Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

NSR: Bonds hit #756

Congrats.

and I'll wait for his comments after the game...

say what you will, and i agree, but MAD RESPECT...

He was HOF before any allegations and to stay healthy for another 250 bombs...

Thumbs up

He still has the best looking swing in baseball. Cool to see it live (on tv).
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

I'll kick it off...

Juice is juice, and that shit just ain't right. Aaron will remain my HR king.

Picture of Bonds on his rookie card:

and now:

I'll admit that there's a long period in there and plenty of time to bulk up...but I'm gonna bet against it. IMHO, Bonds should be out and Rose should be in...gambling on baseball isn't cheating the records.
    [This Space For Rent]

I have very little excitement regarding this record. We knew it was going to happen and now the real specultation will begin.

Congrats for hitting more home runs in MLB than any other human. But what was the cost and was it worth it? That's a question only one man can answer and I hope he says yes, because this is going to change the face of professional sports records and the way we view them forever.

his daughter is hot
    Points on their own sitting way up high

Quote Originally Posted by runethechamp View Post
    He still has the best looking swing in baseball.
    Next to Jr. Griffey IMHO. Very cool to watch, though. Say what you will, but plenty of other guys took 'roids and none of them hit 756 HRs. Just sayin'.

And that scrum for the ball was insane!
    Last edited by MapleSyrup; 08-07-2007 at 10:45 PM.

I'm kinda curious how many pitchers throwing heat back in the 'roid era were juiced. It's kinda like the cycling deal - juiced athletes were beating juiced athletes, and not being juiced was the exception rather than the rule at the top level - so with all the rampant cheating, the top riders still won out with the exception of the rare rider with tons of talent and such a high degree of ethics that he refused to "enhance".

If the NFL or even the NBA had half the guidelines of the UCI or the IAAF (and MLB isn't even close) I'd be willing to bet 2/3rds of the rosters would be empty.

Quote Originally Posted by MapleSyrup View Post
    ...And that scrum for the ball was insane!
    For me that was more exciting then the hit because I could imagine being in the middle of it all.
    For those who missed it, 6 cops walked the guy out and he was wearing a Mets jersey. It kind of looked like he was shit faced, or maybe all the other people just beat the crap out him before the cops could drag him away.
    Also, did anyone notice how Barry ignored his son at home plate and focused on #1?

Quote Originally Posted by sftc View Post
    Also, did anyone notice how Barry ignored his son at home plate and focused on #1?
    Totally noticed that , it was disappointing watching him diss his son at such an important moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    If the NFL or even the NBA had half the guidelines of the UCI or the IAAF (and MLB isn't even close) I'd be willing to bet 2/3rds of the rosters would be empty.
    Word, and 2/3 is a conservative estimate.

You guys might find this interesting: http://www.editorandpublisher.com/ea..._id=1003621797

Its about the unique brace on his arm and the advantages of it. Who knows if its accurate, but I do know that it allows him to get the outside pitch without fear.
    I belong to a cult that believes in wrecking leather jackets, dying themselves purple and demolishing 40 beer.

He may have the record, but he will never be the "Home Run King".

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

AKA is offline These meaasge boards suck
    Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    He may have the record, but he will never be the "Home Run King".
    Especially when A-Rod breaks his "record" by 70-80 dingers.

Cheating loser.
    Fuck him...if only for dissing his son.

What the hell is more important in life...accolades for cheating, or your son's love?

Bastard.

And anyone who disagrees....shouldn't be a parent.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Jamie Guest
    Who is Barry Bonds?

Who is the chick in your avatar, and can her nipples open beer bottles?

homerroids.

Watched it in a bar on the SF Peninsula. Scattered cheers, lots of head shaking.
    not counting days 2016-17

Jamie Guest
    Was it a gay boxing match or something? All this talk about San Francisco and swingers and rideit getting so emotional about the outcome leads me to believe it has something to do with homosexuality.

Quote Originally Posted by lifts4turns View Post
    You guys might find this interesting: http://www.editorandpublisher.com/ea..._id=1003621797

Its about the unique brace on his arm and the advantages of it. Who knows if its accurate, but I do know that it allows him to get the outside pitch without fear.
    This is a blatent bump because this is really interesting crap about his brace. If you ever played baseball or softball you can see how it could help in a big way. He's a talented athlete but this is kind of bullshit:

Barry Bonds' HR Record Tainted by Elbow 'Armor'?

By Michael Witte

Published: August 06, 2007 10:45 AM

NEW YORK (Commentary) Beyond his alleged steroid use, Barry Bonds is guilty of the use of something that confers extraordinarily unfair mechanical advantage: the “armor” that he wears on his right elbow. Amid the press frenzy over Bonds’ unnatural bulk, the true role of the object on his right arm has simply gone unnoticed.

This is unfortunate, because by my estimate, Bonds’ front arm “armor” may have contributed no fewer than 75 to 100 home runs to his already steroid-questionable total.
    Bonds tied Henry Aaron’s home run record of 755 on Saturday night and will go for the new standard this week back at home in San Francisco.

As a student of baseball – and currently a mechanics consultant to a major league baseball team -- I believe I have insight into the Bonds "achievement." I have studied his swing countless times on video and examined the mechanical gear closely through photographs.

For years, sportswriters remarked that his massive "protective" gear – unequaled in all of baseball -- permits Bonds to lean over the plate without fear of being hit by a pitch. Thus situated, Bonds can handle the outside pitch (where most pitchers live) unusually well. This is unfair advantage enough, but no longer controversial. However, it is only one of at least seven (largely unexplored) advantages conferred by the apparatus.

The other six:

1) The apparatus is hinged at the elbow. It is a literal "hitting machine" that allows Bonds to release his front arm on the same plane during every swing. It largely accounts for the seemingly magical consistency of every Bonds stroke.

2) The apparatus locks at the elbow when the lead arm is fully elongated because of a small flap at the top of the bottom section that fits into a groove in the bottom of the top section. The locked arm forms a rigid front arm fulcrum that allows extraordinary, maximally efficient explosion of the levers of Bonds' wrists. Bonds hands are quicker than those of average hitters because of his mechanical "assistant."

3) When Bonds swings, the weight of the apparatus helps to seal his inner upper arm to his torso at impact. Thus "connected," he automatically hits the ball with the weight of his entire body - not just his arms - as average hitters ("extending") tend to do.

4) Bonds has performed less well in Home Run Derbies than one might expect because he has no excuse to wear a "protector" facing a batting practice pitcher. As he tires, his front arm elbow tends to lift and he swings under the ball, producing towering pop flies or topspin liners that stay in the park. When the apparatus is worn, its weight keeps his elbow down and he drives the ball with backspin.

5) Bonds enjoys quicker access to the inside pitch than average hitters because his "assistant" - counter-intuitively - allows him to turn more rapidly. Everyone understands that skaters accelerate their spins by pulling their arms into their torsos, closer to their axes of rotation. When Bonds is confronted with an inside pitch, he spins like a skater because his upper front arm is "assistant"-sealed tightly against the side of his chest.

6) At impact, Bonds has additional mass (the weight of his "assistant") not available to the average hitter. The combined weight of "assistant" and bat is probably equal to the weight of the lumber wielded by Babe Ruth but with more manageable weight distribution.

At the moment, Bonds' apparatus enjoys "grandfathered" status. Similar devices are presently denied to average
    major leaguers, who must present evidence of injury before receiving an exemption.

Bonds has worn some sort of front arm protection since 1992. In '94, a one-piece forearm guard was replaced by a jointed, two piece elbow model. In ‘95 it got bigger and a small "cap" on the elbow was replaced by a "flap" that overlapped the upper piece and locked the two pieces together when the arm was elongated. In '96, the "apparatus" grew even larger and so did the "flap."

It seems to have remained relatively the same until -- interestingly— 2001, the year of his record 73 home runs, when an advanced model appeared made (apparently) of a new material. It had softer edges and a groove for the flap to slip into automatically at full arm elongation. More important, the upper half of the machine was sculpted to conform more comfortably to the contours of Bonds' upper arm. Since 2001, the apparatus seems to have remained relatively unchanged.

Several years back, baseball was rightfully scandalized by the revelation that Sammy Sosa had "corked" his bat. The advantages conferred by the Bonds "hitting machine," however, far exceed anything supplied by cork. Ultimately, it appears the Bonds "achievement” must be regarded as partly the product of “double duplicity" -- steroidal and mechanical.

Anybody watching the press conference?

"This record is not tanited, at all... At all... Period. You guys can say whatever you want."

-B. Bonds
    Last edited by MapleSyrup; 08-08-2007 at 12:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Was it a gay boxing match or something? .
    So, who is the chick?
    And can jonpierre guzzle, or do you have to cream him post-facto?

i remember that day hank aaron hit #715. i thought he was the greatest player ever.

they'll never name a candy bar after barry.

yeah, i know...just play along...