Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by cj001f View Post
    Amen!

Annex Canada. Split the joined country in half just east of the Rocky Mountain front. Construct an armed border.
    Eastern armed canadians skiers will take back the Rockies.

higher taxation = higher prices = reduced tourism numbers = less business for local businesses.
    At first I was ...

Amen!

Annex Canada. Split the joined country in half just east of the Rocky Mountain front. Construct an armed border.
    But then I was

Quote Originally Posted by Eldo View Post
    I've certainly never thought that way, but a while back I came to the realization that while I could explore further and further afield, there were places within a day's drive of where I live that I had never visited. Places that people from around the world come here to see.
    Second that. Though I still do really want to visit Mongolia. Also, with very small children, the "local" travel just makes more sense for now. Moving off the continent is in the cards for when they're old enough to appreciate it some.

Quote Originally Posted by Squatch View Post
    Nowhere there does it say "Greenspan thinks Bush is responsible for [higher than global levels] of inflation." Merely that he is spending too much. I don't disagree, but that is not the prime cause of our currency devaluation (with respect to the rest of the world).

The majority of spending occurs in the private sector. Witness the recent snafu in the lending/credit markets to see that Americans are painfully overextended. Low interest rates make for easy borrowing. In fact, according to the article you posted, Greenspan said we need to keep interest rates high to keep inflation low.

So, the essence of our problem here is that American economic practices, not just from the gov't, but from you and me as well, are what's responsible. I know that makes you queasy, and you would rather scapegoat somebody, but doesn't address the problem, let alone solve it.
    Do you really want to get into an economics discussion? Frankly, you are over your head. Lets start with the basic bad assumption you apparently don't understand, FX rates and inflation are not the same thing. You would learn this in the most basic of undergrad macro classes. You will also learn about a number of different economic theories (all economics is theory) that will help you understand how monetary policy and fiscal policy work. Even if you're not in school, if you are interested in this stuff, I encourage you to take a basic public policy class, macro economics class, and a finance course. No offense intended, it will only help, and you might find a bit more insight. Plus, its important.

-aaron
    Goals for the season: -Try and pick up a sponsor.--Phill

But whatever scares you most... --Rip'nStick

Squatch Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gonehuckin View Post
    Do you really want to get into an economics discussion? Frankly, you are over your head. Lets start with the basic bad assumption you apparently don't understand, FX rates and inflation are not the same thing. You would learn this in the most basic of undergrad macro classes. You will also learn about a number of different economic theories (all economics is theory) that will help you understand how monetary policy and fiscal policy work. Even if you're not in school, if you are interested in this stuff, I encourage you to take a basic public policy class, macro economics class, and a finance course. No offense intended, it will only help, and you might find a bit more insight. Plus, its important.

-aaron
    No, they're not the same thing. They are, however, very closely related.

I don't know of any country that is (or has in the recent past) experiencing long-term deflation. So, all countries are basically experiencing varying rates of inflation, no? It stands to reason, then, that countries with faster rates of inflation than other countries will, after some time, have their currency worth less than that of their slower-inflating neighbors.

So, in 'Murrica, in 2000 X costs 10 dollars. In Canada (eh!) X costs 12 dollars CDN (we'll assume a free and perfect market for simplicity's sake). The exchange rate is 1 USD = 1.2 CDN. Fast forward to 2005: roughly 4% inflation has increased the price of goods (assume no change in manufacturing or production), so X now costs $12. Canada's (eh!) inflation is lower (2% over the five years), so X now costs $13 CND. Now the exchange rate is 1 USD =~1.1 CDN (I did the math in my head so don't get all pissy if the numbers are wrong; they're close enough).

Now, Captain Supergenius, I want you to explain to me how inflation is not a key component of exchange rates.

1 = 1.02369 as of right now.

Kicking myself for buying all that stuff in the spring!
    Should have waited. But who knew?!
    I guess .97 Can for 1 US before ski season. No real reason, just a guess.
    Man, It was great...

Quote Originally Posted by NeigeÉternelle View Post
    Eastern armed canadians skiers will take back the Rockies.
    Eastern Canada? Arms? What, hockey sticks at twelve paces?
    Elvis has left the building

Quote Originally Posted by Squatch View Post
    No, they're not the same thing. They are, however, very closely related.

I don't know of any country that is (or has in the recent past) experiencing long-term deflation. So, all countries are basically experiencing varying rates of inflation, no? It stands to reason, then, that countries with faster rates of inflation than other countries will, after some time, have their currency worth less than that of their slower-inflating neighbors.

So, in 'Murrica, in 2000 X costs 10 dollars. In Canada (eh!) X costs 12 dollars CDN (we'll assume a free and perfect market for simplicity's sake). The exchange rate is 1 USD = 1.2 CDN. Fast forward to 2005: roughly 4% inflation has increased the price of goods (assume no change in manufacturing or production), so X now costs $12. Canada's (eh!) inflation is lower (2% over the five years), so X now costs $13 CND. Now the exchange rate is 1 USD =~1.1 CDN (I did the math in my head so don't get all pissy if the numbers are wrong; they're close enough).

Now, Captain Supergenius, I want you to explain to me how inflation is not a key component of exchange rates.
    Your logic is not wrong, but its missing a bunch of factors. Also, you are framing the argument incorrectly. Inflation is a domestic measurement. While it does have an small effect on the exchange rate, it isn't the only or the biggest determinant. Include it with interest rates (which you mention), current-account status (which we run at a huge deficit), state stability/trust, public debt (huge in 'murrica), and foreign investment. Now look at which of these determinants have changed to a great degree under Bush. Current-account, state stability and trust, and public debt. Greenspan's criticism is in one major area, public debt. If you're following this, then you can see the connections.
    Goals for the season: -Try and pick up a sponsor.--Phill

But whatever scares you most... --Rip'nStick

your going to pay out the ass for everything in whistler and the skiing is crap. Colorado is the place to go

Pretty sure you need proof of having applied for a passport to be able to get BACK INTO the US now. Either way the hassle is waaaaay lower if you just have the little blue booklet w/your picture in it.

Oh, it's also another legal form of ID for the growing places that require two forms with a Credit Card purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Pretty sure you need proof of having applied for a passport to be able to get BACK INTO the US now. Either way the hassle is waaaaay lower if you just have the little blue booklet w/your picture in it.
    as far as driving or walking across all you need is a picture id untill jan 2008 and that date is not even set in stone. as of right now its harder to drive INTO canada as you need a pic id and copy of birth cert.

1.01737 and going down.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    if you just have the little blue booklet w/your picture in it.
    Note: I tried this with a NADA guide and was denied.

Clearly your picture sucked.

Well it was just a polaroid of my regular id.

they thought it was a freud?
    Elvis has left the building

Last edited by mntlion; 09-18-2007 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    +1

I'm curious why you think this...
    I'd say that too. Its now only 6%. I can't remember what they could have claimed but its a far cry from VAT in Euroland which is 15% or is it more than that. In the States you can't claim back the state or city sales taxes.

Not sure how much abuse there was but I'm sure there was some.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

0.99965 gone down

Free pizza in my office today to celebrate parity.

I work for a Canadian company in London.