Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Best Boots for Narrow Heel, Small Ankle

I have worked for a ski shop for the last several years, and eventhough we have great boot fitters, I still have not found a pair of boots that lock my heel and ankle into place without cutting off my circulation.

I have the narrowest heel and skiiiniest ankle known to man. Over the last three years I have had three different boots:

1. Head World Cup: great all around boot, great comfort, too much volume.
    2. Nordica Hot Rod: Standard liner sucked, went with an intuition. The intuition wasnt bad, but it was tight in the wrong spots.
    3. Salomon Falcon 10: The low volume was in the instep, which totally cut of my circulation.

I have also thought about foam, but my concern is it is not very warm.

Any of you with my same issues found a boot that works? I am currently eyeing two boots:

1. Dalbello Krypton with the intuition liner. The diagonal buckle really locks the heel
    2. Head Raptor 130 RD, or 120 RS... both are supposedly low low volume in the area of the heel/ankle.

Any suggestions or thoughts?
    "You go for it. All the stops are out. Caution is to the wind, and you're battling with everything you have. That's the real fun of the game. "

-Dan Dierdorf American Football Player

Flexon/Full tilt. My ankles are mighty narrow and they've been good to me. All the Kryptons I've tried on have felt just a touch too roomy. Flex could be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by fubar View Post
    1. Dalbello Krypton with the intuition liner. The diagonal buckle really locks the heel
    I was going to suggest these for the same reason you stated. Seems you've already tried them on?

I have the same heel/ankle as you, and just bought some kryptons, but haven't had them on snow yet. All the adjustability in these seems really fantastic. I can get them nice and snug with lots of buckle room left, while every other boot I've tried I bottomed out the buckles before the boot got snug.

Here's hoping the diagonal buckle will keep my heel down before it cuts of my circulation!

I'm going to second the flexons.

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    I was going to suggest these for the same reason you stated. Seems you've already tried them on?

I have the same heel/ankle as you, and just bought some kryptons, but haven't had them on snow yet. All the adjustability in these seems really fantastic. I can get them nice and snug with lots of buckle room left, while every other boot I've tried I bottomed out the buckles before the boot got snug.

Here's hoping the diagonal buckle will keep my heel down before it cuts of my circulation!
    I can definitely relate. I end up cranking the buckles all the way over and good night feet!

I have tried the Kyptons with the std liner, but not the custom liner. The std liner was ok, and the buckle system was nice, but I could see where a few days of skiing would open up unwanted space.
    "You go for it. All the stops are out. Caution is to the wind, and you're battling with everything you have. That's the real fun of the game. "

I recently went to a bootfitter and have a similar problem... among other things. I have a very wide foot, narrow ankle and heel, and a huge arch. The X-Wave 10s I was in seemed to be the most decent fit, and I'm putting Boosters on 'em and the guys are also putting some foam in the heel.
    "Freeride is just an attitude, to go out in the mountains with no rules and do whatever feels sweet to you at the time." -Chris Davenport

I have a similar foot type. I got the Krypton Pros last season and love them. They really hold my ankle well and have the best stock liner out there. They are fairly soft forward flexing, but fairly stiff torsionally.

As for all those recommending the Flexon, I was under the impression that the Kryptons were the same shell with beefier buckles and that is how they got Plake to design it. Is this not true?

The buckles on the K'ton Pros seem much better than the flexons in the past I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by angler99 View Post
    As for all those recommending the Flexon, I was under the impression that the Kryptons were the same shell with beefier buckles and that is how they got Plake to design it. Is this not true?
    I've heard this many times as well, but when I've put my foot into similarly sized Kryptons as my Flexons the fit has not been the same. Disclaimer: this could be due to differences in the liner. I'm using a stock thermoflex liner.

Might be. They're very similar. I prefer the flexons though, they are a slightly different shell design.

I have heard that the flexons have a pretty low instep, yes? This is the same area I ran into troubles with the Falcon 10.

I think I am going to have to give the Krypton a go. It couldnt be any worse then where I am at now.

Why is there not a boot where the liner has an ankle and heel area which can be foamed, yet the toe box is a more standard material? As a boot manufacturer you could then cater to many different feet shapes/sizes by the amount of foam you pump into the heel and ankle area.

Who wants to start a boot company!?!

Your best bet is jut to go buy stuff from intuition, it makes up for pretty much anything.

snowboard or tele.. but then you have to tell your parents you're "like that"

I have a medium forefoot... narrow heel and ankle and I just make sure the ankle buckle can keep my foot against the back of the boot and it isn't too bad.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Have you tried a low-volume Lange?

hey buddy

didn't we have the opposite conversation last year, except i was asking you about your hotrods when looking at the krypton at the same time?

i'm sure you are versed in the different feeling of this boot by now — low hinge point and a more natural flex pattern etc... and i think that in itself does take a little time to get used to on the hill. the best i can describe it is you surf the ski a little more or finesse it instead of muscle it. however you get used to this pretty fast. after a season and some alignment work i'm pretty happy with my decision.

another thing i like how DYI the boot is. there are two tongs, two footboards, and four little shims to change your forward lean. ultimately that makes a lot of adjustments doable without grinding, cutting or re-riviting. this makes life for your boot-fitter easier and if it's a by the hour sort of thing less expensive too.

the other boot worth a look, as other have pointed out, is the full tilt. i have not put my foot in one of these to compare fit or features but have shop fondled them. they are really light and have a fully custom intuition liner. the buckles look suspect to me and i believe was always one of the problems with the flexon, but i have no actual first hand experience with them. alpine hut in seattle is the only local dealer i know of. might be worth your time to check these out too.

let us know which way you end up going and how it works out for ya.

Atomic Racetechs. These are also tight in the instep, though. The TIs have a very good liner, and are stiffer than CSs with the same flex indication.

I've read that these aren't the best freeskiing boots, however. I've also read that Lange plugs are pretty good for freeskiing, as long as you get a softer flex. I tried on the older R1s, and they were tight in the heel and ankle pocket, but not as well-molded as the Atomics. The instep was higher, though. I liked the Atomic fit and liner better, so I bought them.

I tried on some Kryptons, and they fit and felt great. They just have a lot of forward flex.

The Atomics will hold your feet, but they need low-volume footbeds, and toe-box grinding if you get the TIs.
    Last edited by Zalg8; 10-08-2007 at 11:49 AM.

kryptons do not have a super small heel pocket. try before you buy. and go to a real bootfitter. or better, go to a few and see what they all say.

lange freerides?,

but check out the fulltilt, kryptons too.

I loved my kryptons, but could never get the heel pocket tight enough. That's the only reason im gonna ski in Fulltilts this year....
    Drive slow, homie.

I am in the same boot and have tried: Low volume Langes, zip fits, flexons, all with no help.

My solution, which I have been rocking for 5 or 6 years now are Nordica Dobermans. Very tight, best liners I have seen (supposedly cork flow filled, take > 150 days to pack out). I got the 150 flex and softened them. Only thing with a tight enough fit on the angles, heals, etc that I have found.

My take on the Flexon / Krypton is that they are lowER volume, but still not small enough for those of us with true chicken legs...
    He who has the most fun wins!

BUMP!

It looks like I (hopefully) have a solution for my chicken legs... as to Comish so poignantly put it. I have decided to go with a custom-fit foam liner. The boot I went with is the Lange 120 World Cup; which is a fairly narrow fit, but of all the boots it seemed to fit the best. With the foam my ankle/heel does not move... I am totally locked in. It will not be all that warm, but that is what boot heaters are for.

but do they match your outfit? thats what really matters.

glad you got set up. i don't recall freezing too bad when i had foams in nordica race boots way back when. course i was in Cali then. i don't think it's too much colder up here, just more ocean humidity in the air. anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by fubar View Post
    BUMP!

It looks like I (hopefully) have a solution for my chicken legs... as to Comish so poignantly put it. I have decided to go with a custom-fit foam liner. The boot I went with is the Lange 120 World Cup; which is a fairly narrow fit, but of all the boots it seemed to fit the best. With the foam my ankle/heel does not move... I am totally locked in. It will not be all that warm, but that is what boot heaters are for.
    This thread is useless without pics! I'll bet my chicken legs are smaller and my heels narrower and my arch is higher than yours. Check my avatar.
    Seriously though, I think you've made an excellent choice. I've always thought our kind of feet were made for Langes. I have the low fit 130 World Cups and with minimal modification(custom footbed by Mark Elling) and the stock liner I feel absolutely locked in with minimal buckle pressure required.
    Sucks at internets

My heels are just narrow, but my ankles and chicken legs are small as shit. My solution was the Atomic RT plug. I another pair ready for grinding, and I don't plan on changing boots anytime soon.

I bet I have the most fucked up feet on TGR. I wear a size 13AA, flat feet

I know I got the skinny ankles, and as a low-self-esteem-pessimist I tend to think they are the skinniest and most pathetic, but after seeing hundreds maybe a couple thousand ankles I know this is not true...

I skied in the krypton for 3 years w/ the intuition liner. During those 3 years I thought it was the best boot ever. I have put one day into my new full-tilts, it was a weird day, I need a yellow (stiffer) tongue, but now I think IT is the best boot ever. Although I am a bit sketch as to the durability of the plastic.

All I have to say is, "If you havent skied a three-piece boot, hell it's worth a try!" ...changed my life actually.

good luck with foam, i am just not a believer, you can't quite be a human if you are in a cast, so to speak.