Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I prefer the Fuk Yu martial art. You yell "FUK YU" then run fast as hell.
    Of all the muthafuckas on earth, you the muthafuckest.

Quote Originally Posted by JBrian
    Basically what happened is some drunk asshole climbed up on our roof and started throwing shit at cars and people. By the time I was out there, there were three dudes hanging around, one appearing from the property who I suspect was the one on the roof because he disappeared quickly, and I was grilling them about who they were and who was on the roof throwing shit, at this point the cops had been called (at least) twice and things were under reasonable control although I was pissed off.

Then out of nowhere, a newer white Cadillac shows up and I suddenly have a gorilla in my face. I have no idea who he was or what his relation was with all this. He was dressed similarly to some kids that sell crack and weed on the corner so it may be a territorial thing, I don't know. All I know is that after not backing down from him and trying to get his tag number, he tried to chase me down. If that fucker had caught me, I'd be in pieces hence the renewed interest in self defense, grappling and knowing pressure points could have made a huge difference if he had got a hold of me. Again, he came out of nowhere and it all escalated very quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    How did you end up in the situation in the first place
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powers
    That's how the plague started back in the day...from a little disgusting bird bath in someones back yard that rats made sex to birds in and created a whole new type of AIDS

Quote Originally Posted by JBrian View Post

I want to take some defense classes. I'm not interested in flashy martial arts, tournaments, belts, ghees (sp?) or any of that shit (I have nothing against MMA, I just don't have room for any more hobbies). I want to learn how to bring someone down and disable them quickly and efficiently in a real world scenario. I've been told Jiu-Jitsu is good, I've also heard Hapkido is very good for street defense and I recently heard Krav Maga is a good art for real world fighting although the kinda stuff they teach is hard to practice in a gym, so it's mostly just theory.
    Self Defense will get you killed... Possibly literally and most likely figuritively..

1) Move
    2) If you want to learn how to take people down, learn how to fight. Don't believe the bull you hear about differnt styles, just find something that practices take downs and stick with it for a long time.. oh wait, you don't want another hobby

For 29.99 I'll teach you how to throw people on their heads*

*Your experience may vary..... You might get thrown on your head instead
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    1. jab
    2. knee to his balls
    3. uppercut with the right
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

Quote Originally Posted by bklyn View Post
    1. jab
    2. knee to his balls
    3. uppercut with the right
    I have only been in a couple fights and I use a variation of this one, to great success.

1. Leave if possible
    2. If not, always take first punch. Jab to the adam's apple. Applicable to men and aggressive drag queens (if you are fighting a girl, I would reevaluate your life choices)
    3. While hunched over, knee to nose.

From this morning's paper:

"Cops and Courts

Santa Cruz

Stabbing victim in stable condition

A 20-year-old Santa Cruz man was shot in the foot after he was confronted by gang members Saturday night at Riverside Avenue and the Riverside Avenue bridge, according to Santa Cruz police.

Police said the man was confronted by four men wearing dark clothing at the bridge, and that words were exchanged between the men and the victim.

The victim fled and was eventually shot at 9:37 p.m. on the 100 block of Canfield Street on the north side of the San Lorenzo River.

A car matching a description of one the suspects were driving was later stopped on northbound Highway 17 at the Pasatiempo Drive exit. Police later released the occupants. Additional details were unavailable.

The victim was taken to Dominican Hospital, where he was listed in stable condition, police said.

Police asked that anyone with information about the shooting call the dDepartment at 420-5820. Callers may also leave anonymous information by calling 420-5995.
    Advertisement

live oak

Sheriff probes slashing incident

The Santa Cruz County Sheriff's Office is investigating the stabbing of a 19-year-old man who was slashed in the face Saturday night inside the parking lot of East Cliff Village at Merrill Street and 17th Avenue, according to a firefighter on scene.

The victim, whose name was withheld, was taken to Dominican Hospital in Santa Cruz shortly after the 9 p.m. attack, said firefighter Jason Nee with the Central Fire Protection District.

"It was a relatively deep cut, but it wasn't life-threatening," Nee said."

Just another weekend in beautiful SC - it amazes me that people bring their families here for vacation. Santa Rosa is sounding better and better. We've been talking about getting out of these apartments for a long time but they're cheap, walking distance to everything and it is really tough finding housing here.

Good advice in this thread and I'll check out the links. I'm gonna talk to a couple friends and start checking out local MMA gyms today.

Thanks.

I think you need to re-evaluate the legal implications of your wife's felony status w/r/t your ownership and possession of a firearm.

and move.
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Why don't you just hike it up the road a bit to Capitola. I used to get my mail at the Fog Bank.

How will carrying a concealed weapon keep people from fucking with you?

bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post
    Because you will feel so badass knowing you've got that handy penis extension ready.

<generalization> 90% of these folks are not prepared to shoot another person, nor have they ever attempted it. 90% have never seen a dead body outside of a funeral home. 99.9% have never seen a dead body with a gunshot wound to the head or chest. 100% would have nightmares and guilt haunting them the rest of their lives for killing someone over some trivial bullshit. </generalization>
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post
    Because when you show it to them they can take it away and then they'd have a sweet gun! Who wouldn't leave to go get icecream after getting a free gun?

Scumbags enjoy breaking shit, being loud and vulgar and trying to hurt people. Unless you also enjoy these pursuits as well you will lose when you engage them because you are playing their game. Like the old line about wrestling with pigs.

Move, lifes too short.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Your concealed weapon is NOT a deterrent. It is a last resort.

Only the idea that anyone could have one is... but obviously it is far from a reliable deterrent because most people don't have concealed weapons.

Open carry is a deterrent.

Never show a weapon unless you are capable and willing to use it and doing so is necessary.

Avoiding unnecessary confrontation and moving away from bad areas is a much better strategy but it should be coupled with survival capability.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by lemon boy View Post
    I think you need to re-evaluate the legal implications of your wife's felony status w/r/t your ownership and possession of a firearm.
    and move.
    I'm not sure I follow you on "re-evaluate" but if you mean double check the statute, then we have and it seems to jive with what her attorneys told her on her last conviction: she can be prosecuted for being in a house/car/building with firearms, whether she's aware they're there or not. I doubt any judge would put her in prison under reasonable circumstances but the law seems pretty clear, in fact, it appears to be worse than we originally thought; I think my potato gun, pellet gun and wrist rocket fall under the category of "weapons" that she's not supposed to be in proximity of.

I have the penal code but not the time at the moment to find and quote it, but it seems pretty clear. They can have the pellet gun and the wrist rocket but they'll have to pry my tater cannon from my cold, dead hands.

Had I a gun that night, I wouldn't have brought it out unless the confrontation came onto the property or further. I wouldn't have come in and grabbed a gun like I did the pipe and gone back into the street, although the pipe would probably be taken pretty seriously by a judge/jury; IMO, a street fight doesn't justify brandishing a gun unless it escalated and came onto our property.

We talked about it last night and we're both ready for a major relocation. In spite of the conveniences of living downtown, the downsides (obviously) aren't worth it anymore, at least here in Insanity Cruz.

I found a gym that's a 15 minute bike ride from here and teaches Muay Thai (Thai Kickboxing) which looks like a truly bad ass art - anyone familiar with it? Seems interesting in that they heavily emphasize the use of elbows and knees which apparently insn't the case with most martial arts:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muay_thai

They have a class tonight and I'm gonna go check it out and see if I can talk to the instructor and/or some of the students for a bit and see what the deal is. My girl is interested in taking some kickboxing classes too so this could be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by bklyn View Post
    Because you will feel so badass knowing you've got that handy penis extension ready.

<generalization> 90% of these folks are not prepared to shoot another person, nor have they ever attempted it. 90% have never seen a dead body outside of a funeral home. 99.9% have never seen a dead body with a gunshot wound to the head or chest. 100% would have nightmares and guilt haunting them the rest of their lives for killing someone over some trivial bullshit. </generalization>

Those are pretty broad generalizations. I think most people who take CCL are at some point ok with killing someone that is threatening them or their family's lives. That point may vary from person to person, and some people's line are definitely too short.

And gun shot wounds are no fun to see, anywhere. They are all gross; head, chest, leg, wherever.

I might be a cold bastard, but if someone threatens my life to the point where I have to shoot them, then I will be fine with doing that. Though, I wont' be killing people over trivial bullshit.

on the pointy end, calling the line, swearing my fucking ass off
    While a gun is a fabulous idea if you're willing to put in 20 hours a week at a tactical range...

And martial arts/fighting is a wonderful idea if you're willing to spend 20+ hours a week in a gym...

Firebombing the complex is probably out of the question, although then you and the little lady could have matching felonies....

Besides all the bullshit blowhard crap that this thread has brought out from people who've either a: never been in a real fight or b: never been in a situation wielding a gun... why not just, I don't know, move?

Its certainly the easier, safer, saner option.
    And if you have a lease, given the circumstances I'm sure you'll have NO problem breaking it.
    The only thing worse than the feeling that you are going to die is the realization that you probably won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Free Range Lobster View Post
    ... why not just, I don't know, move?
    A martial arts studio that has students is a failure. Avoid those.

Find a studio with only a teacher. All his students have mastered the fundamental lesson of the true martial arts.

on the pointy end, calling the line, swearing my fucking ass off
    Quote Originally Posted by David Witherspoon View Post

Find a studio with only a teacher. All his students have mastered the fundamental lesson of the true martial arts.
    Art Of War in this situation would say: Find new place to live.
    The only thing worse than the feeling that you are going to die is the realization that you probably won't.

Find a studio with only a teacher.
    Ya, I'll get right on that..

You watch too many movies.

While drinking whiskey with a Navy SEAL friend of mine once, I asked him these types of questions, expecting to learn some burly ass kicking manuevers.....his immediate response was "kick em in the balls". Throat punches sound fun too.
    "It's too bad that a lot of people have never experienced the feeling of rollerblading in the cool air of a summer evening"
    TheQuietStorm

I woulda pulled out my gat and started poppin' some caps. Fuck them bitches.

Wow, I'm really glad that kinda shit doesn't happen in my neighborhood! The last drug dealers moved out 7 years ago.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

Quote Originally Posted by brice618 View Post
    I might be a cold bastard, but if someone threatens my life to the point where I have to shoot them, then I will be fine with doing that. Though, I wont' be killing people over trivial bullshit.
    Pretty sure I'd be capable of killing a person to save my dog's life.

My dog is a much better person than a lot of people.

I own guns, one of which is marketed as a "home defense" type gun. However, I prefer to just think of it as entertainment, and maybe bear protection. It does give me a little piece of mind to know that I have it just in case, but I really doubt I'll ever "need" it. The sort of people that scream things at people and talk shit (especially just to run away) are NOT the type of people that should ever own guns. Next thing you know, they'll talk shit to someone, then get their gun cus they're scared of getting thier ass kicked, then someone else will get a gun cus they're scared of getting shot, and bad things will happen.

Just fucking move man.
    Last edited by leroy jenkins; 08-08-2007 at 12:56 AM.