Question Overnighters, ideas needed

Me and a bunch of others are trying to put together an 1-3 overnighter with raft support. There would be wives and girlfriends and probably one raft with the others kayaking. We are looking for a river that is III-IV, doesn't require a permit and is somewhere w/in reason of Bozeman

Any ideas?

North Fork Clearwater

Non-permited Main Salmon

Flathead (can't remember which fork), mule access pretty cool

I'll look for more tonight.

Thanks Foggy, keep them ideas coming. I'm trying to do some reseach on some of those, but any more info would be appreciated.

I found this on AW - http://americanwhitewater.org/archive/article/1065/

I wish there was something similar for non-permit rivers.

Do you have Western Whitewater (the big blue book), or the Grant Amaral Book (The Whitewater State), and Montana Surf? That should have all the info you need. I've heard great things about both the NF Clearwater and the MF Flathead. The Clearwater is roadside along a small dirt road so access is easy. Its just past the confluence of the Lochsa and Selway (Lowell) so super close to you. The Flathead may or may not be more of a logistical headache than you're looking for. I hear the best bet is to travel fairly light and get a plane in. One of the biggest deals is that all your raft frames need to be broken down.

Here's what I found in"Western Whitewater"

NF Clearwater:

River: 45miles with various put-ins and take outs. III-,III+, and one V that sounds like it can be snuck (this book rates think pretty difficult)

Logistics: The drive to the river is very long and far from gas stations, so be sure you can get there and back...about 7 miles to Greer, then turn east on Highway 11 and drive about 40 miles to headquarters. Take paved USFS Road 247 north to the river, cross the bridge, and bear right to the take out at Aqarius Campground.

Scenery: Excellent. Steep, forested canyon

Solitude: Very good. Light boating use.

Wilderness: No. Little used road follows the river.

Despite its abundant runoff, lush scenery, solitude, and fine intermediate whitewater, the NF Clearwater is one of Idaho's most obsure rivers.

MF Flathead - Schater Meadows to Bear Creek.

River: 26 miles. IV.

Logistics: Access is by pack train or light plane; for info contact the USFS. Hungry Horse Ranger District 406.387.5243. The Middle Fork is north of Whitefish along the boundry of Glacier NP.

Scenery: Excellent

Wilderness: Yes

The Middle Fork Wilderness Run is always an adventure, beginning with the trip to the put in. Access is possible by pack train but most groups fly into a remote airstrip at Schafer Meadows. From ther boaters traverse 28 miles of wilderness down to Bear Creek. The only signs of civilization are a pack trail and three remote ranger stations.

Main Salmon

Not a lot of good info on this section. It says a permit on the Corn Creek to Carey Creek section is not needed before 6/20. I'm not sure if this is still the case. This is the traditional Main Salmon run just below the confluence with the Middle Fork. I thought there was a section below Riggins and Whitebird (100+ miles downstream) that was always unpermited.

I hope this helps.

Thumbs up

Foggy, this is good stuff, thanks a bunch. The NF of the Clearwater sounds interesting. Seems like the best bet is going to be somewhere in Idaho.

Found this cool write up on the Idaho runoff forecast - http://www.myweb.cableone.net/rafter/04rivers.html <<<< Really cool idea

The Payette also sounds like it might have some options. I'd like to find some more resources/information on the Main of the Salmon.

The salmon below riggins is called the lower gorge. It is a really nice trip, not demanding (class 3ish) but big sandy beaches (if they're not underwater) and some really pretty canyons. The whitewater is actually better at lower flow as most of the good rapids are washed out at higher water, with the exception of the slide, which gets really big. Trip length is almost 70 miles with the last twenty being on the Snake (lake). I work on that stretch if you need more info, I have also done most of the multi days in Idaho if you have other questions, let me know. Grant Amarals book is a must have for the state, just to give you an idea of whats available, although many details are a little off. Cancelation permits for other rivers are fairly easy to come by if you are diligent about calling and asking, especially if you don't mind high water (if we have any this year that is). If you have a highly competent oarsman, the sf salmon is not to be missed, although it is a step up for sure. If you don't mind a roadside run some others to think about would be the lochsa, st. joe, nf clearwater, etc. Let me know what time range you are thinking and I might think of some other options.
    Nate

Nice, thanks nate!

So what flow for the lower gorge (Salmon) is considered lower? Think their decent play for kayaking? What is the standard put-in?

Whats your take on the NF of the Clearwater? I've never been there (only been on the Lochsa). St. Joe, whats that like?

Time frame is up in the air right now, probably sometime in June.

Really appreciate your help man, thanks.

Hey Freak

sorry for not responding earlier-
    If you haven't done it yet get your shiite together and go do the Selway. Road opened last friday and you don't need a permit yet. One of the best multidays in Idaho- better than middle fork, hells canyon, main.

If you can't do that the NF would be a nice trip. A little less continuous than Lochsa but similiar feel. It is roadside though little used.
    Lower Gorge would be best under 5,000- probably won't be there til end of July or so.