technique extreme...Bavaria style! (NSR)

Greetings,

It's been six months since I've seen the board, it's been a whirlwind trip of skiing in Dubai, racing autorickshaws in India, touring HK, partying in Singapore, surfing in Kona, and now I'm in Bavaria. Flying helicopters was pretty fun too, perhaps a TR will be in order one of these days.

Anyway, I'm visiting my girlfriend who's working outside Nurnberg this year and we're trying to get up in the Alps this weekend. She's only been here a couple months and doesn't have Austria quite dialed in. I'm a complete JONG over here and could use some help.

We're looking at either Salzburg or Innsbruck, though open for suggestions. My rough idea is to spend Friday/Saturday in Salzburg, see the sights, do some hiking. On the return trip, spend Sunday seeing the Eagle's Nest. Another option is to do the same thing in Innsbruck and then spend Sunday touring the Neuschwantein castle on the return to Germany.

Anyone w/ opinions, jokes, or questions can fire away. Hotel recommendations or hiking ideas are cool too. Neither of us have our ski gear over here so that's not really a very good option, the weather looks more promising for hiking anyway.

Danke!
    God created skis and surfboards to keep the truly gifted from ruling the world.

a whole day of "seeing the eagle's nest" woud be a bit much. i would recommend going for a hike from there. the Mannlgrat (easy scramble along the ridge, well marked and with some via ferrata type handholds etc) gets you away from the tourist crowds, starts directly at the Kehlsteinhaus (=eagle's nest). you can continue to the summit of Hohes Brett or even to the Stahlhaus, a nice hut where you can spend the night. many great hikes around there, get a good map. boatride on the Königssee (=big lake by Berchtesgaden) also very much recommended. whole area is gorgeous.

check out the easter egg shop in salzburg.

innsbruck is nice too, you could rent gear and come skiing with us

oh and feel free to pm if you want more bavaria hiking ideas. as we say here, "i gang gern auf die Kampenwand, wan i mid meiner Wampn kannt."
    Last edited by klar; 10-10-2007 at 01:29 PM.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.