Page 144 of 432 FirstFirst ... 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 ... LastLast
Results 3,576 to 3,600 of 10796
    Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    Sweet loop! ... If you were doing it on one bike would you take a mtb or a cx bike be okay on the way down?
    I've been thinking about this quite a bit over the last few days. The descent on the Blacktail to Foys trail is really fun. The first 1.5-2 miles is a little bit chunky with loose, sharp rocks and some little drops off of roots. The trail on the whole is pretty flowy and fast singletrack, and the new trail work about 7 miles in adds a bunch of banked turns and overall better route from Blacktail down to Heron Park.

Could it be done on a cx bike? Probably. You'd probably be happy you had that bike on the climb, but I don't think it would be as much fun on the way down. Your HT in the pic above would probably be a pretty fun bike to have on that trail. I honestly think that my Tallboy is about perfect for the descent. The suspension and tires allow me to really rail the turns and pop off the roots and rocks on the way down. I have a really firm lockout on my rear shock which made my time on the road more efficient, but on the trail, I rarely used it.

That said, I think riding my TB on the road out to Lakeside would have felt really slow and inefficient. Since I live in Kalispell, I just had my wife (and kids) meet me for lunch and let me swap bikes. If you were going to shuttle it, you could probably figure out a way to leave a mountain bike in Lakeside and leave your car at Herron park.

One other variation: There is a singletrack section above Lakeside that you could take instead of riding the road. It's a pretty steep climb (there were some climbs I had to get off and push) and you turn toward Herron before reaching the top, effectively missing the upper 1.5-2 mile "chunky" section from the top of Blacktail Mountain. Most people I've seen riding that trail are shuttling it so they can ride down only, but there are some who ride it. I've only ridden it once.

I have an idea of how I'd want to ride it the next time, but it may take me a little while before I want to ride that road again. :-)

Feel free to PM if you want any other info.

Seth

A few from a burning hot endurbro race with Anospa at Killington this weekend. Just for those of you who don't follow the EC thread

Nice having it dry and dusty so my intermountain west-trained ass could actually ride competently!
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

^^^ I can see tire tracks in that last photo. You've forgotten what dry and dusty is

unfortunately this is now covered in over a foot of snow

seemed like a good time to get out of town for a few days

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    I've been thinking about this quite a bit over the last few days. The descent on the Blacktail to Foys trail is really fun. The first 1.5-2 miles is a little bit chunky with loose, sharp rocks and some little drops off of roots. The trail on the whole is pretty flowy and fast singletrack, and the new trail work about 7 miles in adds a bunch of banked turns and overall better route from Blacktail down to Heron Park.
    Seth
    Thanks for the info. Yeah, the mtb rolls pretty well so sounds like the best bet. I have no problem riding my cx bike down a lot of trails, but it's not exactly fun, especially on rocky stuff since I still use tubes. And I didn't realize that wound up in Heron either- still haven't ridden there. I wanted to go to go to the race this summer for Ben but was up in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post

I've been putting a lot of miles on this rig lately. It's just so easy to ride from home and it's a blast on most of the dirt close by too.
    What crank is that?

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    Thanks for the info. Yeah, the mtb rolls pretty well so sounds like the best bet. I have no problem riding my cx bike down a lot of trails, but it's not exactly fun, especially on rocky stuff since I still use tubes. And I didn't realize that wound up in Heron either- still haven't ridden there. I wanted to go to go to the race this summer for Ben but was up in Canada.
    Herron is getting better and better. I only live 3 miles away so ride there often. If you end up coming up this way and want to ride, let me know.

Yeah. A lot of people around here miss Ben. I was looking at pictures from the Blacktail hill climb last night after your post and for a split second thought I recognized him in a photo with his back to the camera. Uggh.

Seth

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170925_152507.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	178.2 KB 
ID:	212736

lower gut
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

One more from the ESC:

Name:	IMG_0282.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	212738

Mind blown today. I knew loam was fun, amazing day.

Dang! MTB' equivalent of skiing pow

I had no idea, at one point my breaks did nothing, so i started wiggling and carving. Amazing. 1000m vert of this or so.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post

!
    Nice shot!
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Always a riot showing friends this alpine treasure and watching their disbelief
    I don't believe it!

Where is that? Looks awesome.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Having never experienced loam, I kinda have some ideas in my head of what it must be like. Looking forward to experiencing it firsthand someday, but hoping it lives up to my imagination. Until then, I'll settle for the hundreds of miles of dusty trail in my front yard, all while wondering what it would be like to lean more than a few degrees into a corner without flying off the trail.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    I don't believe it!

Where is that? Looks awesome.
    Can't tell if serious, but sol mt trails/sol mt lodge/ monashee provincial park. It's a couple hr drive out of town so I usually have to sell it a bit but in some regards it's hard to oversell. Mainly the amount of man hrs it took to scrape in the bench cuts and move rocks into sculpted bridges and rock armour and rock slabs and the pitch of the trail(endless body English moves over slabs and tech climbs with perfectly placed recovery sections between each move), but the views are very nice, very little traffic(great mid summer option when it's busy closer to town especially). No big airs or crazy steeps just constant obstacles or options

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/south-ca...l-is-open.html

Quote Originally Posted by crashidy View Post
    Rooty flow
    I remember that feature! Espresso right?

I gots to get back that way
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Good eye Dunfee

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

There's no place like home.

Name:	IMAG0757.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	2.38 MB 
ID:	212853

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    What crank is that?
    Rotor 3D+ INPower with black on black Aero ring

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane