MTB TR: Star Pass, 8-5-2007

MTB TR: Star Pass to Block and Tackle, 8-5-2007
    goldenboy, mtnbikerskierchick

Well, this probably should be in the Sproket Rockets forum but I figure the Ski/Snowboard forum could use a bit more stoke so I posted it here instead.

Star Peak is a distinguishing mountain that can be seen from the valley between CB south and Crested Butte.

It rises above the valley to 13,521 feet high. It's impressive SW face offers incredible couloirs which tantalize skiers like me in the winter. To it's south west, lies Crested Butte. But if you cross over Star to the North you'll end up in the Cooper Creek Basin (near the Lindley Hut) which will lead to you Ashcroft near Aspen.

The ride we chose to do is as follows:
    Began at the Deadman's TH on Cement Creek road.
    Followed this road for a ways (also called FS 740) until we turned onto TR 583 (also called Crystal Mtn Trail).
    We followed this trail to a pass that went beside Crystal Mountain, and then continued to follow it to TR 400.
    TR 400 lead us to Star Pass, near Star Peak. We followed TR400 down for miles into the East Brush Creek drainage (it would eventually lead to Brush Creek Rd). But we turned off of it on TR 545 (also called Block and Tackle) which took us up and over a ridge and back into the Cement Creek drainage. We followed the FS road back to Deadman's TH.

Heading up Cement Creek Rd.

The flowers were amazing as we headed up the road.

Views from the road.

Going up Crystal Mtn Trail, TR 583.

This trail was particularly difficult to ride and I ended up hiking most of the way up it. The trail is relatively steep, but you could ride it if the trail weren't so deeply and narrowly cut due to the motor bikes that peruse and erode the trail. The steep sides of the trail made it difficult to ride because my pedals kept hitting, or if my front wheel drifted an inch or so to the side of the middle my whole balance was thrown off. Goldenboy took a pic of how rutted the trail was here:

More pics of Crystal Mtn Trail.

Me coming up to the top of the first pass.

Goldenboy's bike on top of the first pass. Crystal Mtn is to the exact left of this pic (not in the pic). Looking across, you can see Star Peak to the left of the spires.

Closer look at the impressive Star Peak, seen from the south-east.

Looking down the direction we came up to the first pass.

Heading from the first pass to the second pass (Star Pass).

The last part of the trail to Star Pass was a hike-a-bike.

A SW or West view from Star Pass.

Heading down from Star Pass (TR 400).

We were on TR 400 for miles! This pic shows me, still on TR 400, with the SW side of Star in the distance. Not long before we were just beside this mountain!

As soon as we got onto TR 545 (Block and Tackle) things got pretty burly. Goldenboy plotted his route.

And then he went for it!

The trail took us up and up

And then down down down

The above pic shows the common braided trails, caused again primarily by motor bikes in the area.

Goldenboy going down Block and Tackle, with the Cement Creek drainage at the bottom.

The ride took us 5 or so hours with stops. Several parts of the single track going up were often hike-a-bikes. So, if you do this, be ready for some hike-a-bike! The views and the downhills make this journey worth it though!
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

Illness.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

i heart mbsc tr's.

thanks for the stoke, that looks like quite a ride!

Beautiful pics - and thanks for injecting some stoke into the ski forum. Maybe we'll cross-post some epic singletrack shots from Ape Canyon tonight? (super sick ride on Mt. St. Helens)

Squirrel that sounds like a blast! Can't wait to see pics!!!!!
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

Qaulity TR! Looks like fun.
    Have fun or get hurt bad. "MFT" A.K.A. Dr. Doom

There are but three true sports--bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. "Ernest Hemingway"

Nice....Moab season is approaching

Nice! Tryin to think last time I was up there - hmmmm maybe 1990 CB to aspen via pearl, party party at ruggerfest, then Aspen to CB via taylor, star.

Thxs for pixs/TR
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    No more internal power struggle;
    We come together to overcome the little trouble.
    Soon we'll find out who is the real revolutionary,
    'Cause I don't want my people to be contrary?

Thank you!
    “I mean god damn, who could believe that shit.” Greg Noll, Riding Giants

Nice work.
    Quote Originally Posted by TWINS View Post
    I love it when shitweasels get there panties all in a bunch.

mbsc - sharon and i will be in CB sometime in the 1st week of October. Any chance of getting a tour then?

Bike tour or ski tour? You're confusing me Do you have an exact date yet? What will be bringing you here! I'd love to meet up with you guys!
    -
    14erskiers.com

Thanks for putting this up, MBSC. Man I love riding in that area. LL, looking forward to riding with you this fall, for sure.

Anyone want to hit Mt Elbert with us this weekend?

Nice! Makes me want to get on a plane and come play, but something tells me my lungs might burst!

Sickness, way to crush it year round guys. That looks a little tougher than the lower loop!

Beautiful ride. Thanks for sharing, and helping get this place back to the stoke!