24 Hours of Moab?

Anyone ever done it? We're thinking about putting a team together. Any advice? What's it like?
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

I did it a few years ago with the 5-person open (one chick per team, mandatory) and then crewed for my buddy and training partner who did it solo two years ago. Honestly I had more fun crewing than I did racing. There are two ways to do it: super-serious competitive extremo guys, and the have fun and party method. I prefer the latter. Seeing the sun peeking over the La Sals during a 4:20 AM safety check was something I won't forget, as well as the largest shooting star I've ever laid eye on. Something about hauling ass through the desert at night.

It's a blast, but it's kinda overrated. It's like $125 to enter, the schwag bag is weak (glow in the dark frisbee, no t-shirt or anything), and, there are other costs like a mandatory camping fee, and in order to do it right you need to get your hands on some expensive light systems, which can run as high as $400. Ideally you want one on the bars, one on the head. You also need some cold weather riding gear, it got below 20 deg both times out there.

Bring a TON of firewood, it gets really cold and they sell overpriced wood at the venue. We discovered that the cowpies burn nicely (BLM grazing land).

The course itself is pretty fun, dirt roads, some slick rock, a section called the tank trap which is super gnarly (mandatory drop - most hike-a-bike it).

It's certainly worth trying, but I doubt I'd do it again.
    Last edited by homerjay; 04-01-2004 at 10:16 AM.