Page 224 of 432 FirstFirst ... 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 ... LastLast
Results 5,576 to 5,600 of 10791
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Biking used to be something to do when there wasn't enough snow to ski. Now, some days I feel like skiing is something to do when there's too much snow to ride. How in the fuck did that happen?
    Continuously crappier conditions at the SLC resorts year over year? Combined with crowds getting there and back?

Most of my fat biker friends are ones that have given up on winter traffic and are to cautious to go backcountry at all.

Biking used to be something to do when there wasn't enough snow to ski. Now, some days I feel like skiing is something to do when there's too much snow to ride. How in the fuck did that happen?
    For me, as opined above, part of it is the traffic and crowding, and also fewer good days in bounds and out. Unfortunately, I ’ve also got knee that doesn’t really like inbounds skiing anymore. Combine that with touring boot fit issues and a very low tolerance for avalanche hazard exposure, and the fact that biking just feels better and healthier for me. Never thought I’d say it but skiing just isn’t a priority for me anymore.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

I love riding... but skiing a day of nipple-deep powder is 1000x better than the best bike day I could even imagine.

OK - I'm probably exaggerating - it's probably only about 500x better.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Continuously crappier conditions at the SLC resorts year over year? Combined with crowds getting there and back?
    Not so much the former, though the fact that every day is a powder day biking definitely contributes. The latter, absolutely.

<snip> though the fact that every day is a powder day biking
    I hear ya... but I gotta disagree (for me). Please see previous post.

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    and the fact that biking just feels better and healthier for me
    Riding is undoubtedly much easier on the body, at least until you crash

I hear ya... but I gotta disagree (for me). Please see previous post.
    Absolutely correct for those truly epic days, but how many of those do you actually get each season? Even here it's usually only a handful in an "average" 500-inch year. Things get much murkier when we're talking about a more typical pow day with 6-12" of fresh, especially if you're regularly finding the bottom, and there's no biking equivalent to those days when it's bumped-out refrozen coral reef.

there's no biking equivalent to those days when it's bumped-out refrozen coral reef.
    You sir have never entered a corner that appeared to be dirt but was actually solid ice with a thin layer of dirt on top to disguise it.

And some of those trails in the EC thread look pretty damn miserable to ride, even if it's summer time.

<snip>
    Absolutely correct for those truly epic days, but how many of those do you actually get each season?
    Basically none. I'm in Colorado.

there's no biking equivalent to those days when it's bumped-out refrozen coral reef.
    This is true as well.

I never claimed I was being rational.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    You sir have never entered a corner that appeared to be dirt but was actually solid ice with a thin layer of dirt on top to disguise it.
    Can't say that I have!

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    And some of those trails in the EC thread look pretty damn miserable to ride, even if it's summer time.
    Gotta grade it on a curve relative to the quality of their skiing

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    lol. Box of Rox. And Morrison Slide. Fairly recently.

I should correct my statement. I never actually managed to enter the corner either.

I feel like there was a thread on this topic before. The general consensus (and my personal opinion) was that the best day biking isn't nearly as good as the best day skiing but the worst day biking is way better than the worst day skiing. No bike ride has ever compared to my best ski days, but I get a lot more "pretty good" days on the bike for sure.
    It sucks to suck.

Riding is undoubtedly much easier on the body, at least until you crash

Absolutely correct for those truly epic days, but how many of those do you actually get each season? Even here it's usually only a handful in an "average" 500-inch year. Things get much murkier when we're talking about a more typical pow day with 6-12" of fresh, especially if you're regularly finding the bottom, and there's no biking equivalent to those days when it's bumped-out refrozen coral reef.

Yeah, also consider that we’ve only had what, three? ‘average’ years in the last decade now. Those days are getting fewer and farther between. And then getting there on those days, that’s a whole other story anymore too.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    For me, as opined above, part of it is the traffic and crowding, and also fewer good days in bounds and out.....Never thought I’d say it but skiing just isn’t a priority for me anymore.
    This.

For me the paradigm shift occured when we had our first kid. Spending 8 hours getting to, skiing, and getting back from the slopes while my wife watched the midgets just seemed selfish. I can get a few good hours of riding in most days and not feel like I've been out of the house for too long. I find myself spending more time in my own head, listening to good podcasts and coming away feeling better about myself. I guess I just got tired of the constant need that many of my skiing buddies had to "be seen" either on the tram, at the bar, or on the instagram. I don't hate skiing, I just think I'm a better person without all that shit.

Quote Originally Posted by YourMomJustCalled View Post
    <snip> I guess I just got tired of the constant need that many of my skiing buddies had to "be seen" either on the tram, at the bar, or on the instagram. I don't hate skiing, I just think I'm a better person without all that shit.
    Sounds like you could use some new buddies. Fuck that shit.

Sounds like you could use some new buddies. Fuck that shit.
    Skiing is a little different in LCC. There are good people up there, but it’s more incestuous for sure.

Easy there big guy 🤪

Can't say that I have!

Gotta grade it on a curve relative to the quality of their skiing
    You guys are just being mean now.

Couple pics to get us back on track. Top is the Black Canyon Trail, bottom is Sedona.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BCT.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	264680
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	W Civ.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	264681
    It sucks to suck.

I’ve always said I’m a mountain biker that likes to ski. Lot of effort and dedication goes into those epic days on the snow, and the routine can get old as the season stretches on. Probably because of that, my best days on skis blow away my best days on the bike. No contest.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

People not enjoying the difficult winter routine is my motivation. I keep finding powder for months and months while the crowds trickle away. I used to post on Instagram but got tired of everyone saying they hate me...lol

Go forth and ride, then bring back pics

I definitely miss the routine now. Also, don’t feel too bad for the EC guys. They’ve got some decent skiing to make up for the mountain biking.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Keep forgetting to take my camera with me on my recent rides but remembered today. Haven't seen new snow in a while so riding hardpack.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk