Most underrated actor

Jeff Bridges. The guy's done some amazing performances, but he's never mentioned in the same sentence as DeNiro, Dustin Hoffman, or Sean Penn.
    "There is a hell of a huge difference between skiing as a sport- or even as a lifestyle- and skiing as an industry"
    Hunter S. Thompson, 1970 (RIP)

Gene Hackman. If all he had ever done was "Hoosiers" and "The Royal Tenenbaums," I'd still give him props.

Chris Cooper. Check him in Adaptation.

willem dafoe.

in one movie he was jesus.

in another he was a mexican drug cartel leader.

that's range.

Ewan Macgregor
    never done a bad job in a wide range of parts & accents

On the other side of the other thread, I've gotta agree with Jeff Bridges. "I've got a fuckin' beverage here." Amongst his many killer movies, he was incredible in the Fisher King.

Dafoe rules too. He had a lousy streak starting with Speed 2, but it seems like he's back. White Sands was awesome.

As for my vote, Morgan Freeman. He almost got caught in the Kiss the Girls typecast, but it was only for a couple of movies. Other than that: Lean on Me, Glory, Unforgiven, the Shawshank Redemption, Seven, and of course...the Electric Company.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

"This is just like Speed 2, but on a bus instead of a boat!"
    -Milhouse Van Houten

Harvey Keitel

Originally posted by flykdog
    Harvey Keitel
    Good call, catch Uleyesse's Gaze and Smoke, to see what I think are two of his best performances. great actor, true blue-collar guy.
    Skiing, where my mind is even if my body isn't.

--Benicio Del Torro
    --Sean Penn
    --Denzel
    --Susan Sarandon
    --Brad Pitt
    --Guy who plays Harp in Point Break, Bob in Office Space, is now on Scrubs
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Originally posted by The Reverend Floater
    --Benicio Del Torro
    For Fear and Loathing, he ate wedding Cakes to gain weight for his role, wedding cakes. That is dedication.

Just watched Way of the Gun, good in that also. Great in Traffic and brilliant in Usual Suspects.

In Usual Suspects He originally didn't have any lines, and the muttering, stammering, dialogue that's in the film is what he came up with as a way to get some lines, the director went with it and wa-la you have Fester, or whatever his character's name was.

Forest Whitaker is my next vote since I've rode the coattails of others, for the last few.

Ghost Dog is an amazing film, and anyone who is interested should pick up the book that is referenced in the film.
    Hagakure: Way of the Samurai.
    It's a great quick read, most are small paragraphs, with lots of range.

He was also great in Phenomenon, Diary of Hit Man, Crying Game,
    Good Morning Vietnam, and the Color of Money as well as others.
    Skiing, where my mind is even if my body isn't.

I'd say Jonny Depp. Gets to play some of the most interesting roles out there(from Edward Scizzorhands and Cry Baby Walker in John Waters Cry Baby to Once Upon a Time in Mexico and Blow).

Defoe also, anyone see boondock saints?

I wouldnt say Hackman is underrated, I mean his film career has been going on since the early sixties and he has appeared in such great films as French Connection and Young Frankenstein(two of my personal favs) He did win an oscar for unforgiven too.

Me

Another vote for --Benicio Del Torro

21 grams was a kick a$$ flick

I can't believe you guys haven't acknowledged the genius that is William Shatner.

Originally posted by The Reverend Floater
    --Benicio Del Torro
    --Sean Penn
    --Denzel
    --Susan Sarandon
    Didn't all these people win Oscars (not sure about Sarandon)? Great Actors yes, but I don't think they are underated. Personally I would have to say Kevin Bacon. Sure he is in a lot of movies but that is basically the running joke about him. He should have won the oscar for Murder in the First.

mark wahlberg

I found many of the actors listed here to be interesting since almost all of them have been nominated for Academy Awards, Golden Globe Awards, etc. I kind of feel that if they are getting nominated for awards that they aren't terribly underrated.

Now BEN FOSTER. Here's a cat that hasn't been nominated (to the best of my knowledge) for an Academy Award or any other major award to date, yet he consistently turns in superior performances in any film that he's in. In addition, you never see him in the tabloids doing stupid shit. He's like the epitomy of a real working actor.

Many of the films he's been in have been stellar:

LEAVE NO TRACE
    HELL OR HIGHWATER

And he even manages to elevate some of the crappy and mediorcre films he's been in:
    The early X-Men movies (he was Angel, in case you forgot)
    3:10 To Yuma (sorry, the remake was nowhere near as good as the orignal, but Foster was pretty mesmerizing as the baddie).
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

You bumped a post sttarted by a person who’s dead. You could at least tip your fucking hat.