Surf the Great Salt Lake??????

Heard from a brine shrimper that has seen it before. i guess this makes sense if all conditions are right. the lake is huge, there are shallow beaches that could create long running small waves and storms roll through every now and again.

I have only heard this once and google provided no results.

Any beta?????

Sounds like there is some serious man love going on here.

at the bottom of the worst air in the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob O View Post
    Heard from a brine shrimper that has seen it before.

Any beta?????
    Never trust the word of a commercial fisherman...
    Not soliciting business through casual internet associations

NJ Pine Barrens via Leucadia, CA via Long Beach Island, NJ
    A few years ago I did some research on surf in the GSL.. as with any big body of water there is always a possibility for waves, whether or not they are surfable that is the question. I found some info that a few people have ridden waves, can't recall if it was on a longboard or a bodyboard though. All the photo searches I did came up with very tiny, non rideable waves. That spiral jetty looks pretty neat.. I recall there being some motion (but again nothing rideable) near Antilope Island.

As a sidenote, I met a traveler here on Long Beach Island in NJ, he had lived out in Montana for a bit of time and told me of seeing waves on Whitefish Lake during a storm. Any of yall from out west ever see surf on Whitefish Lake?

Jonathan

cito scored some sick barrel action there
    Elvis has left the building

GSL took mt center fin on a surfboard

Back in 2000 I was thinking the same thing. There was a break just by the great SL marina up against the break wall. The peak was a set up underwater rocks. These are all exposed now due to the drought. any rate I was about 4 waves into my sesh when on takeoff I felt a snag. it threw me off my board and pulled the center fin clean off. I was ridding 4-5 foot waves that would section almost all the way to shore from the edge of the break wall. They were good rides but after the fin snagged on some rocks I called it quits.. I never found the fin and had a shop in Mission Bay SD fix the board. The wind has gotta blow pretty hard from the north for a long time. also I wore swim goggles for the salt spray. It is pretty discusting to get in your mouth. Hope this is the info you need.

I now surf on the coast only San diego and Oregon. It happens every 2-3 years. and is only a week to ten days but I get my fix on snow now. ever since I moved to SLC in '95

nice work. i knew someone here would know. how long were the rides?

newtard and happy to know I will not be alone in missing waves. You must have had pretty good float on gsl.

just what like pindle said, long hard north push and you might see some waves that are ridable. i've seen the same in utah lake. i wonder if the relative depth of the lakes have something to do with it all....

anyway, come kitesurf with us to get your surf jonein on! we are heading up to willard today on the very strong south wind that is going on. i was once too a landlocked surfer, but now get my fix under a kite.

see attached picture from utah lake. i've seen three foot breakers here, but they don't get too organized. with the kite though, you can basically depower the kite so you aren't being pulled anymore and the waves have enough power to ride for a short stretch.

I might try to Run up to Prometory Point tomorrow or Saturday. There is a strong south wind brewing, and there is a shelf just off the point. If anyone else would like to try and hunt waves, PM me... I am a Great Lakes Surfer and would love to try to chalk up the GSL....

i saw a crew of antmen towing in on the westside in 83.

Hey! I'm the owner of a small surf shop in Salt Lake City. Most of the surf on the Great Salt Lake is Stand Up Paddle and finding waves definitely a hunt, but it makes for a fun afternoon and it's better than nothing. Like you said, if the conditions are right, you can ride a few, but it'll mostly be a day of paddling! Thanks for the interest in Salt Lake's small surf community!! - Scott
    Check out our site: http://saltlakesurf.com

I'm a student down in Provo and I dream about finding surf in one of these lakes. Is there any particular season for high winds? Keep me updated about any potential surfing expeditions please.

Bathymetric maps of the GSL
    North: http://pubs.usgs.gov/sim/2006/2954/
    south: http://pubs.usgs.gov/sim/2005/2894/

Hey Everyone!! It's Scott again from Salt Lake Surf! I thought you all might be interested to know that our online store is up and running and we are having 20% Sale on Backcountry and Avalanche Gear for splitboarders when you buy online from Dec 1st to the 10th . Come Check it out if you'd like!! http://www.saltlakesurf.com/avalanche-gear/

My 9 year old daughter and a friend surfed there on 5/07/12. We have videos and pictures, the waves were small but very decent. Better than nothing, right! Her longest ride was 21 seconds. I posted a video on you tube type; 9 year old Victoria Jackson surfing the Great Salt Lake Utah.

Dredging this thread up for info from F the Cat and Munchie. Been doing some research lately. Found both on the SL Marina website and in a DNR document that say up to 8' waves can easily be generated on the GSL. Ran some quick math that took all factors into account (wind speed, duration of wind, fetch) except depth and my numbers confirmed those heights. With the wind blowing in the 20-30 mph range for 12 hours+ yesterday from the S/SE was thinking something rideable could be produced up at Promontory Point. Made the drive and saw nothing even close. Am curious to hear from F the Cat how long the wind had been blowing, how hard and from what direction to generate those rides you got ....

Am thinking the extreme shallowness for its relative size of the GSL really limits wave generation. Have seen photos of bigger waves on Bear Lake which is much deeper and obviously smaller. Then of course we've all seen the surfing that takes place on Tahoe which also a lot smaller, but a shit ton deeper.
    "... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"

Quote Originally Posted by Xover View Post
    Dredging this thread up for info from F the Cat and Munchie. Been doing some research lately. Found both on the SL Marina website and in a DNR document that say up to 8' waves can easily be generated on the GSL. Ran some quick math that took all factors into account (wind speed, duration of wind, fetch) except depth and my numbers confirmed those heights. With the wind blowing in the 20-30 mph range for 12 hours+ yesterday from the S/SE was thinking something rideable could be produced up at Promontory Point. Made the drive and saw nothing even close. Am curious to hear from F the Cat how long the wind had been blowing, how hard and from what direction to generate those rides you got ....

Am thinking the extreme shallowness for its relative size of the GSL really limits wave generation. Have seen photos of bigger waves on Bear Lake which is much deeper and obviously smaller. Then of course we've all seen the surfing that takes place on Tahoe which also a lot smaller, but a shit ton deeper.
    I know nothing about surf conditions on the GSL but would always be up for an adventure to find out. PM me if you want a surf buddy.