Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Are all fenders the same?

I need to get some fenders for my Bianchi Axis as it will be my primary means of transportation to and from work? Suggestions for not only fenders, but a pannier and any other suggestions to convert it to a commuter would be appreciated!
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

http://ecom1.planetbike.com/7004.html

I've put a bunch of these on axis' and volpes.
    They are pretty cheap and work well.

Sks makes some nice fenders as well, couldn't find a link.

I'm not sure I get the fenders bit. I wear some stretchy bits to ride, get all sweaty, and change at work. A little rain, doesn't make a whole lot of difference. Some microfiber towels, a box of baby wipes and some anti-perspirant make me a little more bearable, since we don't have a shower.

I don't ride in heavy rain, as the drivers around here have enough trouble seeing me when its dry. When its hosing, all bets are off. All my commuting is on urban streets though, and as a bike commuter in Cinci, I'm looked upon as a leper. Most around here wouldn't be seen commuting to work on a bike.

The only thing I added to make my bike a commuter is a large courier bag, courtesy of SAC. Extra tough tires are a must around here too. Been running some 700c x 28 Panaracer T-Servs recently which seem to work well. If I carry this through the fall, and on into winter, I'm going to have to come up with a decent lighting solution. Planet Bike makes an Super blinkie, which makes you real visible from the backside, but most of the frontside solutions are pricey.

The only other conversion that was love at first ride was my moustache bars. I get the multiple hand positions of a drop bar, yet a more upright head position for traffic awareness. Just found some bar end shifters, from Craigs List, and like it better still. Been wanting a set for some time, but they are stupid expensive new.

Squatch Guest
    i enjoy "commuter-pimping" bikes. We'll talk later.

Fenders are not a bad idea even when it's not raining. I find the driveline tends to stay cleaner.

I use the plastic planet bike fenders on my Surly CrossCheck. They work fine.

I commuted for 2 years when I lived in DC. It was 11 miles each way. I was glad to have fenders sometimes, and other times it was like staggerwing said, already warmed up enough from pedaling that the rain didn't bother me. I guess it really depended on whether I wanted to be on the bike that day. The fenders are good for when you might otherwise say "fuck it, it's wet out, I'm driving" or something like that.

I agree that they keep the driveline cleaner too.

I prefer the clip-on kind since they're easy to remove. But we don't have a lot of problems with fender theft from locked bikes in this town.

Quote Originally Posted by DerJaeger View Post
    Fenders are not a bad idea even when it's not raining. I find the driveline tends to stay cleaner.
    I was going to mention this as a significant concern for a daily commuter, but you beat me to it.
    "if the city is visibly one of humankind's greatest achievements, its uncontrolled evolution also can lead to desecration of both nature and the human spirit."
    -- Melvin G. Marcus 1979

Fenders keep your shoes from getting soaked, which is a problem even if you're wearing waterproof pants...there's always that gap between the pants and the shoes. I've always had fenders on my commute bikes.

+1 for Planet Bike.

I don't like panniers because they get stolen and they're inconvenient to carry around. What I do is buy a file box from Staples/Officemax/wherever and bolt it to the top of the rear rack. This will give you a tailbox which weighs much less than a set of Ortliebs, is waterproof, and costs about $7. Plus it leaves you lots of room for reflective tape and bumper stickers.

The Delta Mega Rack works best with this scheme because the top is perfectly flat and already has holes in it.

i use a headland fender on the back and thats it. eays to put on and take off. cheap price as well. i dont worry about shoes getting wet, just leave an extra pair of shoes and change clothes at the office. i dont worry about theft either, cause i leave my bike in my apartment or bring it into work. cant trust a locked up fixed gear, or even a $5 bike, here in chicago

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...slisearch=true
    Last edited by dallread; 08-23-2007 at 08:14 AM.

How much stuff do you need to schlep? Racks and panniers can be a pain in the ass. I would try a messenger bag first. Staggerwing's tire recommendation is money - 700c x 28 Panaracer T-Servs. If you commute in the dark put a few pieces of reflective tape on your rims and make sure you have something reflective on your back.

Best Fenders (IMO)
    Check out the Speedez models
    http://www.planetbike.com/

Best Rack Available (IMO)
    fittings for bikes without frame mounts
    http://www.tubus.com/index/lang/en/

Best Panniers (IMO)
    http://www.ortliebusa.com/

Messenger Bags
    http://www.chromebags.com/
    http://www.pacdesigns.com/
    http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/retail/catalog.htm
    Last edited by rug wheelie; 08-23-2007 at 09:12 AM.

Since then it's been a book you read in reverse, so you understand less as the pages turn.

The things you find on the net.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_B View Post
    Saw a guy back in the spring pimping those on a Merlin Ti mtb all decked out for commuting. I think he was running Crossmax SLCCSXDLKFJSLCs (the expensive ones) too.

He was clearly not worried about theft.
    As I rained blows upon him, I realized there had to be another way.

i commute about 11 miles in an urban part of the bay area in all weather. i've been happily using the fenders powwrangler recommends for 3 years. for me, they keep the drivetrain cleaner year around and keep me from drenched in heavy downpours. i have used the carradice bike bureau <http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/carradice.asp> for two years and not had issues with leaks. i like the asthetics of this pannier more than ortlieb's. with my relatively short commute and the mild bay area temps when storming hard, i never wear waterproof gear cuz i overheat too easily, with one exception. i generally take a cheap route and wear plastic bags between my socks and my shoes. i do this mainly to keep my socks from getting soaked for the ride home or the ride to work in the next morning. because i ride pretty busy streets, i also use a bell, use lights, and sometimes wear a lightweight safety vest. i can't stand those bright yellow jackets and overheat in that fabric.
    have fun pimping out your ride.

Check these out, they'd definitely impress the latte fetchers!

On-One is getting some to sell -- see here.

^^^^^
    That whole thing screams bling, in a subtle way. The rear hub alone is over a grand. I think those are Pauls brakes too.

Check out velo-orange.com for fenders, bags, racks, lights and other commuter stuff. An odd collection of bits, but some things you won't find anywhere else. Plus, his prices are good and his service excellent. He has those Honjo hammered fenders that you see above, plus some less expensive under his house label.

Quote Originally Posted by uncle crud View Post
    But we don't have a lot of problems with fender theft from locked bikes in this town.
    That's because everyone there knows that fenders are the first step on the way to becoming an old dude with a huge beard on a recumbent, and no one wishes for that.

**cruisers excepted, of course.

HAH!

I think you may be onto something -- but the wheezing old geezers on commuter bikes in this town generally are crusty old forestry and geology professors at Griz College, and they're usually not on recumbents.

Recumbent riders don't even get classified with regular cyclists. They're more like Segway users.

There aren't too many bicycle commuters in this town. Most who own bikes seem to use them as clothing hangars, dust magnets, or stage props to impress a date.

Bump for fenders! I'm looking at rigging up my bike for school this fall/winter commuting here in rainy Oregon. I already have a bell, front rack and Wald basket, and lots of cool blinky light things - Seriously, the more shit you strap on, the bigger your grin gets as you're pedaling around town.

My frame clears 42c tires, or 38c tires w/ fenders (as their website indicates). I currently have 40c semi-knobby cross tires. I'm looking at SKS fenders and would ideally like to keep my current tires on without replacing. Question 1) Will this work ? Question 2) Which fenders - 45s or 50s ?

I have limited access to tools and don't want to be grinding shit down for clearance. Looking to order online too, hence why I want to double check before purchasing.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    That's because everyone there knows that fenders are the first step on the way to becoming an old dude with a huge beard on a recumbent, and no one wishes for that.

**cruisers excepted, of course.
    Ehhh - I've tried rain pants/coats, waterproof bags, and even those nifty plastic Ass-Savers. They all work to some degree, but I'm looking to jump on fenders to minimize overall road spray. The water coming off the front wheel especially is what gets your feet soaked, and no attachment other than a full fender would seem to keep the road spray off yer backside!

45 is probably the correct size for that bike. How much clearance do your cx tires have to the fender bosses?

Are all fenders the same?

I used race blades for commuting for 9 yrs. they're fiddly to set up, but once you get them in the right spot, they stay pretty well

Fenders def keep you much drier...do it

Quote Originally Posted by Groomer Gambler View Post
    I'm looking at SKS fenders and would ideally like to keep my current tires on without replacing. Question 1) Will this work ? Question 2) Which fenders - 45s or 50s ?
    Whether that works and width is mostly a function of frame clearances. I've made lots of SKS, PB and other fenders work, although I often fab brackets from stainless sheet and sometimes need to do some grinding/filing. Filing plastic fenders to fit at pinch points is easy peasy.

FWIW many rando nerds install long tail flaps on their rear fenders to keep the spray off their riding partners.

Quote Originally Posted by DIYSteve View Post
    FWIW many rando nerds install long tail flaps on their rear fenders to keep the spray off their riding partners.
    Also, a long flap thing at the bottom of the front fender really cuts down on road spray coming up onto you. Something flexible that is just barely off the ground works best. There are ones you can buy, or you can make your own out of scrap plastic and pop-rivet it in place.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Also, a long flap thing at the bottom of the front fender really cuts down on road spray coming up onto you. Something flexible that is just barely off the ground works best. There are ones you can buy, or you can make your own out of scrap plastic and pop-rivet it in place.
    I made mine from strips of surplus nylon tie-down straps coated with shoe goo. Instead of the rivet I just used 2 zip ties. It's about 6" wide, rectangle, and goes all the way to the ground. I've just let it wear down on its own so it's a few mm off the ground now. As far as riding in rain, and even moreso in the slush, it's the best thing I've done to the bike. Rain, meh...if it's raining everything is getting wet anyway. When it's sunny and slushy you have a shot at staying dry if you have good fenders and mudflaps. Or I suppose all those situations where the ground is wet but it's raining lightly or done raining. It's nice for your feet, but even nicer to keep sand and salt and foul water out of the drivetrain.

Hm might swap out the cross tires for a 38ish fall commuter/rando tire. Like a Pasela, etc. with the P45s fender. Any other suggestions? Trying to keep tires around $20-30 apiece