Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thumbs down

Another vote for Pacino.

He's done some great work but I can think of a half a dozen movies where he straightlines it and turns were in order.

DeNiro's far from perfect but he has done enough fabulous work to exclude him from the "overrated" title.

The pinnacle fo overacting that seals it for Pacino is Heat. The confrontation scene between DeNiro and Pacino in that movie has got to be the worst example of self indulgent acting in the history of Hollywood. I'm sure Michael Mann didn't have the balls to cut it short but it was just fucking awful. Like two over the hill rockers artists trying to trade over loud solos. Pacino managed to be even worse than DeNiro however, IMHO.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Stop the Pacino bashing. Always at least fun to watch. Remember him in Dick Tracy?

I stumbled upon this thread searching for Charlie Sheen, and was really disappointed to see his name here. So first let me first expel this blasphemy that he is a "bad actor", he is a winner. Let me now contribute evidence that Nick Cage is not only the worst actor to ever live, but has also played the lead role in perhaps, the worst movie to ever be made, Wicker Man. And I leave you with this:

Helldawg Guest
    Costner and Cage both suck balls

At least Costner is a successful musician
    Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid.

Toby Maguire

spook Guest
    well, christian bale now, of course. he's the oscar's version of the pulitzer's thomas friedman. i expect bale to win a couple more.

and all the old guys - pacino, de niro, dustin hoffman, etc. they've all been caricatures of themselves for a couple decades at least.

Samuel L Jackson. Excluding "Pulp Fiction" the best thing about his career was when Dave Chapelle did the beer skit.

Daniel Craig - Besides "Layer Cake" he hasn't done much in the way of good acting. The over the top commando Bond stuff bores me.

I'll agree with the Al Pacino haters on here. We can all agree that it went downhill after Scarface. I'd rather see Ray Liotta in another cheesy teenage romance flic than AP as the burned out _____ who can't complete a line without yelling like an Orangoutang who just had a flash bang detonate in his ass.

Shia Ladouche - that guy fucking kills me.

Nic Cage was fine 10 years ago. Pretty much everything recent sucks donkey dick.

a couple of no votes for DeNiro and Pacino

Pacino is pretty good in Scent of a woman.

Also, DeNiro absolutely kills it in Raging Bull
    is this thing on?

spook Guest
    scent of a woman 1992
    raging bull 1980

7 years later, I'm inclined to agree with spook on DeNiro and Pacino. Though, I still stand by my Costner nomination. At least those old guys and Cage have something worthwhile to fall back on.

The more I see Mark Walberg, the more I realize he's a talentless hack. He was good at playing the young thug, but he's got no depth.

Mark Wahlberg - pretty much just plays himself in any role I've ever seen him in, which is fine, some people are meant for that -- are you listening Jack Black?

Pacino - definitely been phoning it in for a long time, but, in my book, when you do Godfather, Serpico, and Dog Day Afternoon, then you can pretty much do whatever the fuck you want.

Daniel Craig - I was impressed by his role in the Jacket; before I saw that, he'd have been on the list.

Leo DiCaprio is overrated at this point. He's been in good movies but he's been underwhelming. His only memorable roles are the Basketball Diaries and What's Eating Gilbert Grape?
    We heard you in our twilight caves, one hundred fathom deep below, for notes of joy can pierce the waves, that drown each sound of war and woe.

Matthew McConaughey
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wicked_sick View Post
    Matthew McConaughey
    i don't know anybody who thinks he's a good actor. i know several people who like his persona and his body.

Quote Originally Posted by wicked_sick View Post
    Matthew McConaughey
    Generally agree, but I do have a soft spot in my heart for Wooderson.

Pacino is great, but I always feel he is the same fucking character in every movie. Except for Scarface, where he is the same guy but with a questionable Cuban accent.

Can we bring the ladies into this? Overrated=JULIA ROBERTS, end of story.

Quote Originally Posted by butterscotch View Post
    Leo DiCaprio is overrated at this point. He's been in good movies but he's been underwhelming. His only memorable roles are the Basketball Diaries and What's Eating Gilbert Grape?
    No way...Aviator, Shutter Island, Revolutionary Road, Catch Me If You Can. And you can't forget his work in Critters 3.

Has he ever made a movie worse because of his acting?

Quote Originally Posted by Plakespear View Post
    Robert DeNiro. Has this guy ever played anything besides a sociopath?
    The lightning catching captain in Stardust? Other than that the same character.
    How an Irish guy almost always plays Italians is beyond me.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Don't forget about Archibald Tuttle.
    Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by CaddyDaddy77 View Post
    Keanue Reeves.
    Or however you spell it, he's still the same actor from Bill and Ted, the only script that was written that he could actually comprehend. Watching him on the screen using words far beyond his ability to grasp them is what gives him such inquisitive faces. He sucks.
    The only line he has ever delivered convincingly is, "Dude!"
    Hillshire Farm is sexy

Grab both cheeks and sink your teeth into the ass of life.

Cage had a few shining moments, I liked him in Wild at Heart, but that prolly has more to do with David Lynch. Lord of War was a good performance, imo.
    Silent....but shredly.

Quote Originally Posted by Moeghoul View Post
    Cage had a few shining moments, I liked him in Wild at Heart, but that prolly has more to do with David Lynch. Lord of War was a good performance, imo.
    Raising Arizona and Leaving Las Vegas were solid performances. Since 2004 when this thread was started, Cage has been in 21,075 movies, grossing a total of $9.08.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Raising Arizona and Leaving Las Vegas were solid performances. Since 2004 when this thread was started, Cage has been in 21,075 movies, grossing a total of $9.08.
    Raising Arizona could be a career for some. His best effort to date IMO. I think his National Security flicks have been watchable.
    "You damn colonials and your herds of tax write off dressage ponies". PNWBrit

Quote Originally Posted by OSECS View Post
    I think his National Security flicks have been watchable.
    ...although apparently not very memorable since you got the name wrong (assuming you're referring to National Treasure).