Thread: Weight Weenies

Thumbs up Weight Weenies

I came across this site yesterday. For anyone who has not seen it, it's pretty cool. It's for those who would rather spend a $1000 to reduce the weight of the bike by a couple lbs, rather than stop drinking excessive amounts of beer to reduce the weight of the engine the cheap way. The site has weights for thousands of components and a decent forum. Here it is:

Weight Weenies

I've consulted with the weight weenies more than once when buying new toys for my two wheelers . . . . usually while drinking a beer.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

I removed the weight of my roadbike from around my middle. By far the most effective way for trimming weight off my MTB.
    "if the city is visibly one of humankind's greatest achievements, its uncontrolled evolution also can lead to desecration of both nature and the human spirit."
    -- Melvin G. Marcus 1979

Back in the eighties, there were a few folks who drilled holes in their cranks, shift and brake levers, etc. in order to lose a few grams.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.