Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Surf Kayaking Questions

Posted this up in the kayak forum, didn't get any replies. Maybe its better suited for this forum.

So I want to take my kayak (wavesport EZ) surf kayaking this week in Long Island. I have no experience surf kayaking at all, but I do surf a bit so I understand how to catch waves.

What technique is used to get out, and through the waves when they are breaking?

My real only worry is getting a wave and having it break on top of me.

What should I be aware of, so I don't head up smashing my end into the ocean floor?

Any tips would be awesome, surf kayaking looks incredible I want to get into it.

Any Surf Kayakers in LI that wanna go out, give me a pm.
    -YeM

Go here, speak nicely to the landlord and ask whether surfers want to share the line up with kayaks.
    Last edited by Shorey; 08-13-2007 at 02:13 PM.
    Not around much these days.

1. Stay away from surfers. You may have someone on LI that is connected and they will have you killed.

2. Should be pretty small out. It is LI after all. Unless there is a 'Cainne or Nor'easter around. So you can paddle straight out, just like a surfer. Hit up a channel if they exist.

3. Keep your boat perpendicular to breaking waves. The kayak gets pushed from the side.

4. Head out toward Fire Island or Hamptons. Look on a map. There are some good inlets out there that have sand point set ups. Better for kayaks, and surfing when it is good. See step number #1.

5. Aim in the direction of the peel, paddle in, use paddle to turn and stabalize.

Good luck, but just buy a surfboard for when it is bigger than knee high.

And behind Hilton Head Island (SC) is awesome kayaking... and Maine.

You're from Saratoga? Go to Rhode Island. Point Judith or the M----------- point across the inlet west from Judith.

the emphasis is definitely on #1.

longboarders like surfkayakers though, because all of sudden they're not the lowest on the totem pole when a kayaker paddles out.

Serious f'd up to those that longboard that flat out shred. Wowsas.

Substitute longboarders with kneeboarders and you might be onto something. Actually that doesn't even suffice.

Just don't do it, yakfish, and either surf or body surf.

Posted that crap, albeit delicous, FACTUAL, crap, after redic downer jank game last night.

I'll check in later, but please, don't give me that smiley crap for an excuse. Ala Em, "for even havin' those thoughts thought up"...guilty.

Quote Originally Posted by cito View Post
    Serious f'd up to those that longboard that flat out shred. Wowsas.

Substitute longboarders with kneeboarders and you might be onto something. Actually that doesn't even suffice.

Just don't do it, yakfish, and either surf or body surf.
    what fuckin' language are you speaking?

yeah there are a couple longboarders that are alright, but 90% are fucking kooks.

Holy exposed

Holy exposed

i still don't have a fuckin clue what you're talking about.

Btw, not even the hardest of all hardcore hardness sling that terminalogy around, the other 99.9999% like yourself....ahhh, not worth it. You should go hook up with Vince and cjwhatever.

Back into hiding, totally disappointed in myself in trying to bring some real shit to TGR's completely BS step-sister. Tech talk anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    what fuckin' language are you speaking?

yeah there are a couple longboarders that are alright, but 90% are fucking kooks.
    Nothing against longboards, but yeah, a lot are kooks. I've got respect for a no rocker, square skeg ripper though.

Thought I was out, but can't let this slide.

You guys are confusing "longboarders" with "inexperienced attemptees that happen to have BIG boards". 90% of shortboarders are just as guilty with lack of skills, only worse exemplified by the fakeness. Heck, 90% of all that hit water don't know shit. Way off base.

And I've never religiously ridden anything over 7'. You know why? Too god damn hard and an f'n pain in the ass. Those that can rip on 9'+ can rip anything and everything.

Thought I was out, but can't let this slide.

You guys are confusing "longboarders" with "inexperienced attemptees that happen to have BIG boards". 90% of shortboarders are just as guilty with lack of skills, only worse exemplified by the fakeness. Heck, 90% of all that hit water don't know shit. Way off base.

A good point. I guess the just a quilty shortboarders tend to hidew themselves a little better, and are easier to turn around. And I'd rather see a short board coming over the falls at me than a 10' plank.

And yes, many who rip on a 9'+ also rip on a shortboard. But that is not true for the many (not most, but many) who do not float on a 6'.

But Gun riding is where it is at on a long board IMO

Ottime, finally the closest thing to a voice of reason. I have zero agendas regarding surf, i.e. Wcoast vs. Ecoast, long vs. short, etc. I call like I see it, I'll question all scenarios, including where I surf and how I surf. More of an ambassador...not into the name calling and mudslinging that goes on here and alot of other places.

A couple things. Should have mentioned this earlier. %'s is wrong defense for longboarder haters. The %'s between sucky/beginners that ride long and short is probably pretty damn close...pure quantitative #'s is another story, but hey you guys brought up the % thing.

Anyone that knows anything knows that the heavies that can't float on 6'ers (and that length is an embellishment) aren't included.

Guns aren't "longboards" persay, much more like modified shortboards for big conditions.

Btw, is that a longboard in your signature?

i have zero agendas too. It's just that the longboarders at the point are generally shoulder hopping, board losing, outside sitting, terrible surfers. 90% ride longboards cause they don't have a snowball's chance in hell of ever standing up on a shortboard. Yes some rip. One of my best friends is a longboarder that can ride a wave and understand a wave better than the best shortboarders in SC. It's not mudslinging, it's a reality here.

So calling me a haole/kook/and whatever else isn't name calling/mudslinging? That's reality? Do not collect money, directly to jail.

Oh I forgot, I only have double digit posts, my bad. Nothing against you Alka, but c'mon. Just everybody surf and enjoy for crying out loud. And if you have the skills you're implying, aint no way someone should drop in on you...TWICE, that is.

, my bad again. Overlooked the "SC" reference. That is a reality, although a warped as shiz reality, down there. Refer to where to surf and ski thread. God I miss those days of paddling out in strange turf in socal while at SC and getting weird ass looks, only to find those same punks trying to be friendly with me afterwords with my spray all over them. Not your fault yo.

no one ever gets dropped in on twice. if you do you're a total kook. it's that one nugget set that comes through and some airplane winger doesn't look back and drops right in on ya. i ain't claiming to have any skills and ain't calling you a kook. the reality in SC is that the longidtys are sitting at second peak and blindly dropping in all the time. if they're weren't a nuisance i couldn't give a flying fuck about who rides what kind of board. watching Joel Tudor style out a big board is pretty amazing, watching another kook flail in front of me on an airplane wing is a pain in the ass.

So calling me a haole/kook/and whatever else isn't name calling/mudslinging? That's reality? Do not collect money, directly to jail.

Oh I forgot, I only have double digit posts, my bad. Nothing against you Alka, but c'mon. Just everybody surf and enjoy for crying out loud. And if you have the skills you're implying, aint no way someone should drop in on you...TWICE, that is.

Here we go again.
    Obviously someone here has gotten dropped in on a little more than twice.

Couldn't care less with what, lets just say questionable at best posers, err posters, throw at me.

Perhaps you should be feasting on their mispotioning? Spot set way earlier than them, paddle faster than them, and should be in position. And if you can't, go somewhere else, perhaps inside on reforms...have a hunch that's right up your alley.

Way too much crying over everyday shit.

Anyone that knows anything knows that the heavies that can't float on 6'ers (and that length is an embellishment) aren't included.

Guns aren't "longboards" persay, much more like modified shortboards for big conditions.

Btw, is that a longboard in your signature?
    1) Some heavies just are not that heavy, just a little slow and lazy...

2) That is why I posted "long board", not "longboard" I'm just saying< i'd rather be on a 9' Gun than a 9' nose rider. Perhaps I should say, I'd rather be pushing 20' waves instead of sliding 20" waves

3) Not unless you consider a 6"5" a longboard. I was just stalling that bottom turn to pull into the next section. You can still have some calm grace when riding a short board. We are all not tweakers.

btw - would probably enjoy a few small days more often if I could afford said longboard
    Last edited by Ottime; 08-16-2007 at 07:34 PM.

Here we go again.
    Obviously someone here has gotten dropped in on a little more than twice.
    Did ya read my post?

Couldn't care less with what, lets just say questionable at best posers, err posters, throw at me.
    Who the fuck is throwing anything at you?

Perhaps you should be feasting on their mispotioning? Spot set way earlier than them, paddle faster than them, and should be in position. And if you can't, go somewhere else, perhaps inside on reforms...have a hunch that's right up your alley.
    Obviously you haven't surfed Pleasure Point.

Way too much crying over everyday shit.
    Wait, let's recount this.
    -I make joke
    -You get all butthurt about joke, lash back
    -I respond
    -You're still butthurt
    -I explain idiosyncratic situation
    -You're still butthurt

I think we all know who's doing the crying.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    But Gun riding is where it is at
    Heh, "butt gun."

I ride a longboard and yes I am a kook when in the water, and I can barely make a turn so my bad if I run you over. My first year on a board was on a 6' I was not able to stand up the entire year.

So I'm a kook in water and must of the people in the water with me are gapers on snow so it all evens out. Fuck it, don't be a sniveling little bitch.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com