Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

You know whats great about being outsourced...

Getting to train my fucking replacement.

Fucking priceless!!!

At least i have until mid october to find new work or transition to a new role at my current place of employment.

Hey India

I resolve PC issues remotely. Need to get rid of all that pr0n you downloaded on your work laptop? Or did you just get a ton of viruses from searching for "geriatic midget sex"? Either way I can fix them. PM Me for maggot prices.

Follow me on Twitter
    Facebook - Become a Fan

That sucks, but maybe you can trade out for some culinary lessons. Great Indian is priceless.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    That sucks, but maybe you can trade out for some culinary lessons. Great Indian is priceless.
    ahhh good thinking
    I resolve PC issues remotely. Need to get rid of all that pr0n you downloaded on your work laptop? Or did you just get a ton of viruses from searching for "geriatic midget sex"? Either way I can fix them. PM Me for maggot prices.

Follow me on Twitter
    Facebook - Become a Fan

you of course have to teach the guy to do just about anything BUT your job.

maybe train him for someone else's job? that way, the day you leave, he is clueless. when they call you back up, its a $500/hour consulting fee.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by fez View Post
    you of course have to teach the guy to do just about anything BUT your job.

maybe train him for someone else's job? that way, the day you leave, he is clueless. when they call you back up, its a $500/hour consulting fee.
    there's already a lot of east indians who've been in-country doing exactly that; cashing in on the sweat equity of their countrymen back home.

kachinggg.
    Balls Deep in the 'Ho

Sorry mang. Been there done that. Although I didn't get a 3 month heads-up..

I still have my Swingline, however!
    To the Thingmajigger!

That sucks man. I know how you feel though. Outsourcing/offshoring is so common at my company. We've hired like 5 people in the last 3 years in the US, yet we've hired like 2500 in India and China.
    Of all the muthafuckas on earth, you the muthafuckest.

HA! i just got an email from the company that is handling the outsourcing looking to interview me for MY CURRENT FUCKING JOB.

Follow me on Twitter
    Facebook - Become a Fan

Quote Originally Posted by mrryde View Post
    HA! i just got an email from the company that is handling the outsourcing looking to interview me for MY CURRENT FUCKING JOB.
    Unbelievable.

You should go to the interview, I bet you have just the right experience for the job.
    To the Thingmajigger!

I bet they'll give you a fucking sweet relo package to india!
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

ya, they outsourced all of our in house development, software packaging, etc to india. None of them could get their package unless they trained their replacements. Glad im in support and not a developer. There's no such thing as a developer here anymore.

shitty deal. i would be tempted to refuse to train them. why the hell should you? it's like when your girlfriend breaks up and then asks you to help her move. fuck that.

so what is your job, if i may ask?

Quote Originally Posted by mrryde View Post
    HA! i just got an email from the company that is handling the outsourcing looking to interview me for MY CURRENT FUCKING JOB FOR HALF THE MONEY.

Fixed that for ya...
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

Quote Originally Posted by flatNshallow View Post
    Fixed that for ya...
    no fucking shit. the teams that i do load testing for had no idea, noone told them so of course they are all freaking out. what a clusterfuck

Follow me on Twitter
    Facebook - Become a Fan

this is going to sound very racist, and maybe it is, i don't know.. so, apologies to any indians that might be reading this..

but - do indian developers suck or what??

it has been my experience that the indian developers, either here or in india, tend to completely HORRIBLE at their jobs..

and the irony is that the exceptions to the rule - the rare diamonds among the rough - are fucking incredible. better than most of their gringo counterparts.

has anyone else noticed this?

sorry. just curious.

that's not so much racist as shows you're a xenophobic/jingoistic asshole

"It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

hmm.. i had to look up jingoism to see what it meant.
    maybe that makes me an ignoramus, too..

but have you noticed it?

with wikipedia, only the willfull are still ignorant.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

its not so much racist as not seeing the root cause of the problem.

the indians being hired are not independent contractors hired for their skill but companies that are hired for their price. to make deadlines they churn out code that is often times horrible. rarely do even the most basic tests on the code they have just written. plus the people writing the code tend to be younger and more willing to play with the latest technology just because it sounds cool.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by lemon boy View Post
    with wikipedia, only the willfull are still ignorant.
    Did you just coin a phrase? I like it!

Sorry to hear Mrryde - we 11/3/72ers always land on our feet, though, don't we!

This is clearly your opportunity to move out of Nascarlotte and to the mountains.

doit.doit.doit.
    To the Thingmajigger!

Another problem with the development centers in India is that they can't retain workers. The employment market there is like it was here in the late 90's. Get pissed? Leave your job and take a job across the street for a 20% raise.

I am supposed to have two resources working for me in Hyberadad, but they keep quitting for better jobs. The turnover there is crazy.
    Of all the muthafuckas on earth, you the muthafuckest.

Sabotage

Here is my take having been through this twice before and have the pleasure to manage an off shore group.

First off the quality of work sucks. Most of the inian resumes are unverifiable as all of their experience is in Hyberadad. Secondly most of them do not have the experience their resume reflects and I will go as far to say that most resumes are complete bullshit. The ones that actually know what they are doing demand a higher rate anyway. Classic case of "You get what you pay for".

Secondly, the whole outsourcing will save money theory is flawed. CFO types see that Project A took 1000 hours at a $25 an hour pay rate when it would cost $50 an hour for US on site people. They immediately think they have a 50% cost saving by going off shore.

The reality is that Project A would have only taken 500 hours to do with onshore resources. This is a proven fact, offshored projects take nearly twice as long to get to market as non offshored. Also, the quality of work is sub par. Unless you have top notch specs most Indian developers cannot communicate well enough to bridge the gap if a particualr requirement is ambiguous. You also need to take into consideration in insane amount of employee turnover in the organization. With on shore resources you retain Subject Matter Expertise that can be leveraged in the future. Good luck with that offshore, you will constantly be spending time re-training.

Throw in the time and communication gaps youre never going to make a deadline. I was on a project where I sent the Indians what was to be done overnight and left for the day only to get an email that they didn't understand A, B & C. 24 hours down the drain.

So in conclusion, the whole concept of saving money with off shore developers by getting rid of your onshore devlopers is completly retarded.

Follow me on Twitter
    Facebook - Become a Fan

on the pointy end, calling the line, swearing my fucking ass off
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    but - do indian developers suck or what??
    Undertrained
    Overworked
    No comments
    No tabbing
    Horrible fucking inane shit code

Its a fucking nightmare and Romania isn't much better.
    The only thing worse than the feeling that you are going to die is the realization that you probably won't.