Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Viva la France! A NSR TR

A UK business colleague invited me to his 15th century French farmhouse to talk bidness, eat lots of cheese, and drink obscene amounts of cognac.

We spent a couple of days roaming Paris by foot, metro, and cab.

A full day at the Louvre is not nearly enough.

The Grand Gallery, home of the Mona Lisa.

Obligatory Eiffel shot.

We took the TGV at 200mph to Poitiers and then drove to the country to meet up with our British hosts.

Cruising the Cognac region on a WWII era Soubitez (pedal-assisted moped) was fun, yet terrifying. The French are terrible drivers.

My accommodations for the week: Chez Maillou.

Chateau in St. Gourson.

My god...the cognac! This is the tasting room at Martell's distillery in the city of Cognac.

The Americans and the Brits storm the French village of St. Gourson, looking for food and wine.

More cognac please....

Cheese, cognac, cigars, and wine. God I love my job.

...and then let's have somore more cognac!

"My moustache....it is fantastic, no?

The full series is here: http://picasaweb.google.com/rsedmo

Thanks to all who provided advice and suggestions about what to do and see in France!
    Last edited by Twoplanker; 09-05-2007 at 02:21 PM.

I need some time to get through all them photos. A quick glance made me ponder a shot:

Huh??????? What a getup.

By day, this English chap (a distinguised Dr. of Special Education in London) works in pinstripe 3-piece suits.

He put on the blue workpants to cut the grass at the farmhouse and then, as a joke, added the hat and gun. Jolly Good.

The English are and odd lot...

Cool pics!

Looks fun.
    so many mountains...so little time

www.splitboard.com

As far as Paris is concerned, would you say that it is worth the trip for a few days(four or five at the most)?

My girlfriend knows a few people there, American and French, and has trying to get me to go. I ignorantly insist that it is just another city and isn't worth the trip.

Nice TR, by the way.

Nice pics !

And sorry to have missed your pre-trip post. I was on a 2 weeks internet hiatus.

(Oh, please, tell your friend to ride his mobylette on the right side of the road. French drivers will seem better...)
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

Quote Originally Posted by DrRy View Post
    I ignorantly insist that it is just another city and isn't worth the trip.
    Some may disagree with me, but I say that ABSOLUTELY is it worth the trip. Yes the city is crowded, dirty and sometimes smelly, but it can also be sublimely beautifull and you can experience amazing things there. I suggest spending 1 day doing some tourist stuff and then just go out and explore. Go find some of the smaller lesser known churches for a neater experience than the overwhelming pomp and touristaness of Notre Dame

To me, no question about it. Absolutely worth it. You can't say for yourself unless you check it out, but we have been a few times while living in London and we enjoyed ourselves everytime.

As far as Paris is concerned, would you say that it is worth the trip for a few days(four or five at the most)?

My girlfriend knows a few people there, American and French, and has trying to get me to go. I ignorantly insist that it is just another city and isn't worth the trip.

Nice TR, by the way.
    Cool TR. Do you enjoy the Cognac? I gots to say, French wine = yummy. What little cognac I have tried = not for me.
    Last edited by comish; 09-05-2007 at 02:50 PM.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Nice.

I probably shouldn't pass it up, especially since she knows people over there.

I thought you were going to say this was his farm house

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    To me, no question about it. Absolutely worth it. You can't say for yourself unless you check it out, but we have been a few times while living in London and we enjoyed ourselves everytime.

Cool TR. Do you enjoy the Cognac? I gots to say, French wine = yummy. What little cognac I have tried = not for me.
    I love cognac. The more expensive the cognac, the better it tastes, so it's worthwhile to spend some $$.

Nice TR, by the way.
    Absolutely worth seeing Paris. A 5 hour walk through the city would be priceless.

Nice dude! I spent 4 months in Paris...such a cool city. The first day or two I didn't like it, the 'just another big city' thing, and I was jet-lagged super bad. I really miss that place...so much cool stuff. And it really is a beautiful city. France rules, mostly.
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
    I thought you were going to say this was his farm house

No, but I'm considering going back next year and renting a Chateau like the one pictured above in St. Gourson. We would then bring our families and spend a few weeks exploring and living like kings.
    Last edited by Twoplanker; 09-05-2007 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    Nice dude! I spent 4 months in Paris...such a cool city. The first day or two I didn't like it, the 'just another big city' thing, and I was jet-lagged super bad. I really miss that place...so much cool stuff. And it really is a beautiful city. France rules, mostly.
    Just another city? To me, there's no other city on the planet that is like Paris. I would spend 15 minutes there if I had a chance. It's a city that everyone should see at some time in their life.

you're an idiot. why in the world would paris be a city not worth visiting? It's only one of the most amazing cities in the world. actually don't go. people like you don't deserve to visit paris.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoplanker View Post
    I love cognac. The more expensive the cognac, the better it tastes, so it's worthwhile to spend some $$.
    My favorite cognac is Martell XO. I know that there's a lot more expensive, but the obscene necktar's have never touched these lips.

IMHO, Martell XO is much more distinct, crisp and floral than the likes of Hennessy, Courvosier (Ph.) and/or Hine.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by TahoePowShredder View Post
    you're an idiot. why in the world would paris be a city not worth visiting? It's only one of the most amazing cities in the world. actually don't go. people like you don't deserve to visit paris.
    Yeah, I'm an idiot.

I should just travel across the ocean, because I have money coming out of my fucking ears, and spend a few days somewhere without asking for a few opinions.

Eat a dick.

edit - Did you see the words "ignorantly insist" in my post, admitting possible misjudgement? Great reading and reasoning skills on your part.
    Last edited by DrRy; 09-05-2007 at 08:05 PM.

Ya I've spent some time in Paris and would agree that it is a must see. If you think Parisians are bad drivers go to fuckn New Jersey or Eastern Pa. What a joke. France does rule. The average citizen gets something like 8 weeks paid vacation, plus socialized medicine...one has to wonder why anyone would proclaim the US as the greatest country. The french know how to vacation/live and I hope Sarkozy does not fuck it up for them. If you are in Paris and you think they are stuck up pricks think about this: most of the time none of the vacationers are speaking or even TRYING to speak their language.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    My favorite cognac is Martell XO. I know that there's a lot more expensive, but the obscene necktar's have never touched these lips.

IMHO, Martell XO is much more distinct, crisp and floral than the likes of Hennessy, Courvosier (Ph.) and/or Hine.
    I liked the XO enough to buy a large bottle to have shipped back to Utah (sshhhh!). However, I also like the Cordon Bleu a lot and bought a bottle of that to drink that night.

Tres Bien!

Nice TR, by the way.
    You'll love it. Definately don't pass up a trip to Paris especially if you know people there. I stole my wife away from Paris 22 years ago and it always seems like my home away from home when we visit her family. My first trip there we did a week long driving loop around the country just exploring off the beaten path. There are so many places with such a deep history. After many trips I am always drawn back to the Alps, especially the Grand Massif area.

And I've always thought the drivers were quite good-it just took a while to see there is a method to the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
    Ya I've spent some time in Paris and would agree that it is a must see. If you think Parisians are bad drivers go to fuckn New Jersey or Eastern Pa. What a joke. France does rule. The average citizen gets something like 8 weeks paid vacation, plus socialized medicine...one has to wonder why anyone would proclaim the US as the greatest country. The french know how to vacation/live and I hope Sarkozy does not fuck it up for them. If you are in Paris and you think they are stuck up pricks think about this: most of the time none of the vacationers are speaking or even TRYING to speak their language.
    The french know how to vacation and live, they just don't know how to work or fight... France is nice to visit, and I love my country, but America is an unbelievable country as well, probably better to live in than France. My parents brought back a lot of foie gras, man I love that stuff, it's an orgy on my tastebuds.

Nice tr!

I'm here now (Cote d'azur), and have been for the past 10 days, with 2 to go (started in UK for a few days, also, but the only crazy brits I saw were the Roos).

Been to St Tropez, Éze, Sanremo Italy, nice, Cannes, cap ferat, beaulieu (my fave) antibes, Menton...been busy.

Vive la France, indeed. More fromage, and more rose, s'il
    vous plait
    Last edited by yogachik; 09-06-2007 at 08:48 AM. Reason: french spelling

There you go Philippe. After all the hate, here's some love for France.

Yogachick I cannot believe the Roo's hid you away. The rest of us are always well up for a night in the pub.

don't make philippe feel good now, french people are still smelly and wimpy!