Page 3 of 122 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    really nice on both knuckledragger. The boat is gorgeous.

Thanks - the boat is a lot of fun.

Thumbs up

Wow! That kayak is crazy-beautiful! Huge kudos to you on that labor of love...

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

Thumbs up

Sweet, Sweet, Boat!
    If it weren't for serendipity, there'd be no dipity at all

Quote Originally Posted by jonpierre View Post
    a little smoke shack dubbed "red fox"
    It looks like you found one of the fabled Ents of Middle Earth, gutted him, and dressed him up as a shipping pallet. Tight.

I laugh at anything named "Redd Fox" as a rule.

Quote Originally Posted by bio-smear View Post
    I laugh at anything named "Redd Fox" as a rule.
    Twas a sincere question. Really. Only a few us would know where that's coming from...ya had to be there. But then, you'd have to be an old fuck.
    If it weren't for serendipity, there'd be no dipity at all

I built this Bumper (and the Land Cruiser) with my own 2 hands. At some point I've had a wrench on pretty much every single nut and bolt on the truck.

And this is my most recent engine project on my 4Runner.
    3.SLOW rebuild (which I am kicking myself for).

-James

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    It doesn't behave well until it's going mach retarded.

hot tub rehab

Here is my most useful thing I have built to date. Bought the tub only( no outer shell) during a beer break at the local ski hill for my birthday. "my Buddy" said it was only a couple of years old....after repairing leaks and changing jets etc. and three new saws later, I now have a nice little tub that I use almost everday...sweet!

Red-i-XS

Ok, this is depressing.
    I think we need to see more gavels, shacks, and paper airplanes.

I built a pile of dirt once and put plants in it.

i have made jewelry. I used to make a lot because i worked as a receptionist and i had nothing to do but answer the phone, so i would bring boxes of beads to work with me and thread away. that really was the worst job ever--being on display out in the front as everyone walks by busily doing work things and gawking at you. i felt kind of silly making bead necklaces, but the alternative was to just sit there and do nothing. i really dont make jewelry anymore, which is good because the jewelry would usually self destruct after frequent wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by str8line View Post
    Need more info on this.
    Well, okay.

It's a Pontiac V8. Wish it was aluminum, but alas, only the timing cover and water pump are aluminum. Aluminum heads and blocks are now being produced for Pontiacs but they're way too expensive for me right now, I'd rather spend the money on skiing.

I was working at an automotive machine shop when I built this, so had access to all of the right equipment and did most of the machine work myself.

Heads are '67 400 2-bbl castings with big valves. Ported and flowed by a well-known Pontiac engine builder and racer in Canada. I polished the chambers and installed Ferrea racing valves, longer than stock to accomodate taller springs for the roller cam:

The block is a 1970 455 block, bored +.035", all surfaces decked square to the crank centerline. Honed with torque plates, all bores verified to have no taper and all were within .0002" of each other in size and out-of-round.

Crank is a 1969 428 unit, 4" stroke. Final displacement with this combo was 440 ci.

Eagle forged steel 6.8" rods, Ross custom pistons, Clevite bearings, yadda yadda yadda.

Cam is a small solid roller, rocker arms are Harland Sharp 1.72 ratio. I started small with the cam and the engine really needed and wanted more.

Carb was a custom modified 800 cfm Quadrajet, distributor was a factory HEI, gutted and used to trigger a Crane HI-6 capacitive discharge ignition with sequential rev limiter.

I put it in this:

Which I also rebuilt, every nut and bolt on the entire car. At one point it was down to this:

Suspension is modified for handling. Did very well at the autocross with it, but needed better wheels and tires to really get the most out of it. Only the smallest, lightest, or most heavily modified cars with experienced drivers were faster.

Also drag raced it a fair amount. Heavy car (3840 lbs with me in it) with tall freeway gears still went 12.60s @ 108 MPH on street tires. More cam, better intake manifold and larger exhaust would've put it in the bottom 12s or high 11s. Amazingly stable at high speeds, too. Got it up to it's max speed (6000 RPM redline, 27" tire diameter, 3.23 gearing, ~3% trans slip) - about 145 MPH on the freeway late at night.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

Rooster Guest
    Super Nasty!!

Nice ride Willie
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powers
    That's how the plague started back in the day...from a little disgusting bird bath in someones back yard that rats made sex to birds in and created a whole new type of AIDS

That is some high quality redneck shit there, boy-o. Hells yeah, [sic].

It wasn't me but its amazing: http://www.milkandcookies.com/link/66611/detail/
    I belong to a cult that believes in wrecking leather jackets, dying themselves purple and demolishing 40 beer.

Thanks fellas. Still have the car but the transmission caused the thrust bearing in the engine to fail so it just sits, waiting 'til I get far enough along in my new career to have enough money to go back through the engine and then get the bodywork and paint done at which point it'll be like new again. That was my dad's car and I grew up pushing my bike past it in the garage. He sold it to me when I was a senior in high school in '86 and I got laid for the first time in the back seat, so there's some sentimental value attached to it. I just hope I can get it done before my dad passes away as it was one of his favorite cars too.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

Quote Originally Posted by David Witherspoon View Post
    Ok, this is depressing.
    I think we need to see more gavels, shacks, and paper airplanes.
    I think this calls for a paper airplane build-off.
    Heres my entry:
    "Not all those who wander are lost"

Quote Originally Posted by bio-smear View Post
    I built this raised sleeping deck for my Tundra. It mostly just hides valuables like skis.
    Bow chika bow wow

Been working on this little project with my crew the last few weeks. Finished the log work a couple hours ago. 75' of puncheon (log boardwalk) on the Lake Charles Trail out of Eagle. Decking is treated lumber we hauled up with stock and by hand. Everything else is native material, and all work was done with primitive tools - cross-cut saws, axes, carpenter's adzes, etc. There are some 24-30" trees under the decking we dropped with the cross-cuts and hewed with axes and adzes. Here's the alomost-finished product. Still needs some rock work at the approaches.

I'll post up some more showing the whole process later. Right now I need a beer and a shower.

21,000 square foot gym a Colby-Sawyer college. Even did the game-lines and lettering

Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer
    The universe that is a vehicle is a funny and delicate thing. I fucked my wife in the back seat of our Saab in the parking lot before a Social D / Superchunk show at Red Rocks. After that the radio never worked again.

Quote Originally Posted by Crock View Post
    21,000 square foot gym a Colby-Sawyer college. Even did the game-lines and lettering

NICE WORK!

After many hours of this

It eventually looks like this.

Built everything but the engine, shocks, and bearings ourselves.
    this is last years car, were rebuilding it this year. 10th/101 in the SAE West rapid city race
    the team
    EDIT: Ok, this pic looks small on the team site. Since i dont have access to it, this time its not my fault

at the RIT race

Live

Quote Originally Posted by KnuckleDragger View Post
    Kayak

That is absolutely stunning! How long did that take? Did you have previous experience building wooden boats?

I bet you launch it really carefully and never beach it for fear of scratching the finish!

because of rontele's ancestors...

beer Pong table