Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Dread. The Terror. The NUT.

Date of Gnarbotanicals:

September 15, 2007

IMBA Designated Epic Ride Location:

North Umpqua Trail - Kelsey Valley to Tokatee Lake

25 Miles of Manliness

5 hours total. 2900 feet descended. 1350 feet ascended.

2-Wheeled Freaks:

Tap and KG.

Weather Report:

Terrible, with 70 degrees and a light breeze.

Analytical Analysis of Activities:

The plan was to traverse the entire 79-mile North Umpqua Trail over 3 days, but real life interfered and after finally tracking the elusive KG down, we aimed to knock off the jewel-like deep forest section that included the Dread and Terror Section, so named in 1908 by two rangers in reference to the disagreeable possibility of fighting forest fires in the impenetrable thickets of white thorn brush blanketing ridge just south of the river.

Music:
    Evil 9 - "Hired Goons"

Start of the day at 0'dawn-thirty.

WTF? Just south of La Pine, things didn't look good.

But Jah Almighty smiled down upon us.

Mt. Thielson cuts the sky.

This is the side of Mt. Bailey you don't get to ski.

Long. Straight. Roads.

Shuttle acquired at the Dry Creek Store. Good peeps, easy to deal with.

KG gives the start of the trail a ceremonial watering.

And it begins.....

Perfect singletrack would be an understatement.

It's not a tumor!

Constant bee stinger climbs at crazy steep slopes would beckon us with pain. We accepted. Kurt puts the hammer down on his 29'r and gives'r.

Oh gosh, do I have to keep riding this?
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

Only about 10 miles in, 15 to go. We rode right up next to the North Umpqua for quite a while.

Fernage.

KG pondering if he left the iron on.

Bee stinger climb.

More boring singletrack.

Fernalicious.

Arizona never looked so good.

Things are about to get LUSH.

Climbing the waterfall.

Planet of the Apes.

This is now one of my bikes Happy Places.

Jurassic Park....in Oregon.

With 5 miles left and 4.5 hours under our belt, it was a grunt to finish up. But we did. Cause we're radicool like that.

The Homestead.

8 p.m.

10 p.m.

Fin.
    You know what to do

Ahhhh, the Dread and Terror.

I love that spot where the water literally comes gushing out of the side of the hill. And there's also the spot with the water curtains, where your bike found its happy place.

Nice work, TAP. And nice representation of Arnie Palmer's home town beer, too.

"33"

THAT is a beauty, Tap!

Most excellent pics.

yep that trail is minty goodness. on our norcal-oregon road trip this summer, we rode much of that same section as an up-and-back from the campground. next time i'm bringing my hardtail singlespeed.

thanks for the TR.

That rules. I've never ridden anything that remotely looked that lush. The PNW is crazy that way. Awesome photos Tap!
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

Schaweeeet!

nice pics tap!

Oh, that makes me want to ride there too! Fantastic.

FKNA, glad to see you got to tag some of that green goodness. Jealous fo' sho.
    More fucked up than a cricket in a hubcap

Saweeet singletrack! I wish our trails had that much green goodness.

I love the mossy river branch action man that is so beautiful.

If anybody really wants to do this trail, I'm going to try to get up there for the weekend of Oct. 6-8 (it's a 3 day weekend b/c of Columbus Day). A second vehicle would be great b/c we could leave camping gear at the midway pt. Our goal is to do the whole trail in 2 days and an easy ride on the third day (the drive home day).

We'll be departing from Sacramento, hopefully on Friday evening (10/5). Any takers?
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunch View Post
    If anybody really wants to do this trail, I'm going to try to get up there for the weekend of Oct. 6-8 (it's a 3 day weekend b/c of Columbus Day). A second vehicle would be great b/c we could leave camping gear at the midway pt. Our goal is to do the whole trail in 2 days and an easy ride on the third day (the drive home day).

We'll be departing from Sacramento, hopefully on Friday evening (10/5). Any takers?
    Lunch,

Brian at the Dry Creek Store shuttled our truck from above Lemolo to Tokatee Lake Campground for $45. You can google his phone number.

We started at Kelsay Valley but if I did it again, I would start at the TH by Lemolo Lake and scoot down to Soda Springs for the first night. The Kelsay Valley section was kind of dry and dusty....nothing special. I don't know what kind of shape you're in, but that'd be a solid first day. At about mile 23.5 we were ready to be off the saddle and drinking beer.

Also, we elected to do the upper section to avoid any Poison Oak, which I understand really starts at Soda Springs and then even more below. If we've had a solid freeze by the time you get up here, I'd be confident that the PO would have died. If no freeze, just bring your Technu. We definately had some overgrown sections that, if there had been poison oak, would have hit us hard. Thankfully, it was clear.

Have a great ride.
    You know what to do

Tap,

I had one day at No. Umpqua last year and I think I road everything you didn't. The plan was to ride the Dread & Terror Section all the way back to the Swiftwater Park Guest House in Idlewyd Park. I stayed at Swiftwater
    http://www.northumpquariverguesthouse.com/ and got a great rate on a really nice room that overlooked the trail. The owner also does shuttles. In fact, he says every year he shuttles a couple of guys that do the entire trail in one day. If that's true, they get some serious respect.

Anyway, I got a really late start so I just road from Toketee Lake to Idlewyd. I think it was about 45 miles. One of the best trails I've ever ridden. Your pics tell the story. I also remember severely underestimating the trail. Lots of super steep pitches made more difficult by the wet leaf traction. I finished in complete darkness but is was nice to ride straight to a hotel room. I regret that I missed the D&T section, so I have to go back.

That was a great trip. I also did a couple days in Bend and the McKenzie River trail (another IMBA epic that should not be missed).

Thanks for the info.
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.

I gotta get my ass up there! I think I'm coming up to your neck of the woods for next year's NAHBS next march. Is this stuff ridable that time of year?

Quote Originally Posted by Lunch View Post
    Tap,

I had one day at No. Umpqua last year and I think I road everything you didn't. The plan was to ride the Dread & Terror Section all the way back to the Swiftwater Park Guest House in Idlewyd Park. I stayed at Swiftwater
    http://www.northumpquariverguesthouse.com/ and got a great rate on a really nice room that overlooked the trail. The owner also does shuttles. In fact, he says every year he shuttles a couple of guys that do the entire trail in one day. If that's true, they get some serious respect.

Anyway, I got a really late start so I just road from Toketee Lake to Idlewyd. I think it was about 45 miles. One of the best trails I've ever ridden. Your pics tell the story. I also remember severely underestimating the trail. Lots of super steep pitches made more difficult by the wet leaf traction. I finished in complete darkness but is was nice to ride straight to a hotel room. I regret that I missed the D&T section, so I have to go back.

That was a great trip. I also did a couple days in Bend and the McKenzie River trail (another IMBA epic that should not be missed).

Thanks for the info.
    Also, I was told that the section from Soda Springs to Idlewyd is closed for repair. That might change by the time you get here, but if not, it's a 15 mile ride on the road until you can get back to the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic
    I gotta get my ass up there! I think I'm coming up to your neck of the woods for next year's NAHBS next march. Is this stuff ridable that time of year?
    Aqua - February?........might be burly, very wet, cold....but probably rideable. Bring your skis, we'll hit Bachelor!
    You know what to do

What an awesome TR! That place looks amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic View Post
    Yeah but then you gotta decide which one of your 150 different bikes to bring, Mr Bling!

Just rode that this week... that's the best section of the NUT! I think it should be renamed "Bread & Butter". So awesome!

ooooh, looks silllllky

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

even those these pics are 3 years old, they look freeking awesome.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

They don't makes those on this side . . . damn that's smooth. Schaweeet trip!

N.U.T - headed up in a week, can't wait. Does any one know which trail segment intersection is close to the Dry Creek store / Umpqua's last resort? Planning to stay there.

Thinking of riding - from Maidu to Umpqua's Last Resort one day, then Deerleap redux on down through Mott on day two. Then to Ashland for two days.
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.