Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    ^^^ good to know, the other accidents must be between 1982 and 96/97. CAIC only has accident reports going back to 96/97 published online.
    Bro, this is TGR, we expect you to go search some old laser fishe to find this out.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Bro, this is TGR, we expect you to go search some old laser fishe to find this out.
    I'll get after that as soon as I finish alphabetizing my 3-1/2" floppy disks.

Besides people didn't ski out of bounds before the internet and social media, we all know that.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    I'll look through my snowy torrents collection when I get back to the states
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

CAIC doesn't cover every avalanche accident either. I can think of quite a few that aren't listed on their site from the early 2000's. Very few actual deaths in the Beavers, mostly in the Steep Gullies.

I thought all fatal accidents were listed but I could be wrong?

They definitely don't list all incidents where someone was caught, even when they are reported.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I thought all fatal accidents were listed but I could be wrong?

They definitely don't list all incidents where someone was caught, even when they are reported.
    Actually, they are missing quite a few from what I can tell, even a few that had fatalities. Snowy Torrents doesn't have everything either. Some things just slipped through the cracks I guess.

But still, using accidents in the area to give them an excuse to expand is dumb. AB needs to expand parking, not terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Seriously, that's lame.

It will be interesting to see about the gullies. I'm assuming as much as the East Wall is open?
    Probably a lot more than east wall since it's not as exposed to the wind and I don't believe has as many massive boulders to bury. That traverse they have planned to go right across the middle of em should be pretty fkn sweet though. Snow boarder post holes, 200vf of beater traverse lines. Sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Actually, they are missing quite a few from what I can tell, even a few that had fatalities. Snowy Torrents doesn't have everything either. Some things just slipped through the cracks I guess.

But still, using accidents in the area to give them an excuse to expand is dumb. AB needs to expand parking, not terrain.
    Where would they put the cars?

Better to shuttle from somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by GPP33 View Post
    Probably a lot more than east wall since it's not as exposed to the wind and I don't believe has as many massive boulders to bury. That traverse they have planned to go right across the middle of em should be pretty fkn sweet though. Snow boarder post holes, 200vf of beater traverse lines. Sweet!
    They expect that traverse to appear "organically" from skiers and riders trying to traverse back to pollywog. Skiers have done it (super-polliwog)for years and some gotten busted for it. It's pretty dumb because you only ski the upper third of the runs then traverse forever with a bunch of sidestepping.

I hope they open the terrain that no one skis right now under the alleys. There are some pretty fun cliffs in there. If there is a silver lining to this whole thing, that is it.

I keep on showing up to post but shredgnar keeps saying everything I had to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

I would predict a "organic" bootpack to that base of the Beavers lift from the bottom of a traverse skiers left out of the gullies. I think you could even traverse all the way to the top of some of the gullies if you hauled ass along king cornice.

The worst part of this expansion IMHO is that they aren't putting the lift all the way to the bottom of the valley. I asked multiple times why and it was a mix of BS excuses, basically comes down to not wanting to fuck with the wetland mitigation. The said lack of snow down low, too steep/difficult terrain, as their reasons. I guess it'll slow people down from tracking out the Gullies though.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I keep on showing up to post but shredgnar keeps saying everything I had to say.

You are welcome.

They expect that traverse to appear "organically" from skiers and riders trying to traverse back to pollywog. Skiers have done it (super-polliwog)for years and some gotten busted for it. It's pretty dumb because you only ski the upper third of the runs then traverse forever with a bunch of sidestepping.

I hope they open the terrain that no one skis right now under the alleys. There are some pretty fun cliffs in there. If there is a silver lining to this whole thing, that is it.
    I noticed that last night when we were checking out the map, looks like the rope at the bottome of Pali will be moved down hill.

I hope they open the terrain that no one skis right now under the alleys. There are some pretty fun cliffs in there.
    We used to call that "Janitors Only" or "Lower Atomic", named after the longstanding tradition of the "Atomic Janitors" who lived in the A-Frame and skied every day. I'm guessing that tradition is long gone as the janitors are probably all Mexis these days?

My copies of the Snowy Torrents are in storage because I live in a van down by the river, so Summit might wanna fact check me when he gets back stateside, but the "6 fatalities in Gullies/Beavers" goes roughly as follows:

2 fatalities in the 2nd Steep Gully in the 80s and another in the 2nd in '96. A fatality in the 4th Steep Gully in 2000 (?) and the one several years ago in the 1st. The other was in the Snakepit in '93.
    "The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't." - Rancid Crabtree

"never buy anything you can't fuel with a salami sandwich" - XXX-er

Quote Originally Posted by Trace Hardslab View Post

2 fatalities in the 2nd Steep Gully in the 80s and another in the 2nd in '96. A fatality in the 4th Steep Gully in 2000 (?) and the one several years ago in the 1st. The other was in the Snakepit in '93.
    that brings back some memories place I worked had lots of chicken scratch all over the walls, powder days were listed out by winners and amounts, it was a friend of someones so they wrote "one dead beavers" for 96

We used to call that "Janitors Only" or "Lower Atomic", named after the longstanding tradition of the "Atomic Janitors" who lived in the A-Frame and skied every day. I'm guessing that tradition is long gone as the janitors are probably all Mexis these days?

My copies of the Snowy Torrents are in storage because I live in a van down by the river, so Summit might wanna fact check me when he gets back stateside, but the "6 fatalities in Gullies/Beavers" goes roughly as follows:

Plus another in 2010 in in #1 https://avalanche.state.co.us/caic/a...=118&accfm=inv

Another just a little further down the ridge in '03 or '04 and a full burial the same year that survived in #4. Can't find either on CAIC, CAIC and Snowy Torrents are a good resource, but neither includes every accident or even every death.

For the record, I believe that there have been more people involved in inbounds avalanches at AB than out of bounds in the Gullies or Beavers. If you count the 15 involved in a slide in Zuma and the guy in the first alley. To think that AB will protect us from slides by bringing this area inbounds is a little nieve. More traffic=more problems, and they know that, so they'll be extra cautious in opening.

I've even been told by some that there might be a season (this season or next) where the area (Gullies and Beavers)will be closed to the public while work is being done on avy mitigation and building the lift.

It would be great if they started a volunteer early season bootpacking program like at Highlands or Copper.

Yeah, that's the same one I was talking about from "several years ago".

In addition to the inbounds disasters shredgnar mentions above, I think there's been a couple other inbounds fatal slides at the Basin. A patroller was killed in a slide in the lower lenawee parks area in the 60s. Don't know if it's on the trail map but the slope bears his name, Gentry (sp?). Another patroller(?) was killed on the Pali in the 70s.

The avalanche history of the region is long and bloody. Every slope has a story. Some have horror stories.
    "The two best times to fish is when it's rainin' and when it ain't." - Rancid Crabtree

Yeah, that's the same one I was talking about from "several years ago".

In addition to the inbounds disasters shredgnar mentions above, I think there's been a couple other inbounds fatal slides at the Basin. A patroller was killed in a slide in the lower lenawee parks area in the 60s. Don't know if it's on the trail map but the slope bears his name, Gentry (sp?). Another patroller(?) was killed on the Pali in the 70s.

The avalanche history of the region is long and bloody. Every slope has a story. Some have horror stories.
    I forget how the Turbo story goes, but was that inbounds?

Turbo was killed on Kelso Mtn in October of '84.

His partner from that fateful day still lives in Montezuma and skis the Basin & surrounding backcountry all the time.

His partner from that fateful day still lives in Montezuma and skis the Basin & surrounding backcountry all the time.
    Which aspect on Kelso was that on?

The north side, the big slope visible from the highway.

Couldn't remember, jumped off the rock, but never stopped to read the plaque. RIP

The north side, the big slope visible from the highway.
    Good to know. Thanks

It's nice to have the CAIC Online DB but incidents prior to 96 or so aren't in there. I was listing off a few late 80s/ early 90s fatalities to a friend last year and he was surprised that he'd never heard of them. Same with this Kelso incident for me, just before my time.

Quote Originally Posted by smitchell333 View Post

It's nice to have the CAIC Online DB but incidents prior to 96 or so aren't in there. .
    There is also the Avalanche.org DB. That goes back to 98.

AAA/CAIC are working on getting the older accidents on to the avy.org site. Its a slow process that requires $$$.

Meanwhile, I know I have been on 2 recoveries in the AB steep gullies area over the years. I think they were in the late 90's.
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"