drug tests for ski bums at alyeska?

this is an inquiry for anyone who has spent time up in girdwood. a buddy and i are heading up to alaska for the a typical ski bum, dishwasher/bartender style winter and spring. we had read that the new owner of the resort was cool and a supporter of the lifestyle (was even fancied a bit of a dead head). we were disgruntled to read, however, about the preemptory drug test for employment at the resort. is this for real? are we going to be tested for the devil weed just to get a dishwasher job? hope not, i've worked for plenty of rafting companies that talk the same talk but are wisely not willing to lose half of their workforce with proper enforcement. hope this is a similar deal, because we would really like to spend the winter there and, of course, are not going to be able to afford tickets. cheers.

no fucking way....there would be like what....zero people working there?

youkneebonger Guest
    good news... no drug testing for pot...the new owner recently did away with it!!!

you guys could also teach at challenge alaska, a school for handicapped/disabled and get a pass through them....google them

where you guys from?

pm me or akturnanburn for more beta

good luck/safe travels!

youknee

Ha, oldmoney, Alta skibum, x-deadhead, realestate bigwig; buys the entire resort with major plans and 80mil to throw down. First thing he does, before housecleaning the managers, redecorating the hotel, or installing 3mil of useless snowmaking crap, is revise the drug testing to allow the herb, no blow, no meth, no H, no E, nothing, except the herb. Ha.

between that and putting a lift to the top of here VVV he's OK so far.

Quote Originally Posted by youkneebonger View Post
    good news... no drug testing for pot...the new owner recently did away with it!!!
    john is a different type of owner. very nice guy. i'd guess that his insurance still makes him test for weed post accident.

i wonder if there will be selective or random tests for new employees. it doesn't seem very cost effective to test everyone.

Everybody gets tested. The herb is still tested for, but is not a detractor from employment.

So, if you puff, they will know. Then you will be hired and asked where to find the dddank.

blame all the dumbass people that sue, then blame the insurance man.

this shit has even been mentioned by our insur company...f that!

There’s something wrong when ski bum dishwashers get tested for pot and yet teachers of handicapped kids don’t.

I got nothing against green, just that’s back to front.
    Life is not lift served.

Quote Originally Posted by AltaPowderDaze View Post
    i'd guess that his insurance still makes him test for weed post accident.
    Bingo. Most insurance co's use standard work comp forms. These forms have a credit for "drug free workplace." So if he wants the credit, he has to satisfy the auditors that there's testing going on. FWIW the co I work at doesn't test it's own employees (but then again we're self insured so there's no credit incentive unless they believed the testing actually made things better).

I blame the pot. Makes you stoopid.

Quote Originally Posted by roark View Post
    Bingo. Most insurance co's use standard work comp forms. These forms have a credit for "drug free workplace." So if he wants the credit, he has to satisfy the auditors that there's testing going on. FWIW the co I work at doesn't test it's own employees (but then again we're self insured so there's no credit incentive unless they believed the testing actually made things better).
    What moralistic and utterly pointless bullshit. (From the insurance co's, not you, Bingo.)
    "Active management in bear markets tends to outperform. Unfortunately, investors are not as elated with relative returns when they are negative. But it does support the argument that active management adds value." -- independent fund analyst Peter Loach

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Huckable View Post
    What moralistic and utterly pointless bullshit. (From the insurance co's, not you, Bingo.)

not so much. like it or not, drug users result in more claims.
    Living vicariously through myself.

Quote Originally Posted by grrrr View Post
    not so much. like it or not, drug users result in more claims.
    When you write a statement like the one above, it should be backed up.

Here ya go.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/05/...sts.php?page=1
    Last edited by Bunion; 10-14-2007 at 09:01 PM.

From the article
    The math is simple. More than three-quarters of America's 14.8 million drug users have jobs.
    So, the writers of this quality article believe there are only 14.8 million drug users here in the states??!! They really think that only 1 in 20 people smokes pot?? They must be high.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion View Post
    When you write a statement like the one above, it should be backed up.
    BACK IT UP LIKE THIS:

Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

positive about this??

i'm heading to alyeska in about 10 days, from far away. never been out there, would hate to travel that far and be denied employment. not worried about anything in the drug test except the P-O-T. even stopping today, i'll only have less than 2 weeks under my belt. it still says on the application that they check for MJ. are you guys current employees? we're SURE they don't care about herb??

It isn't called Girdweed for nothing.

But honestly I have no idea about your predicament. I rarely go there.
    Except to see Kellie. Hi Kellie!

youkneebonger Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BZA View Post
    i'm heading to alyeska in about 10 days, from far away. never been out there, would hate to travel that far and be denied employment. not worried about anything in the drug test except the P-O-T. even stopping today, i'll only have less than 2 weeks under my belt. it still says on the application that they check for MJ. are you guys current employees? we're SURE they don't care about herb??
    hey man, call 907 754 1111 thats the alyeska hotel ask to ber transferred to human resourses , who will answer any pre employment questions you may have....

word is its a standard saliva test with no penalty for positive thc/cannabanoids

good luck , contact me when you get here

Aren't there like six new owners?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

drugs are bad....

.....Visit my website. .....

"a yin without a yang"

I agree with the Hobbit.

I'm a current employee. You are required to go to Worksafe and take a urine test. Marijuana is not a disqualifier to employment.

Trust me on this one