Page 37 of 432 FirstFirst ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast
    I think part of it was demo'ing on a course that favored a taller BB height, I didn't like throwing up chunder into my BB shell or going through tech rock sections where I high centered (and I'm willing to admit my skills may not favor the low BB, but, others in my group had the same complaints) and I'm used to a higher BB... However, the 40, felt. like. shit. Utter, fucking, shit. Sag was perfect, I was using the right amount of travel, I adjusted dampening multiple times over multiple runs. I don't get the love affair with that fork, or Fox in general.

Meh, I was underwhelmed, but probably the biggest issue was how awesome the Firebird rode compared to the Phoenix (obviously on different trails). I've come to the conclusion I don't drink the DW koolaid though either, so there is that.

Seems like the industry will never stop trying too hard. It's changed so much since I started riding, I'm most likely just crusty, but, I'm really tired of the marketing and BS at this point - which is why I'm still riding a bike from 2005.

Anyway, threadjack, back to pics!
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

The Firebird 650b was ok but its no difference than the 26 Firebird to be clear. That whole thing sticking slightly bigger wheels on the same frame is a a gigantic koolaid show

I took a break from sitting around depressed while listening to Billy Corgan whine that he's just like me, affluent and disaffected... and went for a ride.

It was supposed to be t-storms at home and rain-free 1 hr west, so we went west, but as often happens, so did the rain.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1908.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	155269

black box is a little hirsute today

Name:	IMG_1915.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	155270

he told me that these bars are approved by Stuckie, and taste great!

Name:	IMG_1923.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	155272

and they help locate raptor nests overhead

Name:	IMG_1931.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	155273

covered in hair

Name:	IMG_1935.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	155276

maybe I should go even slower and use even less travel

Name:	IMG_1944.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	155277

strange terrestrial coral?

Name:	IMG_1945.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	155278

color choices like POC

Name:	IMG_1951.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	943.8 KB 
ID:	155279

if you don't feel like riding you can go sliding

Couple crappy iPhone pics from a beauty day in Squamish on Sunday.

Nice weather

Out of focus

Newb question: what does it typically mean when a brake lever has to be pulled back really far to get braking power? My front brake is normal but rear lever needs to be pulled back farther for the same amount of braking power. Brakes are XT (~1 year old).

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Newb question: what does it typically mean when a brake lever has to be pulled back really far to get braking power? My front brake is normal but rear lever needs to be pulled back farther for the same amount of braking power. Brakes are XT (~1 year old).
    You either need to bleed the brakes because there is air in the line, or you need more brake fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Does the rear feel soft/mushy (i.e., pad/rotor contact seems to happen at the same point in the stroke, but the lever has to be pulled through a longer stroke to reach equivalent power), or does it feel solid but simply shifted towards the bar?

If it's the latter, compare the amount of pad wear on the front vs. the rear. If the rear pads are noticeably more worn than the front you may need to adjust the lever reach or replace the pads. I can't speak to the XT's specifically, but on the Avid brakes I have owned (Elixirs and Juicys) I typically have to adjust the lever reach out a bit as the pads wear and then adjust it back in when I install new ones.

Tweaking the reach adjustment is quick and easy so I'd start there. If that doesn't help you probably have air in the line and need a bleed.

Have they always been this way or is this a new development?

Trail by Ewan and the FVMBA. Recent trailwork supported by MTBTrails and Obsession Bikes

not sure about the manzier viewpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    not sure about the manzier viewpoint.
    It's better than taint cam!!

Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy View Post
    You either need to bleed the brakes because there is air in the line, or you need more brake fluid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Does the rear feel soft/mushy (i.e., pad/rotor contact seems to happen at the same point in the stroke, but the lever has to be pulled through a longer stroke to reach equivalent power), or does it feel solid but simply shifted towards the bar?

If it's the latter, compare the amount of pad wear on the front vs. the rear. If the rear pads are noticeably more worn than the front you may need to adjust the lever reach or replace the pads. I can't speak to the XT's specifically, but on the Avid brakes I have owned (Elixirs and Juicys) I typically have to adjust the lever reach out a bit as the pads wear and then adjust it back in when I install new ones.

Tweaking the reach adjustment is quick and easy so I'd start there. If that doesn't help you probably have air in the line and need a bleed.

Have they always been this way or is this a new development?
    So I'm a moron and it was just the reach adjustment. I think I banged the lever and loosened the bolt while cleaning up my bike last night since it felt fine riding earlier in the day, oops. Brakes feel even now although I didn't test ride.

Thanks Dan and ctd. Should I direct future newbie questions directly to stuckathuntermtn?

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Trail by Ewan and the FVMBA. Recent trailwork supported by MTBTrails and Obsession Bikes

Well, that was awful. Was that supposed to be ironic? Seriously, I support you Lee, but that was terrible.
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

It may not be all his fault. I rode that trail last year and it kinda sucked.

Fair enough, I probably need to leave my animosity from other threads and forums at the door before posting in Sprox. That was unduly harsh, haha.

Rob J in the southern lands.

A picture of the singletrack in my backyard. Sorry but no tech questions in this post.

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Swine View Post
    Seriously, I support you Lee, but that was terrible.
    Lee's music choices require a certain... uh... seniority in order to be amused. In my ancient hoary status, I am always amused by them.

Also -- I like the trail's lack of turns/corners. Everyone a PRO! Turning is too old-school. Corners are BORING. The more people we have on the trails, the more infrastructure we need to build, and we like infrastructure. A trail really doesn't come into its own until there are legions of riders gridlocked on the trail. Then it just turns into a massive party!

Last Saturday

Well, that was awful. Was that supposed to be ironic? Seriously, I support you Lee, but that was terrible.
    Was it the music? I do pick the gayest music just to amuse myself. Or the POV? There's a reason i don't do POV much anymore because i find it hard to care and it shows

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    It may not be all his fault. I rode that trail last year and it kinda sucked.

Really? Maybe its grass is greener syndrome. All we have is techy gnar so when we find smooth bermed stuff we go apeshit. I forget you guys have lots of smooth trails.

Was it the music? I do pick the gayest music just to amuse myself. Or the POV? There's a reason i don't do POV much anymore because i find it hard to care and it shows
    I don't really mind bad music, sometimes I even put ridiculous music to an edit because I think it's funny. I am pretty harsh on POV, but it can be done well, I still will only watch about 10 seconds normally though. At the end of the chestcam(?) segment I felt like the whole scene was frame and handlebars bouncing up and down. Like I was riding my bike stiff armed with my ass over the back or something. The follow cam part was tough to watch because the rider wasn't even in the frame sometimes, I was just looking at blown out sky or underexposed woods. And always, no matter what, watching any little bit of uphill or slow section with POV makes it seem 10x more slow and lame.

Xanandu
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

it's balsam root season

I don't really mind bad music, sometimes I even put ridiculous music to an edit because I think it's funny. I am pretty harsh on POV, but it can be done well, I still will only watch about 10 seconds normally though. At the end of the chestcam(?) segment I felt like the whole scene was frame and handlebars bouncing up and down. Like I was riding my bike stiff armed with my ass over the back or something. The follow cam part was tough to watch because the rider wasn't even in the frame sometimes, I was just looking at blown out sky or underexposed woods. And always, no matter what, watching any little bit of uphill or slow section with POV makes it seem 10x more slow and lame.
    yah it was a pretty crappy video

Some pics from the pnw

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1400198404.005445.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	462.2 KB 
ID:	155446

Things started out pretty epic for around here. Hero dirt......

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1400198486.003509.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	419.2 KB 
ID:	155447

Did some of that enduroing I think. The trail went up and down a few times. That is a hardtail though, so kiss of enduro cred right there

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1400198568.542223.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	209.0 KB 
ID:	155448

Drank a beer in the sun. Must be SoCal since it always rains in Washington

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1400198632.445623.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	249.6 KB 
ID:	155449

Got a flat tire driving out of the parking lot. Must have shredded the bike onto the tailgate too hard

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1400198704.893468.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	577.3 KB 
ID:	155450

If you ever mistake hop for a tele chick don't feel bad since he also wears girl shorts and makes the ducky face

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1400198787.599295.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	397.9 KB 
ID:	155454

Thought we went enduroing again, but everyone had 26" wheels and no one wore goggles. Fail

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1400198843.964822.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	440.0 KB 
ID:	155455

This was definitely in squamish
    smoke crack and worship satan

Really? Maybe its grass is greener syndrome. All we have is techy gnar so when we find smooth bermed stuff we go apeshit. I forget you guys have lots of smooth trails.
    Maybe it has changed but that is not what I would call a good "smooth" trail. I remember it being a ton of unflowy up and down with weird turns and berms that didn't make sense. Who knows, maybe it was just me. Although I got to the bottom right behind a group of guys from Transition (including Lars) and they were as disappointed as I was.