Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Good Charities

www.surfrider.org

a great ORG.

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    www.surfrider.org

a great ORG.
    crappy website. The website has changed for the worse.

www.gotlovefoundation.org
    We are a brand new foundation inspired by a local freeskier who was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, the 4th largest diagnosed cancer yearly with the least amount of funding. Please hep us out if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    My company is implementing a program over the next few weeks where instead of only matching contributions to the United Way, they'll match .50 on the dollar to any registered nonprofit (that's not religious or political, anyway). So while I have a few ideas kicking around, I'd like to know if anyone is involved or knows about some really good charities that could use more $$$ and don't get the money they deserve.

Also, if you have friends who work for a Fortune 100 Insurance Company based in upper New England, tell them about some good ones too.

If it's Liberty Mutual that you're talking about, you can choose up to 4 different charities to spread your money (with the match). I give to a local foodshelf/job placement, ALS research and a charity that does work in Africa. In any case, check Charitynavigator.org to make sure the charity you select is efficient (low overhead/salaries).

I second the donations to organizations for pediatric cancer research.

Also, my daughter and her friends got me interested in Heifer International. Check them out, they are a great organization that teaches animal husbandry to a family, gives them livestock appropriate to the climate and culture (cows, buffaloes, bees, ducks, geese, etc), and requires the family to give away offspring from their livestock to others in the same or nearby community. Often the recipients are women.

Good luck!

Shameless plug: Friends of CAIC

Quote Originally Posted by nogophers View Post
    If it's Liberty Mutual that you're talking about, you can choose up to 4 different charities to spread your money (with the match). I give to a local foodshelf/job placement, ALS research and a charity that does work in Africa. In any case, check Charitynavigator.org to make sure the charity you select is efficient (low overhead/salaries).
    Yep, I work for lady liberty. I do spread it around, but always am on the lookout for good causes that may not be in my normal radar.

Heifer International, provides livestock and crops to villages and teaches them to be ranchers and farmers.

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heifer_International[/ame]

My wife's involved in Second Step, a long term half way house for battered women: http://www.thesecondstep.org/Home.aspx

They provide housing for a longer period than the usual shelter, so that women may get established and become independent of their abusive spouse. It's a very needed program and has had some great success.

I work for our local food bank, Gaining Ground, where all food grown/produced is given to those in need: http://www.gainingground.org/

As an experiment, this year we actually produced about 32 gallons of maple syrup, so some people were eating pretty well!

PS- There's also always Ullrfest, where a group of snow starved self proclaimed "Maggots", drink and eat excessive quantities in the hopes this will somehow impact the coming seasons snow fall totals...

PSS- And thanks for doing this... soliciting and then donating to these charities... very cool of you and your biz.
    Last edited by BigDaddy; 09-27-2010 at 02:50 PM.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Terry Fox Foundation Terry was from my hometown, so its tough for that not to be my first choice, especially after having a buddy lose his fight with cancer this spring and seeing what it does to a person. No one should have to go through that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.