mountain, but never would consider venturing into such extreme uncontrolled territory. Though opening may be rare, I can't wait!
    Serious all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by cmsummit View Post
    Parking has been a complete clusterfuck this season......BUT let's draw more visitors without addressing the current parking issue! BRILLIANT!

I'm not a fan of this expansion, but whatever....
    For real...Colorado is full. Stupid to turn the whole state into sprawl. Those fake towns out near DIA are seriously depressing. Candelas cancer city sprawl, I70 a constant shitshow.

^^ +1

From "Big Science" by Laurie Anderson

"Hey Pal! How do I get to town from here?"

And he said:

"Well just take a right where they're going to build that new shopping mall,
    go straight past where they're going to put in the freeway,
    take a left at what's going to be the new sports center,
    and keep going until you hit the place where they're thinking of building that drive-in bank.
    You can't miss it."

And I said: this must be the place.
    ... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 02-12-2017 at 08:27 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Making A-Basin Great Again!

parking has become a huge problem at AB, don't think they have a lot of options to address it besides remote lots and shuttles.

Fuck, pave the Beach.

Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    For real...Colorado is full. Stupid to turn the whole state into sprawl. Those fake towns out near DIA are seriously depressing. Candelas cancer city sprawl, I70 a constant shitshow.
    Get off my ski road, you punks!

Quote Originally Posted by goldengatestinx View Post
    Let sprawl happen by DIA. Who the fuck cares, it's Kansas.

Was at AB on Friday and a guy on the lift said the ultimate goal was to connect AB to Keystone, ala Park City - Canons. Any truth to that or was he talking out his ass?

abasin expansion

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Pretty sure Breck already has the rights to expand to the next bowl over from Peak 6. They're waiting to open it until they have a solid plan in place for control work - watching it for another year or two.
    I thought that Breck was forced to agree that they would not pursue expansion any further towards peak 5 in order to be allowed to expand into peak 6??

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    Was at AB on Friday and a guy on the lift said the ultimate goal was to connect AB to Keystone, ala Park City - Canons. Any truth to that or was he talking out his ass?
    Talking out of his ass

|€£

Pretty sure Aspen already has approvals to put a lift down Pandora.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Let sprawl happen by DIA. Who the fuck cares, it's Kansas.
    But all the dumbasses buying those disposable town homes in tornado/hail alley come west to the foothills and mtns. Growth for growth sake is assanine. There is a limit to the number of people that can effectively live in an area.

Just skied A-Basin yesterday and had a great time with the kiddo. My 10-year old was stoked to get after 1st notch, tree chutes and gauthier. I don't get over to A-Basin nearly enough, and I forgot how much fun that place is. I am really excited about this expansion. With the steep gullies in addition to their already amazing terrain, A-Basin is slated to become the crested butte of the front range. A-Basin is truly a gem in the land of flat (i.e., in bounds terrain in the front range), and this expansion will only make it better for the real skiers who already love the place. Dentists from New York are not going to hit up the basin to ski the steep gullies. I doubt it will drive many tourists to the area who would have gone elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by skiracer88_00 View Post
    Just skied A-Basin yesterday and had a great time with the kiddo. My 10-year old was stoked to get after 1st notch, tree chutes and gauthier. I don't get over to A-Basin nearly enough, and I forgot how much fun that place is. I am really excited about this expansion. With the steep gullies in addition to their already amazing terrain, A-Basin is slated to become the crested butte of the front range. A-Basin is truly a gem in the land of flat (i.e., in bounds terrain in the front range), and this expansion will only make it better for the real skiers who already love the place. Dentists from New York are not going to hit up the basin to ski the steep gullies. I doubt it will drive many tourists to the area who would have gone elsewhere.
    That's awesome your 10 year old skis that kind of terrain!

How was First Notch? Nice and filled in? Smooth or mogully?

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    That's awesome your 10 year old skis that kind of terrain!

How was First Notch? Nice and filled in? Smooth or mogully?
    There was a small rock step at the very top and some moguls in the upper portion. The bottom half was smooth.

Here's some pics of the kiddo:
    East Wall Hike:

Top!:

First Notch:

Lower Tree Chutes:

Pow:

Gauthier: