Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thumbs up EC Maggot Seattle bound

Figured I should start one of these like Treerat (we're in the same ski house in VT).

Before you start, YES, I am doing a search in the archives. But in the meantime, if anyone has anything to add it's greatly appreciated.

Been skiing EC my whole life with trips out west and hit a few summits in the meantime. Love meeting up with maggots at my home mtn in VT and outside of it, always a good time.

Looks like I'm working in the Lake Union area (about a mile east of the Needle). Heard good things around Ballard, Wallingford, Green Lake areas for places to live. Any opinions on apts in those areas? Any places to stay away from? Better suggestions? I don't like high rise city dwelling or a ton of noise. Prefer to be by a park or path.

Biggest question, what is the best place to ski for a maggot? Starting to get into backcountry right now, Avi I certified. Actually doing the San Juan Hut to Huts with Treerat and crew this winter. Love steeps and non-conventional terrain. I'm hearing that Alpental is the closest for that, then there is Crystal, Baker, and eventually Whistler. Any thoughts on these? Where do you get a pass?

Lastly, rock gyms and outdoor routes. Where are the best places?

Loved the city when I briefly visited a few weeks ago for the interview. Just want to avoid traffic and high rise areas to live in. Saw a LOT of great brewpubs, definitely want to meet up with the PNW contingent once I'm out there! I'll pay back advice with brews!

B)

God damn it, you're all leaving me. Thanks a lot guys. I'll have to move out there and drive everyone out again. Have fun, and look up shmerham while you're there.

I've always been a fan of the Queen Anne area. Have a lot of friends with condos in the area and they dig it. Pretty laid back, good views, relatively affordable prices in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by TyWebb View Post
    I've always been a fan of the Queen Anne area. Have a lot of friends with condos in the area and they dig it. Pretty laid back, good views, relatively affordable prices in comparison.
    That's actually another place that I liked, just forgot the name of it. Thanks!

B)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn Man View Post
    Heard good things around Ballard, Wallingford, Green Lake areas for places to live. Any opinions on apts in those areas? Any places to stay away from? Better suggestions? I don't like high rise city dwelling or a ton of noise. Prefer to be by a park or path.
    Fremont has gotten too trendy and expensive, Ballard is going that way as well, but still has values. N. Green Lake will be cheapest, but also worst neighborhood around 99/Aurora. Don't overlook Magnolia.

Biggest question, what is the best place to ski for a maggot? Starting to get into backcountry right now, Avi I certified. Actually doing the San Juan Hut to Huts with Treerat and crew this winter. Love steeps and non-conventional terrain. I'm hearing that Alpental is the closest for that, then there is Crystal, Baker, and eventually Whistler. Any thoughts on these?
    They're all great. Alpental is the closest. Crystal the biggest. Don't overlook Stevens Pass. Take a tour at Wing Ridge Huts in the Wallowas.
    Where do you get a pass?
    Alpental/Snoqualmie is the best value. I get one there and @ Crustal. There's a lot of bickering about which is best, kinda like Lutherans and Presbyterians.
    Lastly, rock gyms and outdoor routes. Where are the best places?
    Stone Gardens in Ballard: http://www.stonegardens.com/

Loved the city when I briefly visited a few weeks ago for the interview. Just want to avoid traffic and high rise areas to live in. Saw a LOT of great brewpubs, definitely want to meet up with the PNW contingent once I'm out there! I'll pay back advice with brews!

B)
    It ain't what it was, but it's still great. I'm out of the loop, but there's lots of great ski freaks in the area.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 08-07-2007 at 11:28 AM.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Hooray! More couch space!

I'm so happy for you, man. Sad that you won't be around as much...but your winters just got sooo much better.

You will still be back for some EC slumming though. I just know it!

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

Queen Anne is not affordable

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by snowsprite View Post

I'm so happy for you, man. Sad that you won't be around as much...but your winters just got sooo much better.

You will still be back for some EC slumming though. I just know it!

Sprite
    I slum it anywhere I can get it

And yes, I will definitely be hitting the ol' K in the future. Those trees are in my blood....

B)

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Alpental/Snoqualmie is the best value. I get one there and @ Crustal. There's a lot of bickering about which is best, kinda like Lutherans and Presbyterians.

But it's just us pagans at Baker.
    Living vicariously through myself.

The 3+ hour drive to Baker is a bit much for these bones.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I live with this fact the first of every month. However good views of the sound and a plethora of smokin' hot MILFs and yuppies make it all worth while.

The prices between Fremont/Phinney Ridge area and Ballard aren't so bad and there are plenty of bars within stumbling distance. If I end up moving anytime soon its there or Ballard. Good luck with the move and don't bring any of your friends.

Thumbs up

lol - - - it's all relative! remember, he's been doing the drive from NJ to Vermont for skiing!

Congrats! Disappointed you won't be able to show me some Killington secrets, but psyched for you!!

I've only been here a year, but can add a couple things:

I don't climb much anymore, but am friends with some good climbers. Exit 38 is 45 minutes from Seattle and has decent routes (when it's dry). The Leavenworth area is the best "rock" climbing in the state and has everything from multi-pitch trad to sport routes. It's two hours from Seattle and on the dry side of the Cascades so better weather. I was just shown some of the numerous granite boulders this last weekend, pretty high quality stuff. Good rock off of the North Cascades hwy too. In terms of Alpine, well that's all over the place.

If you want to have little to no traffic, don't venture any further north than the neighborhoods you've mentioned. I would make sure Mercer St. is not a required route to get from your work to whereever you move, it's always backed up at rush hour. I think the Fremont/Zoo area is just a reasonable rent wise as Wallingford/Ballard....especially if you live up the hill a bit away from the downtown area of Fremont (where I live). I take the bus to work and it's usually a 20 minute ride (less than 10 if I drove).

Even though I've never met you I'm pretty much seething with jealousy right now. I think the PNW maggots have it pretty good and I bet you will have a great time. Nils mentioned you a few times - maybe I'll run into you if I make a ski trip out there next winter. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by TyWebb View Post
    I really liked that place when I visited. Such cute houses with great views. I'm sure you pay for it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by snowsprite View Post
    Did I say that? Oh, wait, I should have.

If you're looking for cheap you could always live in Tacoma. I payed $300 a month plus utilities in my last place, but someone did get shot and killed 100ft from my front porch last summer. Trade-offs.

P.S. ski Alpental.

There's a couch available awhole lot closer, if you can escape the wee ones that long.
    Living vicariously through myself.

Seattle has tons of parks and trails and tons of brewpubs. Being near them is a premium though. If you're more focused on that than the cost, I'd recommend:

Montlake / North Capitol Hill if you're working on the east or south side of Lake Union. You have the arboretum and Volunteer Park and Lake Washington Blvd all nearby.

If you're on the west side of the lake, I'd recommend:

Greenlake if you want to be in a quiet neighborhood near a lake with a 3 mile uninterupted trail with lots of "scenery".

Fremont if you want to be right on the Burke-Gilman bike trail, which takes you all the way to Redmond and if you want lots of brewpubs and want to be somewhere trendy.

Magnolia if you don't mind a bit longer of a commute and want the best park that Seattle has to offer (and I think it may be a bit less expensive than the other neighborhoods).

On Queen Anne: there aren't any parks or trails, and if you want to be away from high rises but near bars and restaurants it's either the top of the hill, or the north side (across the bridge from Fremont)

Craigslist is probably the way to go for apartments.

There are some places that do monthly rentals and you could also sublet for a few months from someone on Craiglist. Might want to consider that while you find a good place to live.

Rent in Seattle isn't bad. Buying is a different story. If you're tight on costs, there are other good options, but you'll have to drive further and give up some of the amenities.

My extremely humble and one year's worth of experience view on skiing:

Alpental - definitely the closest, lots of gnar, and the least expensive pass, the backcountry is fun, but you can also get yourself in trouble there very easily. It's small, but there's plenty of stuff there to keep my interested.
    Stevens - next closest, can have the best quality snow when the storms come in right, takes a lot of knowledge to find the goods (a lot is out-of-bounds). A lot of the in bounds stuff is pretty tame, but there's some really good spots.
    Crystal - The place where you can figure things out yourself really easily. So much terrain that can be seen from the chairlift. Expensive season passes. Pretty awesome when it dumps.
    Baker - definitely the furthest, definitely the most snow, lots of gnar, tons of backcountry if conditions are safe

Sweet! We'll have to roll out the welcome mat when you get to town.

All areas you looked at are on my preferred list. There are some really awesome apartments that just opened up at Amli535 in South Lake Union (best roof top deck in the city! - incredible for 4th July fireworks). I'm a big fan of Greenlake/Wallingford but those can be a tough find. Ballard will get more bang for your buck and is more 'artisian' - it's a hot spot to buy right now. Main drawback is that you have a heinous 5 mile stretch of stoplights & traffic when you want to go anywhere outside of Ballard.

Skiing? Alpental is kind of a no-brainer since it is:
    a. cheap
    b. close
    c. gnar
    d. night pow pow (for after work sessions!)
    There's plenty of great touring off Snoqualmie Pass as well

Stevens definitely gets the best quality snow- and has some great hidden terrain OB. Crystal is going to be more on par with the 'big mountain' experience, though it has great pitch- it's more open. Not too gnar, but there's plenty of fun stuff to be had.

Quote Originally Posted by shmerham View Post
    Montlake / North Capitol Hill if you're working on the east or south side of Lake Union. You have the arboretum and Volunteer Park and Lake Washington Blvd all nearby.
    Great area to live.

Everyone else's advice has you more than covered.

Welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

congrats! you suck! (i need to find a new rock climbing par'dner)

(:

-steve

Welcome to the PNW. You will want to check out turns-all-year.com to get the low down on the BC scene out here. There is endless skiing in the cascades and it will take you years to see most of it. Very nice people on the site and you should have no problems finding locals to share the goods. Personally, I buy a mid week pass at Alpental and dailys at the others when the storms mandate but mostly I'm touring for the big lines. Keep your mind open the Olympic Mtns. too. Long approches mostly but many decents that no one has skied.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=83798

See you arround.

VERY cool beta so far, thank you all for the info so far. Looks like I gotta hit Craigslist to look for an apt. I'll let you all know when it happens, then the first rounds on me!

B)

Quote Originally Posted by RIGAFARI View Post
    I guess its all relative. My brother-in-law pays $700 in Queen Anne which is $400 less then he was paying in Capitol Hill and $600 less than he was paying in Minneapolis. Just depends I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    congrats! you suck! (i need to find a new rock climbing par'dner)

(:

-steve
    steve what are you using for a harness?

I can't seem to find one that fits(obviously designers weren't thinking about guys like me when designing harness size)
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

dude.... sweeet.... enjoy!!!
    The Revolution Will Not Be Televised