Thread: SportLegs...

SportLegs...

....works. I swear.

www.sportlegs.com

ok Barry!
    So, are you gonna use that for the next race in Oct? Did you decide on the 8 hour for sure?
    I am so in for next year!!!
    Prrrrrrr....

Quote Originally Posted by SnowTigress View Post
    ok Barry!
    So, are you gonna use that for the next race in Oct? Did you decide on the 8 hour for sure?
    I am so in for next year!!!
    haha, Barry? Hey this shit is available in your average local bike shop!

I just used SportLegs for my last local race here in Folsom. I had 2 races under my belt w/o SportLegs and then did the 3rd with....and damn, my legs definintely did NOT feel as much of the dreaded lactic acid burn during this week's race as compared to the other two.

Each race is 3 laps on a fairly flat course, but there are short climbs where you definitely begin to feel the burn on the last lap. And during this 3rd race, I felt none. I powered up the last hill with my legs feeling nearly as fresh as when they started.

And yes, definintely doing the 8-hour race in early October. Signed up yesterday for the single speed class! Gonna hurt!! Gonna take my SportLegs!

Maybe it was psychological, but screw it...it's effective in my book. Kinda pricey though...
    Last edited by Tyrone Shoelaces; 09-07-2007 at 01:34 PM.

Yeah it works...or you can go to the drugstore and get some cal/mag/zinc for a quarter the price and get twice as much!
    Click. Point. Chute.

that would be too smart of a thing for me to do

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    interesting. I had always thought electrolyte boosters like SportLegs, Succeed Caps (which worked for me the one time I popped em) were geared for longer format stuff where your body actually has the time to cycle through its electrolyte stash from normal food/drink source. Ty, do you think it helped just because it happened to be exceptionally hot, and maybe your pre-event nutrition was missing electrolytes? I wouldn't expect any benefit for such a short event (sub hour right?)

for your 8 hour, mmm yeah. you want those pills!

P.S. good to run into you on the trails yesterday! I was blinded by the SASS

Yo Chaka - SportLegs are NOT electrolytes. It's a formula of vitamins and minerals that you take an hour before exercise that will sort of 'trick' your muscles into thinking that they do not have to produce as much lactic acid as they normally would during an extended effort. Therefore, when you're hammering or climbing, you don't feel that burn in your legs that you might normally would (or it's a lessened burn that you feel).

Not being electrolytes....SportLegs is very different than things like Succeed Caps and thier ilk. Electrolytes are great for cramp prevention and such...but won't do anything to help mitigate that 'burning' 'heavy' feeling in your legs that SportLegs is intended for.

So I think Sportlegs can and does work even for short events (like the Prairie City Races). Since you take them an hour before, they have more than enough time to circulate and start working.

And regarding the heat....it was actually much cooler during the 3rd Prairie City race where I tried SportLegs. The first two races it was 102 and 105 degrees respectively at the start of each race....but for the third, it was about 10 degrees cooler.

I can't race this week as I'm travelling....but I'll be able to experiment more with them during the last Prairie City race in a week and a half. But so far, 1 out of 1 single speeders who tried them say they work

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    ahhh... ok. makes much more sense. thanks for the education. my higher priority problem to fix via nutrition tweaking is cramps over a long period of output.... so I will stick with Succeed like stuff for now!

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
    my higher priority problem to fix via nutrition tweaking is cramps over a long period of output....
    I have that same freaking problem too. I'm trying to not turn into a rolling supplement pharmacy

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    It's a formula of vitamins and minerals that you take an hour before exercise that will sort of 'trick' your muscles into thinking that they do not have to produce as much lactic acid as they normally would during an extended effort.
    BTW, lactic acid does NOT cause sore legs. Lactic acid is actually what allows your muscles to function, you want MORE of it.

That doesn't mean that sport legs doesn't work, just that it must work in a different way.

Hmmm,

I should try to lactate during the next race..... no?

Quote Originally Posted by Odin View Post
    Hmmm,

I should try to lactate during the next race..... no?
    You can milk ANYTHING with nipples, but you knew that, right?

Sports legs is the shit. Both as a during the ride aid and AWESOME for a quick recovery!
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

kb1dqh Guest
    I don't know, I've used it for 2 hard rides and haven't really noticed any difference. I guess I'd need a better control. Maybe they were just rough days?

I used Sportslegs for the first time last weekend in a hill climb race, and my legs felt really good on the climb. I will be using again this weekend.

What causes sore muscles is the muscles inability to burn the lactic acid efficiently. That and not training enough, which is why the muscles can't utilize the lactic acid build up from exercising at extreme levels. Build up those mitochandrail cells by interval training and you'll burn that lactic acid.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

kb1dqh Guest
    Ya, but what if you do both, interval training and use sport leggs?

magnesium zinc calcium from Sam's club seems to work as well

Quote Originally Posted by Chemical Ali' The Wax Master View Post
    magnesium zinc calcium from Sam's club seems to work as well
    never underestimate the power of marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    I have that same freaking problem too. I'm trying to not turn into a rolling supplement pharmacy
    /Slapping forearm near elbow/

You got more shit bro?

I haven't used sportlegs in years...

I only tried them a few times for skiing... once was for a day that was a big day after another big day where you don't think you can get out of bed then someone yells you have another foot..... no idea if they helped as the adrenaline took care of it

The other time was a long full 7 some hour day lapping pali and a run on the pass.... felt OK but again like others, don't have much of a control.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    What causes sore muscles is the muscles inability to burn the lactic acid efficiently. That and not training enough, which is why the muscles can't utilize the lactic acid build up from exercising at extreme levels. Build up those mitochandrail cells by interval training and you'll burn that lactic acid.
    Completely untrue.

Lactic acid does not cause muscle soreness. Acidosis is the most likely culprit for immediate onset muscle soreness (very different than delayed onset muscle soreness). Lactate doesn't contribute to acidosis though... in fact lactic acid isn't even present in your body under normal (or even stressed) circumstances.
    Last edited by ptavv; 09-20-2007 at 06:14 PM.

I'll 2nd the SportLegs. Used the product on several 100 mile cycling events this year and was amazed at the difference when I did not use em. I actually felt better on an early season century when I used them vs a ride when I was much better prepared. I'll be using them on big days on the snow this winter for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by truth View Post
    I'll 2nd the SportLegs. Used the product on several 100 mile cycling events this year and was amazed at the difference when I did not use em. I actually felt better on an early season century when I used them vs a ride when I was much better prepared. I'll be using them on big days on the snow this winter for sure.
    curious, how did that work out for ya?

there's a new discussion going in in tech talk about sportlegs...
    [ame="http://www.tetongravity.com/FORUMS/showthread.php?t=197069"]Sportlegs to help us old farts get after it!? - Teton Gravity Research Forums[/ame]