Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    done. good work.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Any non-paypal way to contribute? I'd rather help through these means than go through red-cross...

Time to payback for the cheap traveling I was able to do through Peru last year.
    "Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward."
    - Kurt Vonnegut

I am glad to contribute what I can, especially when I know it is going directly to those who need it, and not through 17 levels of bureaucracy.

Now if only we could send paypal bribes to ullr. I guess I will just have to go burn a pair of skis or something.

Thanks everyone so far, wheels are in motion.
    I will have a list of who/how much up ASAP (Waiting for my wife to have a few minutes)
    Anyone who wants to send Via snail mail:

Pocolocotours/Peru fund
    1032 S.hwy 33
    Victor, ID

Thanks again SO SO much!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Donation sent. Thanks for putting this together. I've spent a few nights in the winter without proper gear and I remember violently shaking from the cold. It was miserable. Can you wire transfer some of the funds that have accumulated so that they can get that money working ASAP
    "JONG!!!!!" is the sound a lift tower makes when a gaper runs into it.
    -Observed at Brighton, UT

Days on snow 2007/2008 season
    Backcountry: 11
    Lift served: 11

Thanks, schmoe.
    I am waiting to get that info from Tayo, but all of his lines to Chincha are down, and the highway is closed, so he hasn't made it to Lima.
    It's a fuckin' mess.

i had no idea there was $ in my PayPal account, it's obviously needed elsewhere...sent.
    ...And the greatest ice must crumble when it's flower's time to grow.

Maggots are so fuckin' cool....keep it up everyone. Suit, Frozen, or the powers that be thanks for the sticky.

You can't paypal Ullr, but this can only create good Karma. I am sure the Inca deities are close personal friends of the Norse gods, so consider your contributions a down payment on snow for this year

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Attempting to print a page view:

Shit, didn't work...anyone have tips?

been on here all day and missed this. I just sent out a hudge email to everyone in our community and we'll get some funds your way.
    I resolve PC issues remotely. Need to get rid of all that pr0n you downloaded on your work laptop? Or did you just get a ton of viruses from searching for "geriatic midget sex"? Either way I can fix them. PM Me for maggot prices.

Follow me on Twitter
    Facebook - Become a Fan

Meager donation sent, hope it helps.

Thanks for taking the initiative on this guys!

Got a couple friends down there on a catholic mission at an orphanage in the mountains. I guess they're pretty far from the epicenter. Haven't heard from them, hope they're OK.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Cono, any word from the Dad yet?++

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Attempting to print a page view:

Shit, didn't work...anyone have tips?
    screenshot?

1.press print screen
    2.go into paint
    3.paste
    5.profit

Quote Originally Posted by mtaylor View Post
    screenshot?

1.press print screen
    2.go into paint
    3.paste
    5.profit
    Dude, I am not making money off of this...in fact, I am giving what I have, and taking the time to do this in Lieu of actually working in country...(I have a baby on the way in 4 weeks, or I would have been on a plane a few days ago).
    Wrong guy to take pot shots at.
    This issue is close to my heart, and I am trying to conduct this as transparently as possible...
    Many, many mags know me personally, and know my dedication and devotion to the people of Peru.
    Hell, I am friends with Shamrock, and have hung out with him in Lima, and he knows that I have no ulterior motivations.
    I don't need the money, Tayo CERTAINLY doesn't need the money, but the people of Chincha certainly do.
    Thanks for the advice, and vote of confidence.( )
    There will be a complete spreadsheet of ALL donors coming, which is much more accountability than huge non-prof charities.
    Sham's people know my people, who are recieving the money, all of this is propelled by and through real people, who (tenuously) know each-other.
    This is the real deal, in terms of direct help.
    I doubt that you are doing anything remotely as helpful.
    Thanks again,
    W
    Last edited by rideit; 08-17-2007 at 11:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Dude, I am not making money off of this...in fact, I am giving what I have, and taking the time to do this in Lieu of actually working in country...(I have a baby on the way in 4 weeks, or I would have been on a plane a few days ago).
    Wrong guy to take pot shots at.
    This issue is close to my heart, and I am trying to conduct this as transparently as possible...
    Many, many mags know me personally, and know my dedication and devotion to the people of Peru.
    Hell, I am friends with Shamrock, and have hung out with him in Lima, and he knows that I have no ulterior motivations.
    I don't need the money, Tayo CERTAINLY doesn't need the money, but the people of Chincha certainly do.
    Thanks for the advice, and vote of confidence.( )
    There will be a complete spreadsheet of ALL donors coming, which is much more accountability than huge non-prof charities.
    Sham's people know my people, who are recieving the money, all of this is propelled by and through real people, who (tenuously) know each-other.
    This is the real deal, in terms of direct help.
    I doubt that you are doing anything remotely as helpful.
    Thanks again,
    W
    Rideit: I think that was the standard mag joke about "step 5... profit?" and was not directed at you so don't take it personally!

This is definitely a time of high stress for anyone that cares about Peru and her people. Today we loaded up a 4x4 truck with blankets, water, powdered milk, some food and mattresses and delivered supplies to Chincha. The place is really a disaster zone (who'da thunk it?), but what is scariest is the lawless situation. This is very much a re-run of Katrina in New Orleans. There is not police presence and Ica, Chincha and Pisco are all without power, water, and fixed telephone service. Bands of armed gangs are wandering around taking whatever the fuck they want and attacking at random. Houses are still collapsing. The road is in tatters (one full lane basically fell down towards the ocean. Meanwhile, my friends are sleeping outside with no tent in 5 degree celsius weather because of the following reasons:
    1. They have no home to go back to
    2. Their house is adobe and we are still feeling many aftershocks (some as strong as 6.0)
    2. THey refuse to leave everything they have built for the delincuentes and other assorted human garbage that uses opportunities like this to show the ugliest side of humanity.

The Peruvian government has been (all too predictably) slow to respond to this tragedy. Until then, every little bit helps and as Rideit says, he has friends on the ground that will make sure the money gets to a good place!

Oh no. That is a sobering account.

Damn, Sham, I bet Tayo has his hands full.
    I will PM you, but would you mind going up to La Calera, and talking to Tayo and Beatriz personally?
    I have his Bank Accnt #, but I have not been able to get in touch with them.
    PLEASE use my name at the gate.
    Thanks.
    I have ~$3k right now, more to come.

/\/\ we know you are doing right , but this is TGR, it wouldn't be right if somebody didn't make smart ass comments.

Sounds bad out there, not that it is not expected, what with prisons falling down and all. It never ceases to amazing me what assholes people can be in times like this, and also how great people can be. your friend is one of the latter.

I, for one, don't really care about the accounting. I know the money will get to the right people, but if it encourages others to pony up, then I am all for it.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Money Sent.
    Shamrock, I'm not sure how to complete the assignment you sent me, but I'm going to do what I can to make it happen.

Anybody know how to set up a charity, paperwork-wise?
    another Handsome Boy graduate

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum Pete View Post

Anybody know how to set up a charity, paperwork-wise?
    Assuming you are talking about a typical tax exempt one ( 501(c)3 ) - no. But I know people who have done this. My, relatively limited, understanding is that this is not a fast or easy process these days. Especially with newer board requirements.

A quick search yields:

http://www.ezec.gov/Toolbox/501c3factsheet.html

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-501c3.htm

http://foundationcenter.org/getstart...nonprofit.html
    http://foundationcenter.org/getstart...ish/index.html

If you are asking in the context of helping folks in Peru, I'd suggest people send money to someone they trust (see this thread ) who is in a position to do something - or if you care about tax deductions, to an existing charitable organization that is likely to do some good sooner than later.
    Last edited by spindrift; 08-18-2007 at 11:25 AM.

Rideit....have you contacted paypal about what you're doing to see if they'll waive the 3% fee when you receive money? Might be worth shot.

Quote Originally Posted by spindrift View Post
    Assuming you are talking about a typical tax exempt one ( 501(c)3 ) - no. But I know people who have done this. My, relatively limited, understanding is that this is not a fast or easy process these days. Especially with newer board requirements.

A quick search yields:

http://www.ezec.gov/Toolbox/501c3factsheet.html

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-501c3.htm

http://foundationcenter.org/getstart...nonprofit.html
    http://foundationcenter.org/getstart...ish/index.html

If you are asking in the context of helping folks in Peru, I'd suggest people send money to someone they trust (see this thread ) who is in a position to do something - or if you care about tax deductions, to an existing charitable organization that is likely to do some good sooner than later.
    This would be something more for the long-term reconstruction effort, not the emergency situation. We are definitely looking in to a couple different alternatives here and I already work for an NGO, just not one that is focused on this aspect of international development...

Rideit: I was able to get through to Tayo's cell phone today and delivered your message about funds. The connection was not good, but he seems to be fine personally. I would keep trying that cell number if you can... I am hoping to go to Ica tomorrow (my friends' left with an entire truck's worth of supplies for Chincha early this AM) and hope that the situation will be improved by then on the highways (they are mobilizing more military). If he is in Chincha then there he is still under a blackout so i would wait a few more days before transferring funds. If you want to give immediately I know organizations that are receiving wire transfers in Peru and could send you that info. The Red Cross is apparently basing their relief efforts out of Chincha, but I did not see anything set up last night (it was kind of a madhouse). Also heard a hospital was sacked/robbed of medical supplies there - very disheartening to hear but we have to press on doing the best we can...

Thanks to all who have contributed so far -- you rock!

Thanks, Sham.
    He is a VERY good person to know.

Glad to hear he is well...I should be getting a bunch more $$$ this coming week, I will probably send it next Wednesday or so.
    They are going to continue to need help for a long time, so I don't think a week will affect anything.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Telephil View Post
    Rideit....have you contacted paypal about what you're doing to see if they'll waive the 3% fee when you receive money? Might be worth shot.
    they probably won't i tried to do it with the shmoesmith fund and they could care less. Maybe it would be differnt for this cause.
    I resolve PC issues remotely. Need to get rid of all that pr0n you downloaded on your work laptop? Or did you just get a ton of viruses from searching for "geriatic midget sex"? Either way I can fix them. PM Me for maggot prices.

Follow me on Twitter
    Facebook - Become a Fan

Probably not. OTOH, compared with the operating overhead of most charities, just bleeding out the Paypal fee is still pretty damn efficient. In a perfect world, I'd rather not. But it is a relatively modest "cost of doing business" - especially since we get to bypass the Red Cross, etc. -- who'd be way less efficient (witness the whole Katrina thing).

A tax deduction would be nice too, but it isn't about tax deductions. I'm happier getting funds in the hands of "doers" ASAP...