stiffening a ski???

I have a pair of beater scratch BC that I use for AT and hate becasue they are too soft.

Has anyone played around with trying to stiffen a ski by expoxying/screwing metal to the tops?

My idea was to sand down the tops a bit and then epoxy and screw some aluminum stock about 1 inch wide and 1/8 or 3/16 thick tops to make things a little stiffer?

Is this dumb....probably. But I don't really care if I trash these they've been mounted too many times and I've already epoxied the core from a blown mount job by a shop.

Ideas?
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

Prolly would be better if you just would layer some glassfibre & epoxy ontop of sanded down top. Put cheapo plastic on top and then use the other ski as a top-mould and clamps to make it stick.

Would prolly work better than the aluminium-thingy.

Post a TR.
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier
    You should post naked pictures of this godless heathen.

I believe this guy primarily wanted more camber to cushion big landings, and reinforcement near bindings to prevent broken skis---not sure if stiffness was really his goal or just a side-effect. Just follow his instructions and you are guaranteed an Olympic Gold medal.

http://www.airbergy.com/How%20to%20F...our%20Skis.asp

Last edited by Vitamin I; 08-31-2007 at 04:40 PM.
    - TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

Go to skibuilders.com and ask on their forum. I'm sure someone has built a getto equivalent of the slalomon prolink..... Myself I would say sand down the topsheet and add a heavy layer of glass.
    Knowledge is Powder

funny, when Bill Briggs skied the Grand Teton in 1971 he had a pair of GS skis, thinkin some old head's, that he had screwed some 1/2" wide steel stock into the topsheet, for that very reason I'm guessing. They are displayed in the new Grand Teton Park visitor center, I'll try to get a pic of them next time i'm in there...[good ole history repeating itself ]
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

i might say to try it with a sheet of metal first thats just bolted to the topsheet.

this has the added benefit of being able to be adjusted\changed quickly if you dont like it and adding an additional layer in a certain spot if you want to.

Id probably look at acquiring some spring temered steel first before I would using aluminum. Youd probably be fine with some spring steel about .030" thick. checkout mcmaster.com for shim stock.

otherwise, do what idris said

Whack a Deflex plate on them. Heavy, but it will give you a solid center, add damping and generally beef up ski feel A LOT.

I've got a friend in the snowboard industry, I'm going to see what tick he might have. He might even have some spare materials I can use. I'll let you know what happens.

WhiteRoom Skis

"Oh, no pics. To simulate the skiing today, walk out your door, grab a handful of snow, and throw it in your face. Repeat as necessary.
    If you don't have snow outside your door, what the fuck are you living there for?"
    -Bum Z 1/30/08

Quote Originally Posted by How to Fiberglass Your Skis= View Post
    Fiberglassing your skis can be dangerous and hazardous to your health. Hire someone else to do it
    i laughed
    I ski therefore I am.

Find an old race plate and put them on.

I had the same problem with some motherships, and a plate fixed it up. They are heavier now, but worthy of high speeds. Stable under foot with a soft tail for landing.

Wow, believe it or not this was the start of my journey building skis. I've now been building ski for more than a decade. OH how far things have come since then when I knew absolutely nothing about how skis were built. This has morphed into a small side hit for me and I have had skis featured in the Backcountry Magazine gear guide. It's crazy for me to see this old post.

WhiteRoom Skis

This is a worthy resurrection. Some of us just need that kick in the ass to do something big, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Vinman View Post
    I have a pair of beater scratch BC that I use for AT and hate becasue they are too soft.

Has anyone played around with trying to stiffen a ski by expoxying/screwing metal to the tops?

My idea was to sand down the tops a bit and then epoxy and screw some aluminum stock about 1 inch wide and 1/8 or 3/16 thick tops to make things a little stiffer?

Is this dumb....probably. But I don't really care if I trash these they've been mounted too many times and I've already epoxied the core from a blown mount job by a shop.

Ideas?
    Wow, believe it or not this was the start of my journey building skis. I've now been building ski for more than a decade. OH how far things have come since then when I knew absolutely nothing about how skis were built. This has morphed into a small side hit for me and I have had skis featured in the Backcountry Magazine gear guide. It's crazy for me to see this old post.

That's very cool, congrats!

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    But did you ever turn those Scratch BCs in to the mountain-crushing beasts they were destined to become, but Rossi was too scared to unleash?

No they are still in the rafters of my shop, but retired many years ago. I never did try to modify them, after doing some research it was obvious that it would not work and began my plan to build my own. I never expected it to turn into a side gig and be as successful as it has.

WhiteRoom Skis

No they are still in the rafters of my shop, but retired many years ago. I never did try to modify them, after doing some research it was obvious that it would not work and began my plan to build my own. I never expected it to turn into a side gig and be as successful as it has.
    Are the skis in your link, the skis you build? Those are beautiful

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    That was a real good call.

Quote Originally Posted by skuff View Post
    Are the skis in your link, the skis you build? Those are beautiful
    Yes, that's my website in the footer of my posts. Thank you, much appreciated.

WhiteRoom Skis