Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Checking in from the hospital.

Well, guys, the last few weeks could best be described as a completley emotional fucking train wreck for me. It all began a few weeks ago when I checked into Bassett Hospital in Cooperstown, NY on an early monday morning spent driving against the hordes of Orioles fans who had converged into town to pay respect to Cal Ripken Jr.'s enshrinement into the Baseball Hall of Fame. I had been dealing with excruciating back pains that had been plagueing me for weeks. It took just one scan to reveal the awful truth- I had been livinh with a crushed L2 vertebrae for the previous four weeks. I went infor a khyphoplasty to have thr spine repaired, and felt a lot better. The next week I had another round of chemotherapy, and felt like I was getting back on track.

For a while. While my back was beginning to recover, my left legs were beginning to experience pain. Nerve pain. And it was getting worse. So on thursday I checked back into the hospital to try and get my pain under control. Immediately I had an MRI of my spine, and found out that ther was something causing pressure that was eliminating the use of my hip flexors. Than the difficult questions began to arise. What was the cause, and how could it be remedied? Unfortunately, I was not having an easy time geting answers. Two different neurosurgeons giving me opposite opinions on the same procedure.

Being a summer weekend, the upstate docs were having a hard time communicating with my downstate docs. And when the finally managed to connect, the news that was given to me was quite morbid. One of my Doctors from NYC was surprised that I was still alive, and thought I had 3-6 months left to live. That really was like a Bruce Lee kick to the back of the skull. In the meantime, I was losing so much strength in my legs that I was unable to walk on my own. My lower body was virtually useless,and my upper body was getting weaker. Needless to say, I spent much of Sunday in tears, absolutely bawling.

Things picked up on Monday, however. Even though an MRI to my head revealed that there was now cancerous activity in my brain, there was still some hope. A new oncologist had suggested a form of chemotherapy in combination with radiation. This gave me a much needed breath of fresh air. I felt as if I had survived an emotional train wreck, and I had now been dragged from the wreckage and could walk away from the disaster of the last several days.

Today I had some pre-radition tests, and will begin chemo and radiation treatment tomorrow. I am finally feeling agood again, despite the fact that I can't walk on my own, and am battling a lot of pain. But I know that in the past I have found new strengths from within my inner being, and that I must dig deeper than before to find even more strength to get me through this. Which, of course, I will. Casious Clay was hit more than Sonny Listion, but Cassious still won the fight.

Nils
    "There is a hell of a huge difference between skiing as a sport- or even as a lifestyle- and skiing as an industry"
    Hunter S. Thompson, 1970 (RIP)

Get It, nils!

Good luck Mang, I don't know what else to say.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Damn Nils, thanks for checking in. You are truly an inspiration for us all. Stay strong, and Rope-a-Dope that cancer for us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

Feeling good can only help you with your battle man. Hang on to that little ember as best you can and build a giant goddamn fire within you. Visualize. Fight.

Good luck.

Stay strong buddy
    why make ten turns when you only need to make NONE!

Hang in there Nils.

It's a mad scramble up a scree field now, but you'll summit this bitch yet!

Nail tough Nils. Truly killin' it!
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

The difference between winning and losing is being able to find the strength within to get up as many times as you've been knocked down. Dig deep and know that there are a lot of people wanting to help you up. Hang in there, dude and find the strength. Defy this hideous enemy.

Thinking of you.
    One day at a time my brotha...

Mrs. Montanaskier is an advanced practice nurse practitioner and worked exclusively seeing her own patients in an oncology/hematoloogy clinic for several years. Our thoughts and prayers are with you! You have an amazing spirit....mad vibes mag!
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Nils,

Was just thinking about you, had been checking out Court's blog and flipped over to yours. As always,vibes and prayers. Keep KICKIN!

Jay
    Five minutes into the drive and you're already driving me crazy...

Stay strong dude, you can kick this thing!
    Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Powder

Air hug, brother!

crush, kill, destroy! we'll keep the summer stoke coming to keep you in good spirits. praying hard for you right now, nils.
    Believe.

I'm gonna keep saying it because you keep doing it: Keep on keeping on.

with you man
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    No more internal power struggle;
    We come together to overcome the little trouble.
    Soon we'll find out who is the real revolutionary,
    'Cause I don't want my people to be contrary?

Nils, I'm here for you man...and waiting for an update tomorrow.

Hopeful as ever-- and thinking of you fighting hard,

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

Keep on fighting, dude. You gotta pull through.
    another Handsome Boy graduate

Nils - I haven't ever had the pleasure of meeting, but by god I am going to one of these days. You are an inspiration, and you better get your ass better so you can make turns with me...even if I have to come clean across the country to do it.
    Living vicariously through myself.

My thoughts and prayers are with you, man. Keep fighting this.

get better, there will always be a lift ticket and a tour waiting for you at stowe, you had better get up to ski with us this winter.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

Stay strong, Nils. Sending prayers your way.

Vibes and healing thoughts headed your way.
    not counting days 2016-17

nils..

we heard the news on sunday. alex and i have been thinking of you non-stop ever since. don't lose hope..

-steve