Page 108 of 122 FirstFirst ... 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 ... LastLast
Results 2,676 to 2,700 of 3031
    sweating pipe to make useful thingz that aren't plumbing is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by wendigo View Post
    Copper drying rack for the wood stove
    Attachment 388342
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

45 minutes well spent on a rainy day.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    That's clever - nice! I may need to imitate. Mine will need to be removeable tho which may complicate the design.

This was a fun quick project- the room we’ve been keeping the cat box in had to be converted to a nursery, and had to get creative on finding a spot for it that was dog and (mostly) toddler proof.

Caulked all around the divider shelf and added three layers of rubber crush gasket to keep the smell away from the towels above. Not the prettiest but functions exactly as I’d hoped. And I’ll say, since making the cat box totally dog proof I’m realizing how much cat our dog had been eating…

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kgy5Arr.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	174.6 KB 
ID:	388586

Name:	5MsvCuY.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	187.7 KB 
ID:	388587
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16uMTtN.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	175.5 KB 
ID:	388588  
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer
    The universe that is a vehicle is a funny and delicate thing. I fucked my wife in the back seat of our Saab in the parking lot before a Social D / Superchunk show at Red Rocks. After that the radio never worked again.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Mega View Post
    That's clever - nice! I may need to imitate. Mine will need to be removeable tho which may complicate the design.
    Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    Save for the floor flanges mounted to the wall it is removable since I haven't fully sweated the first tee. Certainly more fun to sweat pipe when not worried about leaks!

Quote Originally Posted by Crock View Post
    This was a fun quick project- the room we’ve been keeping the cat box in had to be converted to a nursery, and had to get creative on finding a spot for it that was dog and (mostly) toddler proof.

Caulked all around the divider shelf and added three layers of rubber crush gasket to keep the smell away from the towels above. Not the prettiest but functions exactly as I’d hoped. And I’ll say, since making the cat box totally dog proof I’m realizing how much cat our dog had been eating…

Name:	Kgy5Arr.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	174.6 KB 
ID:	388586

Name:	5MsvCuY.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	187.7 KB 
ID:	388587
    Never misunderestimate a motivated dog.

I made a backpack for the WinningBago. Now the babies can ride in style.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220114_143425.jpeg 
Views:	118 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	401187Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220114_143443.jpeg 
Views:	136 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	401188Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220114_143403.jpeg 
Views:	128 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	401189
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Shit you built with your own two hands (picture thread)

Made a loft bed with shelves, desk, and a hammock for my bookworm daughter.

Name:	Image1642386076.295601.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	170.5 KB 
ID:	401421

Wrapped the ladder pegs in nubuck leather because I’m a caring father.

Name:	Image1642386097.859535.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	108.8 KB 
ID:	401422

Testing the hammock fit—

Name:	IMG_1170.JPG 
Size:	163.9 KB 
ID:	401428

Lighting and desk chair to come soon. She’s stoked. So I’m stoked.
    Last edited by gaijin; 01-17-2022 at 05:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post

Testing the hammock fit—

Hopefully you saved some nubuck to make everybody eyepatches
    Did you sand and seal ?

It's been a while with this thread, so adding last weeks project - a floating bar behind the couch for the kids to eat at down in the game room.

First time working with deep pour epoxy and it took a few years off my life. Things I learned if you tackle something like this: If you are pouring over something like corks, remember they float and need to be glued down reallllly well. Also, you need to caulk what you are pouring the epoxy into just as well. Just do it twice. I missed the smallest of spots and was chasing a tiny pinhole leak for two days straight that almost ruined the floor and the post. Had to sand and repaint and use more acetone than I would have liked to breathe in. The epoxy was easy to use if you follow the directions exactly. Air bubbles are a pain but a paint stripping heat gun used sparingly took care of all but one tiny one. Keep it 12 inches away and don't overdo it.

The metal is just basic Home Depot angle iron and flat metal stock cut and rattle can painted. Used some red oak for the surround and plywood for the bottom. Tried gel urethane for the first time and it's awesome and easy to apply. No need for sanding between coats and can wipe on with a paper towel.

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	164.0 KB 
ID:	410932

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	184.1 KB 
ID:	410933

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	182.7 KB 
ID:	410934

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	177.6 KB 
ID:	410935

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	144.3 KB 
ID:	410936

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	161.9 KB 
ID:	410937

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	163.7 KB 
ID:	410938

Name:	8.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	154.0 KB 
ID:	410940
    Quote Originally Posted by tromano View Post
    Apathy is harder for me to understand than passion.

Love it, that’s awesome!

We had some neighbors build a house last year that looked straight through our hog wire fence into our living room. A friend has some leftover corten steel sheets from the siding of his house and gave them to me for a six pack. One set of dull electric shears and 5 hours later I've got a privacy fence that my dog can still look under.

And to cross-reference with the Home Remodel thread I did the fence myself years ago and used coated deck screws and have not had a single fastener stain or any other issue.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post

Testing the hammock fit—

FYI. Those South American hammocks work sideways. Not gringo style.
    . . .

Haven't checked in for a while. It's spring so I think I'm going to kick into gear for a while on the weekends

Big project was a walnut and maple coffee table to match the upstairs entertainment center, you'll see it in the background of a lot of photos. Designed to straddle the couch ottoman and hold controllers. Saw a video where a dude flocked the drawers and decided to try it out. Turned out way better than I expected.

Royal Blue Flock-it! Drawers. Turned out awesome.

Apparently this is called a waterfall edge. I did something trendy by accident.

Installed. Dog is just fine, wouldn't stay still.

Took some leftover butcherblock scrap from the old desk slab and turned it into some corner shelves to go up above the desk. Nothing really special and long overdue.

Made a batch of table saw snowflakes for xmas gifts. Fun project to make and great little gifts, but I also got to experience a kickback/explosion when one snowflake got caught between the blade and fence. I thought I was setup well enough with a spacer block that provided enough space for the cut flake to drop off, fall flat, and be clear of the fence, but I wasn't. I took some mahogany shrapnel to the face when the piece shattered. Very glad I was wearing safety glasses. Kickback is no joke. If anyone wants to talk about what happened, what went wrong, etc. I'm an open book here. Scariest thing I've ever seen or done on a table saw and I don't want anyone to repeat it.

1 small board yielded ~50 snowflakes of 3 different styles.

Quick sand and lacquer, add a ribbon to hang and you're done.

Finally made a wall mount for the pizza peel I made last summer.

Snuck in a scrap cutting board just to have an excuse to play with the bandsaw. Not pictured is a trio of chartuctrie boards for xmas gifts. Walnut, purpleheart and maple.

Next up is a small under desk bookcase.

Just burning up leftover wood since walnut is currently $13/bf. Really not looking forward to the next trip to the lumber yard, it's going to hurt.

Name:	PXL_20211222_021327314.jpg 
Views:	527 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	411172   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220102_001146319.jpg 
Views:	539 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	411173   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20211222_021315277.jpg 
Views:	561 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	411174   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220207_012436212.jpg 
Views:	521 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	411175   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220102_202251175.jpg 
Views:	515 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	411176  

Name:	PXL_20220314_001303832.jpg 
Views:	504 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	411177   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220313_192918631.jpg 
Views:	535 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	411178   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220319_175905985.MP.jpg 
Views:	549 
Size:	1,009.5 KB 
ID:	411179   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220308_034925832.jpg 
Views:	544 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	411180  
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

nice work

i just assumed the coasters were laser cut at first look -- please share how they were created (not quite sure i understand the kickback scenario too)

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    nice work

i just assumed the coasters were laser cut at first look -- please share how they were created (not quite sure i understand the kickback scenario too)
    Not laser or CNC. Take a board and cut it into 6 strips with a 30* bevel. You now have 6 diamond shaped strips. Adjust the blade and run those strips through the saw again to cut various notches to make your snowflake shape (think cutting paper snowflakes)

You can then arrange them into a snowflake shape by putting all the points together in the middle. Glue it together into a snowflake log, wait for it to dry, and slice the log like deli meat. Mine were a bit too small for coasters, but the idea could be upsized.

Kickback scenario is as follows:

I thought my spacer block was large enough, but when the cutoff snowflake shape spun a bit, it got wedged on the back half of the blade between the blade and the fence, whipped forward and shattered/exploded as it hit in front of the blade. I changed out the spacer block with a much larger block and it was fine after that.

Video that was the inspiration for the project:

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	499 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	411187  

"Made a batch of table saw snowflakes for xmas gifts. Fun project to make and great little gifts, but I also got to experience a kickback/explosion when one snowflake got caught between the blade and fence. I thought I was setup well enough with a spacer block that provided enough space for the cut flake to drop off, fall flat, and be clear of the fence, but I wasn't. I took some mahogany shrapnel to the face when the piece shattered. Very glad I was wearing safety glasses. Kickback is no joke. If anyone wants to talk about what happened, what went wrong, etc. I'm an open book here. Scariest thing I've ever seen or done on a table saw and I don't want anyone to repeat it."

My dad was not wearing safety glasses, the wood scooped out his right eye. They put the eye back in but it doesn't work that well anymore and he won't drive at night now.

Quote Originally Posted by Not DJSapp View Post
    Not laser or CNC. Take a board and cut it into 6 strips with a 30* bevel. You now have 6 diamond shaped strips. Adjust the blade and run those strips through the saw again to cut various notches to make your snowflake shape (think cutting paper snowflakes)

You can then arrange them into a snowflake shape by putting all the points together in the middle. Glue it together into a snowflake log, wait for it to dry, and slice the log like deli meat. Mine were a bit too small for coasters, but the idea could be upsized.

Kickback scenario is as follows:

I thought my spacer block was large enough, but when the cutoff snowflake shape spun a bit, it got wedged on the back half of the blade between the blade and the fence, whipped forward and shattered/exploded as it hit in front of the blade. I changed out the spacer block with a much larger block and it was fine after that.

Video that was the inspiration for the project:
    i see how it caught but am wondering why the fence is needed at all?
    the spacer block lets you set thickness?
    why not attach that to a sled & take the fence off?
    [didn't look at vid yet]

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    i see how it caught but am wondering why the fence is needed at all?
    the spacer block lets you set thickness?
    why not attach that to a sled & take the fence off?
    [didn't look at vid yet]
    Spacer block was set to create ~3/16" thick slices. Bump the stock against the spacer block then slide the miter gage forward. You could clamp the block directly to the table top and remove the fence entirely, but the fence makes small adjustments easy if you're not happy with thickness of the slice. I know I played with this a bit as one design was more fragile than the others and just couldn't be sliced really thin. Video shows what's happening here very well when you're cutting the first 6 pieces.

The blade was cranked most of the way up to cut it all at once. You could rotate the piece and take 2 cuts at it to get through it all. Losing another 1/2" to a sled bottom wasn't desirable.

When I did this my crosscut sled needed a new bottom. I blew the bottom out of it with some miters and dados and it wouldn't work.

yeah, sleds end up being a consumable after a while, don't they?

snowflakes look nice in the end!

Quote Originally Posted by Not DJSapp View Post
    Spacer block was set to create ~3/16" thick slices. Bump the stock against the spacer block then slide the miter gage forward. You could clamp the block directly to the table top and remove the fence entirely, but the fence makes small adjustments easy if you're not happy with thickness of the slice. I know I played with this a bit as one design was more fragile than the others and just couldn't be sliced really thin. Video shows what's happening here very well when you're cutting the first 6 pieces.

The blade was cranked most of the way up to cut it all at once. You could rotate the piece and take 2 cuts at it to get through it all. Losing another 1/2" to a sled bottom wasn't desirable.

When I did this my crosscut sled needed a new bottom. I blew the bottom out of it with some miters and dados and it wouldn't work.
    For thin work like you were cutting I like a tall fence on my miter gauge, the stop moves with the miter gauge, and being taller and longer, it also pushes the waste away from the blade. Small pieces can be the scariest also.

As noted, cutting small items can be treacherous. Has anyone tried any of the following random thoughts on securing small pieces for cutting with table saw, chop saw, or by hand:

1) Double sided tape
    2) Suction cuts (possibly coupled w/tape to block holes)
    3) Vacuum suction (possibly coupled w/tape to block holes)
    4) Chiseling out a block to match piece shape and inlay it inside while cutting, ie snowflake
    5) Hot glue (pro tip it's good for 'clamping' w/wood glue or epoxy. Leave a spot for hot glue surrounded by the glue or epoxy)
    6) Other half-baked ideas?
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    As noted, cutting small items can be treacherous. Has anyone tried any of the following random thoughts on securing small pieces for cutting with table saw, chop saw, or by hand:

1) Double sided tape
    4) Chiseling out a block to match piece shape and inlay it inside while cutting, ie snowflake
    5) Hot glue (pro tip it's good for 'clamping' w/wood glue or epoxy. Leave a spot for hot glue surrounded by the glue or epoxy)
    When I was getting toward the end of the log, I super-glued the log to a large piece of scrap. Worked like a champ and you only lose that outer surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post

1) Double sided tape
    l have often used double sided tape for plastic parts. I am not usually a fan of it on wood being that it can pull off wood grain on occasion. For production runs I have used a vacuum pump to hold parts in jigs. The complicated set up usually limits the procedure to large runs.

Hold downs