Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Shaving

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Keys for me:
    Don't force anything.

He's asking about shaving, not der poopenhausen
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

I shave with a clean razor, and have to shave with the grain to avoid getting bumps.
    For the little facial hair I can grow, and the Shitty shave I get that is a waist of time and water shaving with the grain, I have requested a Braun 360 Complete for my upcoming birfday. It's supposed to be the best ever, and a 30 day money back guarantee. and a 2 year warranty.
    (sorry if that was repeated, didn't read the whole thread.)
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I haven't used shaving cream in 15 years. Used to think it was necessary but when I stopped using it and started dry shaving I stopped getting cuts. I try not to even get the razor wet because the lubricating strips just fuck me up and make it harder.
    This guy is fucking hard core.

Jeez I feel like a little girl now.

Not as much of a little girl as the guys who are whining about shaving though.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

...and as if you needed another reply.....

Wash the skin, soften up the hair, & slice thru it quickly...
    Whenever I'd get a shave in a shop...the guy, when lathering, seemed to try to avoid soaking the skin with foam(as mentioned by Xtreme_15yr_guy;-). ...??
    Last edited by steved; 09-06-2007 at 08:33 PM.

Looked at the safety razors on classicshaving.com and am considering trying one. The blades for my mach3 are outrageous, especially since I've been keeping my head shaved as well.

There is also a "head shaver" listed on the site, anyone have any experience with it or whats a good way to keep things clean shaven on top?

Does anyone have a discount coupon code for classicshaving.com?

Quote Originally Posted by pedalbiker View Post
    There is also a "head shaver" listed on the site, anyone have any experience with it or whats a good way to keep things clean shaven on top?
    One more time: Panasonic Linear.

Keep in mind that you'll need to replace the foil and blades a little more often than scheduled, though, if you're shaving your head every day as well as your face. (This is true of all electrics.)

Ive always just used the long hair trimmer on the back of my electric shaver, except I go bald on the moustache and soul patch areas. It keeps it short enough to look neat, and only takes about two minutes. I make sure to do the moustache area first though before the foil gets too hot or it hurts.

Maybe try Nair on the face, it certainly works on the balls...

Quote Originally Posted by Spats View Post
    Use a dedicated beard trimmer (not the one on the back of your straight razor) without the numbered guard. That'll get you the shadow. As a bonus, it's much less irritating to the skin than shaving.
    I'm in love.

Picked up a Norelco trimmer from Costco for $19.95. Set to the #1 guard setting, it's so totally awesome! No more shaver irritation Of course my wife is going to hate this, since it means I can pretty much perpetually maintain 'sandpaper face'
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

I use the King of Shaves gel after i shower and i don't even feel the blade on running across my face. Try a regular two bladded Gillette sensor razor instead of the gay mach 3. you will probably never go back.

Bump. Does anyone have a recommendation for a sweet shaving mirror that won't lose its antifogging mojo after a few months?

In case you were wondering, Rain-X doesn't bring a shaving mirror back to life.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post
    Bump. Does anyone have a recommendation for a sweet shaving mirror that won't lose its antifogging mojo after a few months?
    It doesn't exist. Just swirl a dab of shampoo or a bit of soap on the mirror when it fogs up. Works for my once-weekly shave.

Particle, I've been doing the Miami Vice half shave for a couple years now, it's the goods. I just use a Wahl beard trimmer with no guards in the shower Monday morning. I don't work on Fridays, which is key because I start looking borderline sociopath by Thursday.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by mwthomsen View Post
    Neutrogena makes a shave cream. I have tried others, but this one works the best for me. It is called skin clearing shave cream, it fights razor bumbs and minimizes ingrown hairs. Shave regularly with a sharp clean razor in the direction the hair grows.
    I'll back this up. Also use the Neutrogena "After-shave lotion". Works real well.

Anyone ever use one of those old fashioned sweeney todd razors? I'm thinking of getting one of those because apparently you get a really close shave.

Plus you can scare the crap out of your neighbors' children.
    or reenact reservoir dogs, whatevs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Divebomber View Post
    OR sign it with a fake sig, then later they say "we have your sig!" NO you dont!

Just grow a beard and trim with scissors. The hair is not a problem, as long as you keep it neat and tidy - face or elsewhere!!!
    Riding bikes, but not shredding pow...

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    It doesn't exist.
    Noooooooooooooooooo!

Mach 3
    Edge Sensitive Skin
    In the shower

it's teh tits

Gasoline, and a bunch of razors taped to an electric fan, Family Guy style.

No shit, it works.
    Congrats, mags! We collected 1030.68! for birdman!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    No is that like whne I come on your mosms face whle you lick my ballsss???

Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    I'm in love.

Picked up a Norelco trimmer from Costco for $19.95. Set to the #1 guard setting, it's so totally awesome! No more shaver irritation Of course my wife is going to hate this, since it means I can pretty much perpetually maintain 'sandpaper face'
    x2 I went the perma-shadow way last year and its great. No guard after the shower and you never get that I just dragged a super sharp piece of metal across my face feeling.
    You're gonna stand there, owning a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistling bungholes, no spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?

Didn't read the whole thread, don't know if its been mentioned, but a straight razer will give you a better, easier shave than anything else if you do it right. When I get stuck using anything else, if I forget to bring my razer or don't expect to need to shave or whatever, my skin gets way way more irritated.

im just here to post that after being perfectly happy with those cheap multi-blade disposable razors, but finally being fed up about their price, and switching to an old skool double-edge safety razor, with a nice super badger brush, and real tallow shaving soap, I will never go back.

all of those catridge razors suck ass in comparison in terms of closeness, comfort, and end product.

For those wondering
    Merkur 34C HD
    Red Personna Blades (still have yet to try the Feather blades I got too)
    DR Harris Lavendar Shave Soap
    Vulfix 660 Medium Super Badger

Had my 3rd shave with this 2.5 days ago and I have about the same amount of growth on my face as I used to have after 1.5 days. Still on the same blade and its cutting great. And at ~50cents a blade, I wont mind changing when needed.

^
    This

Since this thread has been brought back from the dead, I'll toss in my .02

Been wet shaving for 2 years now and will never look back. Shaving no longer hurts, leaves my face feeling fine, and is fun/relaxing. Before I switched, I used to shave with an electric and tried a bunch of cartridge razors/canned goop. Electric tore up my face, cartridge caused shaving bumps and the goop was pathetic. Not to mention the cartridge razors are expensive. Currently use a safety/double edge razor and love it.

Considering you can pick up a good [ame="http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5867"]C&E brush for $35 [/ame] and some soap for $8 it's worth trying. Brush will last years and tub of soap for 6 months or so.

Razors are around $40 and will last a forever. The Merkur HD is a nice starting point. Best part about it besides the performance is that the blades cost about $0.25/blade. Snag a sample pack to figure out which you like best.

There is a learning curve and you may beat your face up until you figure things out (30 days for most people). To learn the ropes, check out Badger and Blade. In particular, these threads are useful: [ame="http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=71700"]tutorial links [/ame] and [ame="http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=439"]glycerin soap lather.[/ame]

Hope this helps.

quite the post and lots of good info and great beginner tips, but id also throw out that for 15$ you can get a decent brush in a tweezerman from amazon.com

figured id follow up on the razor experience
    ive been very surprised at the learning curve and how short it was\is. very light pressure, ie just the weight of the razor head, and thats all thats really different.
    ive only had trouble when i start to apply pressure and generally only on against the grain passes on the neck. beyond that the thing is great. sold for life.

the red personna blades seem ok, but they dont last me long and start pulling after 4ish shaves. the feathers start out extremely aggressive, but seem to last me very long. Im on shave #7 on one blade and it feels as good as the personnas around #3.

really being surprised at how good this old style double edge safety razor turned out to be, I couldnt resist trying a straight. got a 6/8 dovo special tortise for a great price and had my first shave with that a couple days ago.

what a comfortable shave. it was very awkward though to figure out how to hold for all the places on my face and the different passes, but ill learn as i go. results were similar to an above average shave with my merkur hd. ie im still learning.
    its a bit scary though at times to realize you're holding a stupid sharp blade next to your face like that without a gaurd, but its simple enough if you can mentally pt that aside.

i shave my head year round, face in summers...no ingrown hair problems

how often: on alternate days usually is enough, or on specific days when i need to look presentable
    with what: mach 3 with edge gel & hot water
    when done: immediate rinse/wipe down with COLD water. [MOST IMPORTANT PART] scrub w/ a loofah! this removes the dead skin out of your pores. while the razor does a decent job of this, the loofah gets it all out. I usually take a shower after my shave, and this is when I use the loofah. yes it can hurt at first, but don't abrade your face and neck like you're taking rocks out of road rash...just go gentle the first few times. if you have to, skip a day so your faces recovers, but this will put you in the right spot: baby smooth ever after!

Had a bro in college who shaved so much that he could shave against the grain, without shaving cream, with a single blade disposable bic.

That, my friends, 'tis 'core!
    Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    I'm not comfortable at all with this concept of responsibility for one's self.
    Call forth the name of Ullr, and rejoice, for he hath brought forth that which you seek, that which calls to your soul, and thus, completes your existence in this world.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    I've used a Braun electric for a while now. You've gotta keep on top of it, i.e. I won't leave it longer than a couple of days. And it's the opposite of a razor - you shave before a shower and you shave in the opposite direction to the hairs. But really it's super easy and just as quick. You don't have to shower afterwards but I almost always shave before showering. No irritation or anything. If you don't shower after it can itch a bit.

Every 6-12months I've gotta replace the blades and foil but apart from that no worries. After shaving I take the foil off and tap out the cut hairs and brush any off my shirt and that's about all you need to do.

x2. I'm been using the braun's for about 20 years now. On the old ones I had to replace the blades 3-4 times/year. On the newer ones that have the cleaning/charging docks I haven't had to switch a blade in 3 years. Just shave, shove it in the dock, push the button, and walk away. Next morning it's squeaky clean and serilized. You do have to replace the alcohol cartridge every couple months.

I'd echo what a few have said in that you should try to shave every day. Your skin will toughen up. If I shave every day, I have no issues at all. If I do it every 3-4 days I itch like I have a disease.
    Si hoc non legere potes tu asinus es