Page 224 of 233 FirstFirst ... 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 ... LastLast
Results 5,576 to 5,600 of 5801
  1. #5576
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Vancouver/Whistler
    Posts
    11,198
    Winter is coming

  2. #5577
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Granite, UT
    Posts
    724

  3. #5578
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Land of Brine Shrimp and Magic Underwear
    Posts
    5,834
    Nice shots in here, itchin for some dirt!

    Hereíre a few from southern Utah around xmas time. Missin those temps!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4853.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	783.9 KB 
ID:	264320
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4869.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	868.1 KB 
ID:	264321
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4870.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	802.8 KB 
ID:	264322

    And enjoying some valley trails with the pack.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4889.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	875.5 KB 
ID:	264323
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow... flying through the air.

  4. #5579
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    10,009
    Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Nice shots in here, itchin for some dirt!
    Biking used to be something to do when there wasn't enough snow to ski. Now, some days I feel like skiing is something to do when there's too much snow to ride. How in the fuck did that happen?

  5. #5580
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    3,218
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Biking used to be something to do when there wasn't enough snow to ski. Now, some days I feel like skiing is something to do when there's too much snow to ride. How in the fuck did that happen?
    Continuously crappier conditions at the SLC resorts year over year? Combined with crowds getting there and back?

  6. #5581
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,814
    Most of my fat biker friends are ones that have given up on winter traffic and are to cautious to go backcountry at all.

  7. #5582
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Land of Brine Shrimp and Magic Underwear
    Posts
    5,834
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Biking used to be something to do when there wasn't enough snow to ski. Now, some days I feel like skiing is something to do when there's too much snow to ride. How in the fuck did that happen?
    For me, as opined above, part of it is the traffic and crowding, and also fewer good days in bounds and out. Unfortunately, I íve also got knee that doesnít really like inbounds skiing anymore. Combine that with touring boot fit issues and a very low tolerance for avalanche hazard exposure, and the fact that biking just feels better and healthier for me. Never thought Iíd say it but skiing just isnít a priority for me anymore.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow... flying through the air.

  8. #5583
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    3,218
    I love riding... but skiing a day of nipple-deep powder is 1000x better than the best bike day I could even imagine.

    OK - I'm probably exaggerating - it's probably only about 500x better.


  9. #5584
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    10,009
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Continuously crappier conditions at the SLC resorts year over year? Combined with crowds getting there and back?
    Not so much the former, though the fact that every day is a powder day biking definitely contributes. The latter, absolutely.

  10. #5585
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    3,218
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    <snip> though the fact that every day is a powder day biking
    I hear ya... but I gotta disagree (for me). Please see previous post.

  11. #5586
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    10,009
    Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    and the fact that biking just feels better and healthier for me
    Riding is undoubtedly much easier on the body, at least until you crash

    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I hear ya... but I gotta disagree (for me). Please see previous post.
    Absolutely correct for those truly epic days, but how many of those do you actually get each season? Even here it's usually only a handful in an "average" 500-inch year. Things get much murkier when we're talking about a more typical pow day with 6-12" of fresh, especially if you're regularly finding the bottom, and there's no biking equivalent to those days when it's bumped-out refrozen coral reef.

  12. #5587
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's House
    Posts
    6,176
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    there's no biking equivalent to those days when it's bumped-out refrozen coral reef.
    You sir have never entered a corner that appeared to be dirt but was actually solid ice with a thin layer of dirt on top to disguise it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    All ye punterz! Leave thine stupid heavy skis in the past, or at least in the resort category, for the age of lightweight pussy sticks is upon us! Behold! Keep up with the randocommandos on their carbon blades of shortness! Break thine tibias into spiral splinters with pintech extravagance!

  13. #5588
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    5,049
    And some of those trails in the EC thread look pretty damn miserable to ride, even if it's summer time.

  14. #5589
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    3,218
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    <snip>
    Absolutely correct for those truly epic days, but how many of those do you actually get each season?
    Basically none. I'm in Colorado.

    there's no biking equivalent to those days when it's bumped-out refrozen coral reef.
    This is true as well.

    I never claimed I was being rational.

  15. #5590
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    slc
    Posts
    10,009
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    You sir have never entered a corner that appeared to be dirt but was actually solid ice with a thin layer of dirt on top to disguise it.
    Can't say that I have!

    Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    And some of those trails in the EC thread look pretty damn miserable to ride, even if it's summer time.
    Gotta grade it on a curve relative to the quality of their skiing

  16. #5591
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    3,218
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    You sir have never entered a corner that appeared to be dirt but was actually solid ice with a thin layer of dirt on top to disguise it.
    lol. Box of Rox. And Morrison Slide. Fairly recently.

  17. #5592
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's House
    Posts
    6,176
    I should correct my statement. I never actually managed to enter the corner either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    All ye punterz! Leave thine stupid heavy skis in the past, or at least in the resort category, for the age of lightweight pussy sticks is upon us! Behold! Keep up with the randocommandos on their carbon blades of shortness! Break thine tibias into spiral splinters with pintech extravagance!

  18. #5593
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    NAZ
    Posts
    411
    I feel like there was a thread on this topic before. The general consensus (and my personal opinion) was that the best day biking isn't nearly as good as the best day skiing but the worst day biking is way better than the worst day skiing. No bike ride has ever compared to my best ski days, but I get a lot more "pretty good" days on the bike for sure.
    It sucks to suck.

  19. #5594
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Land of Brine Shrimp and Magic Underwear
    Posts
    5,834
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Riding is undoubtedly much easier on the body, at least until you crash



    Absolutely correct for those truly epic days, but how many of those do you actually get each season? Even here it's usually only a handful in an "average" 500-inch year. Things get much murkier when we're talking about a more typical pow day with 6-12" of fresh, especially if you're regularly finding the bottom, and there's no biking equivalent to those days when it's bumped-out refrozen coral reef.

    Yeah, also consider that weíve only had what, three? Ďaverageí years in the last decade now. Those days are getting fewer and farther between. And then getting there on those days, thatís a whole other story anymore too.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow... flying through the air.

  20. #5595
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Granite, UT
    Posts
    724
    Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    For me, as opined above, part of it is the traffic and crowding, and also fewer good days in bounds and out.....Never thought Iíd say it but skiing just isnít a priority for me anymore.
    This.

    For me the paradigm shift occured when we had our first kid. Spending 8 hours getting to, skiing, and getting back from the slopes while my wife watched the midgets just seemed selfish. I can get a few good hours of riding in most days and not feel like I've been out of the house for too long. I find myself spending more time in my own head, listening to good podcasts and coming away feeling better about myself. I guess I just got tired of the constant need that many of my skiing buddies had to "be seen" either on the tram, at the bar, or on the instagram. I don't hate skiing, I just think I'm a better person without all that shit.

  21. #5596
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    3,218
    Quote Originally Posted by YourMomJustCalled View Post
    <snip> I guess I just got tired of the constant need that many of my skiing buddies had to "be seen" either on the tram, at the bar, or on the instagram. I don't hate skiing, I just think I'm a better person without all that shit.
    Sounds like you could use some new buddies. Fuck that shit.

  22. #5597
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Sounds like you could use some new buddies. Fuck that shit.
    Skiing is a little different in LCC. There are good people up there, but itís more incestuous for sure.

  23. #5598
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southeast New York
    Posts
    6,443
    Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    And some of those trails in the EC thread look pretty damn miserable to ride, even if it's summer time.
    Easy there big guy 🤪

  24. #5599
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    cow hampshire
    Posts
    3,812
    Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    And some of those trails in the EC thread look pretty damn miserable to ride, even if it's summer time.


    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Can't say that I have!



    Gotta grade it on a curve relative to the quality of their skiing
    You guys are just being mean now.

  25. #5600
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    NAZ
    Posts
    411
    Couple pics to get us back on track. Top is the Black Canyon Trail, bottom is Sedona.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BCT.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.80 MB 
ID:	264680
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	W Civ.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	264681
    It sucks to suck.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •