Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Guitar Hero 3!

not only because it doesn't sound good but its a bitch to play... you can't hammer on the really fast trills and the chord changes are fast and offbeat

i happened to catch the southpark guitar queer-o while back in the states and it affirmed my preconceptions of the game. it keeps sounding kinda fun, but seems really really ghey for a real guitar player. and just kinda ghey for everyone else.

pick up a real guitar! it's not that difficult.

Once I rose above the noise and confusion
    Just to get a glimpse beyond the illusion
    I was soaring ever higher, but I flew too high
    Though my eyes could see I still was a blind man
    Though my mind could think I still was a mad man
    I hear the voices when I'm dreamin',
    I can hear them say

(Chorus)
    Carry on my wayward son,
    For there'll be peace when you are done
    Lay your weary head to rest
    Now don't you cry no more

I have it ripz and i've played real guitar for ... 8 years or so and enjoy it. Its not anything remotely close to a real guitar other than its shape, as it shouldn't be. It does provide some entertainment though, and you'll pick it up really quickly.

i guess it cant be much different than playing metal tunes in drop d tuning.

on a playskool geetar.

Real instruments are for old people...

I had never actually seen this game...until Thanksgiving day. I was at a buddy's place, and he picked it up about a week ago. It is ridiculously fun...especially in co-op mode. I now have my own copy, as do three of my friends from that same day.

I used to only play Wii bowling, now I think GHIII may be the best game on the Wii. Still pretty ghey though...but I am okay with that.

Two thumbs up.
    "I do look like the Arrow shirt man, I did lace up my skates professionally, and I did do a fabulous job finishing my muffin."

Eric Johnson's "Cliffs OF Dover".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_y_kft_3IU

I am a guitar fanatic. I can think of nothing better than listen to a virtuoso throw down. This track however is un-listenable garbage.

There was a time when I really tried to get into Eric Johnson. Probably because he played an old Strat and is from Texas. That must mean he has soul right? Wrong. This bluoobly, blooblooly, bloopy guitar playing sound like cats fighting or something.

MF

Quote Originally Posted by skibuminwyo View Post
    i would much rather actually play guitar. i skrewed around with 2 a few times, a buddy had it, but i sucked. yet i can play one and dead skin mask on my guitar with no problem, along with a ton of blues.... i guess im not core enough for guitar heroooo.
    Its funny how so many people who play guitar try to play guitar hero and get all mad and go on to tell you how "at least I can play a real guitar, you know playing a guitar is much harder than this game(which they cant do)". Just an observation..

Quote Originally Posted by SkiED View Post
    Its funny how so many people who play guitar try to play guitar hero and get all mad and go on to tell you how "at least I can play a real guitar, you know playing a guitar is much harder than this game(which they cant do)". Just an observation..
    Very true, but playing a real guitar is no doubt harder than Guitar Hero.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Very true, but playing a real guitar is no doubt harder than Guitar Hero.
    Dude, it is a facking video game. Playing in the NFL is harder than playing Madden. Driving in NASCAR is harder than doing it in the game. Playing golf is way harder than it is in Tiger Woods.

Why do people get so tweaked about this game? I see comments everywhere..."play a real instrument". It is a game...has ANYONE ever disputed the fact that a real instrument is harder? I just don't get it. I never hear someone say, "I got a hole in one on Tiger today", and get a response of "Go play for real".
    "I do look like the Arrow shirt man, I did lace up my skates professionally, and I did do a fabulous job finishing my muffin."

Quote Originally Posted by cranked View Post
    Dude, it is a facking video game. Playing in the NFL is harder than playing Madden. Driving in NASCAR is harder than doing it in the game. Playing golf is way harder than it is in Tiger Woods.

Why do people get so tweaked about this game? I see comments everywhere..."play a real instrument". It is a game...has ANYONE ever disputed the fact that a real instrument is harder? I just don't get it. I never hear someone say, "I got a hole in one on Tiger today", and get a response of "Go play for real".

Why do people get tweaked? Because it's fucking ridiculous. At least games like Tiger Woods and Madden are realistic. If you have knowledge of how to play the game of football or golf, it will help in you in playing those video games. Conversely, playing those games can help you learn about the actual sports. Where as Guitar Queer-o, at least I'm pretty damn sure (never played myself), in NO WAY resembles playing a real guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by skikola View Post
    at least I'm pretty damn sure (never played myself), in NO WAY resembles playing a real guitar.
    Thanks for your well informed opinion.

You're right though, I totally learned how to snowboard from playing amped.

Why do people get tweaked? Because it's fucking ridiculous. At least games like Tiger Woods and Madden are realistic. If you have knowledge of how to play the game of football or golf, it will help in you in playing those video games. Conversely, playing those games can help you learn about the actual sports. Where as Guitar Queer-o, at least I'm pretty damn sure (never played myself), in NO WAY resembles playing a real guitar.
    And how exactly are Madden and TW "realistic" to their respective sports?

Quote Originally Posted by flykdog View Post
    Thanks for your well informed opinion.

You're right though, I totally learned how to snowboard from playing amped.
    ....my opinion was based on the fact that the controller looks something like this, right?

Did I ever say you could "learn" to play a sport or do anything from playing a video game? NO. What I said, is that games like Tiger and Madden are based on reality, and playing them can help you learn about the sport. They incorporate real-life physics, and the real-world rules of said sports. I've had some friends in the past that are much better at playing Madden because they understand the game of football, ie, what to do in certain game situations, what works better against what defensive sets, etc. Comparing this to guitar queer-o is fucking ridiculous, as is the game itself. See my point now?

....my opinion was based on the fact that the controller looks something like this, right?

Did I ever say you could "learn" to play a sport or do anything from playing a video game? NO. What I said, is that games like Tiger and Madden are based on reality, and playing them can help you learn about the sport. They incorporate real-life physics, and the real-world rules of said sports. I've had some friends in the past that are much better at playing Madden because they understand the game of football, ie, what to do in certain game situations, what works better against what defensive sets, etc. Comparing this to guitar queer-o is fucking ridiculous, as is the game itself. See my point now?
    I have several friends that are fantastic guitar players...and they love playing Guitar Hero 3. There are hammers and pull-offs...stuff I didn't know about until I played the game a week ago, so I guess my knowledge of playing guitar has improved.

Your "point" is absurd...at best...

I have several friends that are fantastic guitar players...and they love playing Guitar Hero 3. There are hammers and pull-offs...stuff I didn't know about until I played the game a week ago, so I guess my knowledge of playing guitar has improved.

Your "point" is absurd...at best...
    Hey, more power to you if you enjoy playing the game, I just think it's ridiculous. And I think you missed my point, geek.
    edit-these are what men play;

aaaah...now my eyes feel better
    Last edited by skikola; 11-29-2007 at 04:09 PM.

I think Guitar Queer-O is gay, but then again I think ALL video games are gay. I've never understood the big attraction. A lot of people say drugs are a waste of time, but drugs have nothing on Playstation or X Box or whatever. I'd rather spend a weekend sitting in a dark room shooting smack than spend a weekend in a dark room straining my thumb.

Baahhhhaaaahhhaaa. Tiger Woods golf realistic. Let me know the next time you smack a 3 wood 300+ yards, decide to put back spin on it halfway to the green and spin it back in real life.
    Funny how 99% of the people slamming Guitar Hero admit to having never played it. Maybe I'm just easily amused or something, but watching somebody that doesn't have a stick up their ass get sucked into the game and start to rock out is better entertainment than anything on TV.

I play guitar.

I think guitar hero is stupid..... AND fun.

Realistically I think the reason why people have a problem with guitar hero is this.

With football and golf it requires you to go outside, usually form a group of people (not always necessary in golf) to create the atmosphere in order to play.

If you want to go out and throw the pigskin around and it is 33 degrees, blowing sideways and raining, you probably aren't going to go.

However guitar is looked upon as a hobby, something you can do at home. So the logic of "having a guitar in the house" and passing on it to play guitar hero seems assinine. I mean if you were spending all that time on guitar hero, why not learn how to play.

Well, most people aren't going to learn how to play a real guitar, and alot of people with the game don't have a guitar in the closet. Also, most people don't see the game as any more than "a game" therefore to them the connection isn't there between practicing and wasting time playing guitar hero. I played it, had fun and would play it again. Please remember though it's a game. It isn't indicative of anything. Guitar hero has nothing to do with really playing guitar. If I had guitar hero at my house I wouldn't play my guitar any less.

Is it possible that people who play guitar hero aren't going to learn how to play guitar because the learning curve after switching seems difficult? Probably, but fuck them.

Thanks.

Hey, more power to you if you enjoy playing the game, I just think it's ridiculous. And I think you missed my point, geek.
    edit-these are what men play;
    Insecure much?

Insecure much?
    Yeah, that's it.

Just killing time poking fun at something I think is ridiculous.
    Odin pretty much nailed it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Odin View Post
    Is it possible that people who play guitar hero aren't going to learn how to play guitar because the learning curve after switching seems difficult? Probably, but fuck them.

Thanks.
    I think you are right...activities are seen as similar by a lot of people. I think it takes A LOT more time/effort/discipline to play guitar...so that is where the comparison ends. I know there are people out there that post youtube vids, and devote their lives to the game, but I think they are outliers...the people I know that play it do it after a night out drinking (on the easier levels) as a way to close out the night and have few more beers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    I think Guitar Queer-O is gay, but then again I think ALL video games are gay. I've never understood the big attraction. A lot of people say drugs are a waste of time, but drugs have nothing on Playstation or X Box or whatever. I'd rather spend a weekend sitting in a dark room shooting smack than spend a weekend in a dark room straining my thumb.
    Or posting on TGR a bo-zillion times a day?

the people I know that play it do it after a night out drinking (on the easier levels) as a way to close out the night and have few more beers.
    Indeed.

The same way I approach golden tee.

Oh mistress of evil, the round ball of death. Golden Tee, my beautifull whore of quarters.

If its a fun way to the pass the time, then shut the hell up if you think its gay... If its gay, then don't play it? Also, you learn about whammying, tapping, hammer-ons, pull-offs, and you can also further understand the guitar parts in songs that you love to listen to. And I am a really accomplished piano player (I've got videos if you want proof) and I enjoy it, so just cus u can play an instrument doesn't mean it isn't fun.

Quote Originally Posted by xtraheat View Post
    (I've got videos if you want proof)
    Only if you are naked and female.