Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Phat luvs, Dawn Patrols, ARWs
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

Foothills of the VT mountain where it never snows
    I suggest that before you buy, you let her demo. And demo the same ski in different sizes--it's amazing how that can make a difference. Picking out the perfect pair of skis is so personal...what's right for me isn't necessarily right for her or for altagirl or for anyone else. That said, here are my 2 cents of experience:

I agree with altagirl about the Rossis being the worst noodles I've ever skied, and I'm certain I do not rip it up as aggressively as altagirl. I am much more a "finesse and refine-my-technique" kind of skier, especially as I've gotten older. I know equal amounts of women who like and hate the Rossis. What seems to be the common denominator is weight: heavier women seem to overpower Rossis, even in longer lengths. I am 5'4", like your wife, but weigh 145 lbs. At her lighter weight, she might like them. It's hard to say.

I have a pair of the Phat Luvs in a 167 from a few years ago (when they were 90 underfoot and chartreuse), mounted with Naxos, and I love them. I've skied them in all kinds of conditions, in the Northeast and out West, though I've never used them in the PNW (but I have used them in wet, heavy crud and found they responded very well). I have not tested the newer model.

I also have the Salomon Scream 8W (now called Siam N10) in a 168 (or 169, can't remember), which I think is 75 underfoot. These are my everyday skis in VT, and I took them to Southern CO last March and found they were great in everything I came across (we had everything from freshies to ice to windblown styrofoam to corn to deep wet snow to mush in 10 days). She might not think this ski is fat enough for the PNW. But I throw it out there as a thought because while the words of the day are "go fatter," some people find they enjoy a ski that's a bit skinnier underfoot. I probably wouldn't go less than 75 underfoot for the PNW though.
    Raise 'em Jay. And remember: Safety Third!

LetsPlanTrips.com

Our photo galleries

Quote Originally Posted by SheSkisTrees View Post
    I also have the Salomon Scream 8W (now called Siam N10) in a 168 (or 169, can't remember), which I think is 75 underfoot.
    I should mention that AlpineMom's 158 Exclusive Legends are replacing her 160 Scream 8Ws, which will now be her rock skis. The edge hold on the Dynastars blew her away.
    not counting days 2016-17

Foothills of the VT mountain where it never snows
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinedad View Post
    I should mention that AlpineMom's 158 Exclusive Legends are replacing her 160 Scream 8Ws, which will now be her rock skis. The edge hold on the Dynastars blew her away.
    Lots of folks at Jay have the Legends and rave about the edge hold. I am planning to demo them this winter.
    Raise 'em Jay. And remember: Safety Third!

LetsPlanTrips.com

Our photo galleries

Quote Originally Posted by SheSkisTrees View Post
    Lots of folks at Jay have the Legends and rave about the edge hold. I am planning to demo them this winter.
    You really should. I can't overstate how much she loved these skis. It was the biggest jump in confidence I've seen in her skiing since... well, since she got the Phat Luvs and started to really love the deep. With the Legends on her feet, she actually skied a 55+ degree rock-strewn pitch -- some of the gnarliest in-bounds terrain I've seen anywhere in a good snow year, which last year wasn't. It wasn't pretty, and she needed some coaching, but she kept control and her cool and got down it.

FWIW, the Harbl's accolytes at realskiers just named it the top choice for "women's all-mountain roaming (aggressive)."
    not counting days 2016-17