Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nesta View Post
    Yessir you are correct. Oh wait, no passport! Freakin' 3 month wait for one, you don't say? By then Canadian prices on goods maybe will have sorted themselves out, and I can just stay home.
    i drove across with my birth cert. and drivers license without trouble.

I'm quite frustrated by the difference in us/can prices on books and magazines.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

beer is fucking stoopid expensive here.

The fact that there are people that post on here who do not have a passport causes me to shake my head. The fact that some of them are CANADIANS stuns me.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by tuffy109 View Post
    thank you redneck america

Quote Originally Posted by Squatch View Post
    I could get into specifics, but I'll just summarize: you're not very bright (or have a good grasp of economics).
    I would say that Greenspan probably has a good grasp on economics and he agrees that Bush did much of this. Monetary economists believe that the exchange rate means something. So if you're so bright, you run the fed.....

-aaron
    Goals for the season: -Try and pick up a sponsor.--Phill

But whatever scares you most... --Rip'nStick

Squatch Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gonehuckin View Post
    I would say that Greenspan probably has a good grasp on economics and he agrees that Bush did much of this. Monetary economists believe that the exchange rate means something. So if you're so bright, you run the fed.....

-aaron
    Link me...I'd like to read it.

That said, our economic position as global leader (as well as currency leader) has been slipping for some time (well before Bush, at least). Certainly, action taken by Congress in recent years (you give Bush too much credit if you think he's the guy responsible for this) has exacerbated this. So you could chalk this up to semantics, but in no way is one guy responsible for this.

There is one guy responsible for all of this, George W. Bush.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    The fact that there are people that post on here who do not have a passport causes me to shake my head. The fact that some of them are CANADIANS stuns me.
    I don't understand what you're getting at.

Since I don't need a passport to travel to the States, why should I bother paying for one?

Because there's more to the world than North America? Because you now DO need a Passport to get (back) into the United States - even if you're a US Citizen?

I honestly don't mean to be a dick - I've had a passport since infancy, as have my children. I did grow up in Yurp in the 70's, however, so it was a necessity (pre European Union.) I also travel internationally for work...

Are Passports expensive in Canuckistan? Here they're ~$100 and good for 10 years.

it's $87 for a 24 page passport and $92 for a 48 pager, and they're valid for 5 years.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Link me...I'd like to read it.

That said, our economic position as global leader (as well as currency leader) has been slipping for some time (well before Bush, at least). Certainly, action taken by Congress in recent years (you give Bush too much credit if you think he's the guy responsible for this) has exacerbated this. So you could chalk this up to semantics, but in no way is one guy responsible for this.
    http://news.scotsman.com/latest_uk.cfm?id=1478952007
    Goals for the season: -Try and pick up a sponsor.--Phill

But whatever scares you most... --Rip'nStick

I could get into specifics, but I'll just summarize: you're not very bright (or have a good grasp of economics).
    I didn't say that I agree with what this thread was about...I just said that's what I got from reading the first post in this thread.

Please do get into specifics though since you clearly are the sharpest tool in the box.
    Last edited by Adolf Allerbush; 09-17-2007 at 10:58 AM.

but in no way is one guy responsible for this.
    like rove, cheney and rumsfeld?
    fine

I honestly don't mean to be a dick - I've had a passport since infancy, as have my children. I did grow up in Yurp in the 70's, however, so it was a necessity (pre European Union.) I also travel internationally for work
    Well, there you go. People generally get passports when they need them. I don't have one because the only place I've traveled to internationally is Canada, and haven't needed on to get there yet. As soon as I do I'll get one.

Quote Originally Posted by wicked_sick View Post
    i drove across with my birth cert. and drivers license without trouble.

I'm quite frustrated by the difference in us/can prices on books and magazines.
    I'm quite frustrated by the difference in US/CAN prices on just about everything. Yeah I know I can drive across (until Jan 2008?), but flying is another thing.
    "if it's called tourist season, why can't we just shoot them?"

Visits by Americans to Canada are down this year, and have been trending down the past several years. I think the main reason is due to the new passport restrictions. The second reason is it's not so cheap in Canada. The third reason is that it's going to be a bitch for Washingtonians to cross the borders here in Western WA for the next 18 months with construction going on at the Peace Arch and at Blaine.

As far as taxes go. Canada at least in most provinces charges PST and on top of that, GST. I don't mind paying PST but then tack on GST (Federal tax and no opportunity for refund is like some one from Canada paying a federal sales tax on top of state sales tax.) You can still get reimbursed for VAT in Europe on non-consumables. Tourists already pay tax for food/lift passes,museum entrance fees etc. Why not cut them some slack on the GST for the hotels, and other items that you're going to take out of the country.

I'm still going up this season but I'm shortening the length of the stay. I suspect a lot of Americans will do the same. I think the Euros will be flocking to US/Canada this ski season if the snow is good. It's dirt cheap for them.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by cj001f View Post
    Priced in US $ will Whistler be the most expensive ski area in N. America this season?
    No way. Lift tickets are always less at Whistler than the highest priced resorts in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    No way. Lift tickets are always less at Whistler than the highest priced resorts in the US.
    Dec 22 to Apr 6 Regular Adult Rate = $83CAD = $80.68 US at current exchange rates

even the current online edge price of $57CAD isn't cheap
    Elvis has left the building

Squatch Guest
    Nowhere there does it say "Greenspan thinks Bush is responsible for [higher than global levels] of inflation." Merely that he is spending too much. I don't disagree, but that is not the prime cause of our currency devaluation (with respect to the rest of the world).

The majority of spending occurs in the private sector. Witness the recent snafu in the lending/credit markets to see that Americans are painfully overextended. Low interest rates make for easy borrowing. In fact, according to the article you posted, Greenspan said we need to keep interest rates high to keep inflation low.

So, the essence of our problem here is that American economic practices, not just from the gov't, but from you and me as well, are what's responsible. I know that makes you queasy, and you would rather scapegoat somebody, but doesn't address the problem, let alone solve it.

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    I didn't say that I agree with what this thread was about...I just said that's what I got from reading the first post in this thread.

Please do get into specifics though since you clearly are the sharpest tool in the box.
    See above. The bottom line is, no country except for America could behave the way it does and still be the global economic leader. This is solely due to reputation and momentum, but free markets correct themselves, and this what we're seeing.

Well since we are equal, shouldn't we just annex Canada already? Then we can move the US Northern border patrol and all of the Canadian borer patrol to the southern border!
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Well since we are equal, shouldn't we just annex Canada already?
    Amen!

Annex Canada. Split the joined country in half just east of the Rocky Mountain front. Construct an armed border.
    Elvis has left the building

Quote Originally Posted by cj001f View Post
    Dec 22 to Apr 6 Regular Adult Rate = $83CAD = $80.68 US at current exchange rates
    Vail and Aspen are $85 and $87, respectively.

If the exchange rate continues it's downward spiral W/B has a chance at being the most expensive, but right now they're not.

Because there's more to the world than North America?
    I agree. I had a passport back when I was travelling internationally. But for the past 20 years I have stayed on this continent, and driven rather than flown to my destinations. So a passport wasn't required, and won't be until July 2008. (Although I hear that the U.S. might again extend the deadline for Canadians into 2009.)

Tip, I had an inkling of what you were getting at with your initial post; that many North Americans are so inwardly focused that the rest of the world might as well not exist.

I've certainly never thought that way, but a while back I came to the realization that while I could explore further and further afield, there were places within a day's drive of where I live that I had never visited. Places that people from around the world come here to see.

So lately that has been where my travels have taken me, and none of my destinations have required a passport. When that changes, I'll do the paperwork and get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldo View Post
    So lately that has been where my travels have taken me, and none of my destinations have required a passport. When that changes, I'll do the paperwork and get one.
    I have a passport but agree with where you're coming from on this...and shit, there are a lot of places in the US and Canada that seem like a foreign country....just take a trip to the South.