Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Where to go?

Squatch Guest

Where to go?

So my parents and some extended family want to take a week-long ski trip right around New Years, and they're planning it now. If it were up to me, I'd go where the snow was--however, it's not. I do still have fun on these things, though, so I was curious what places besides CO (they've done that a bunch) are reliable that time of year.

I wasn't thinking so much snow-wise as much as temperature-wise. There are some fair-weather skiers in the bunch, and I'd rather have everybody out enjoying themselves that skipping days or heading in early because it is too cold. If we got some snow with temps in the 20s I'd be happy with that, though.

Some spots that were suggested by my uncle were UT and Whistler. I'd definitely love to go to either, mostly because I've never been. NWS is predicting a fairly normal winter, precip-wise, with slightly higher than average temps. Seems like stuff has varied wildly on that time of year--it rained on Xmas in Whistler 2 years ago, and they had a large base this year. What's UT like around New Year's? Of the two, which do folks recommend? Other suggestions? The caveat is that it has to be a resort, 'cause that's how they roll.

Japan
    Bali
    Buenos Aires
    Kinshasa
    Elvis has left the building

Squatch Guest
    I'm too big for Japan.

I was going to say Whistler/Blackcomb. It will probably have the mildest temperature combined with the "most reliable" snow conditions.

That being said, I'll be up in the interior BC for all of Christmas break.

Jackson Hole

Jamie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by AsheanMT View Post
    Jackson Hole

I bet you like little boy's holes! NAMBLA!!

Jackson Hole gets cold. Actually just Wyoming in general. Really cold. Not recommended for fair weather skiers. Targhee is nice though. Or Montana. Go to Big Sky.
    Quote Originally Posted by TWINS View Post
    I love it when shitweasels get there panties all in a bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by FREESKIER_FIVE-0 View Post
    Jackson Hole gets cold. Actually just Wyoming in general. Really cold. Not recommended for fair weather skiers. Targhee is nice though. Or Montana. Go to Big Sky.
    Speaking from experience, Big Sky can get brutally fkn cold. Who know what the temp will be like anywhere come Jan '08. Perhaps Taos will have the temps you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by givebackbloom View Post
    I was going to say Whistler/Blackcomb. It will probably have the mildest temperature combined with the "most reliable" snow conditions.

That being said, I'll be up in the interior BC for all of Christmas break.
    I'm sure some of the locals can chime in better, but the two times I was there at xmas/new years it was hit or miss. The first time was fuckin cold, frostbite warnings on the summit chair most days, etc. The upside was we got like 4-6in everyday we were there, plus I gather that type of cold is rare that time of year. The next time we went was rain down at the base, turning to snow part way up most days.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Quote Originally Posted by cj001f View Post
    Japan
    Bali
    Buenos Aires
    Kinshasa
    What part of "Ski vacation" did you not get?

As far as squatch's question, anywhere at new years is going to be hit or miss. Anywhere with decent coverage that early probably won't have that much sun. Maybe tahoe will be what you're looking for.

Tahoe meets all of your requirements, except last year it sucked over New Years. Lots to do besides skiing, a dozen hills to choose from, mild temps even in the middle of a storm, hookers and blow just down the hill in Reno (Oh wait, that was not on the list.)

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post

As far as squatch's question, anywhere at new years is going to be hit or miss. Anywhere with decent coverage that early probably won't have that much sun. Maybe tahoe will be what you're looking for.
    True. My family did the same xmas/new years type ski trip every year while I was in HS and college and the Whistler trip I referred to above was the only really great one as far as conditions. Our trips to Squaw Valley and Park City were particularly shitty conditions, like spring skiing it was so warm and snowless. But maybe that is what they are looking for.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Go to Utah, Squatch. Edit to say, actually go to JH. We went there for New Years when I was a sophomore in college and it killed.
    Last edited by Rontele; 08-03-2007 at 09:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen mental illness so faithfully rendered in html.

We partied for New Year's at JH last year. Had a blast! My parents were not there though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

UT is as safe of a bet as you can make. LCC/BCC will surely be decent (ANTIJINX), and if you are lucky, you will be there for a 120" dump in 3 days (ala a couple years ago)
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    UT is as safe of a bet as you can make. LCC/BCC will surely be decent (ANTIJINX), and if you are lucky, you will be there for a 120" dump in 3 days (ala a couple years ago)
    Thats probably your best bet. And you always have the Mormon Tablernacle and Mormon Mall to visit for those who dont really like skiing.

Fair weather skiers! I've never heard of such a thing. Go to Cali...Squaw or Mammoth, although not always consistently they've gotten serious storms in recent years around that time of year. And if its not storming it will be sunny for the softies.

You can drive to Utah. Hit Whistler on the parent's dime.
    .....Visit my website. .....

"a yin without a yang"

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadoo View Post
    I'm sure some of the locals can chime in better, but the two times I was there at xmas/new years it was hit or miss. The first time was fuckin cold, frostbite warnings on the summit chair most days, etc. The upside was we got like 4-6in everyday we were there, plus I gather that type of cold is rare that time of year. The next time we went was rain down at the base, turning to snow part way up most days.
    I stand corrected. I completely forgot about the rain aspect.

bklyn is online now who guards the guardians?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Cop View Post
    You can drive to Utah. Hit Whistler on the parent's dime.
    ^^ The right answer.
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

Don't live in whistler so can't say for sure but in WA, which receives similar weather, there always seem to be a lot of snow coming in in nov. and december and my local resort usually has exceptionally good coverage by christmas. Plus whistler temps are mild in general. I'd say whistler would be you best bet.
    Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

jackson...

mini-hijack

The gf and I have been thinking of convincing her family to take a similar trip. Apparently they went to PC, Utah many years ago and were a bit unhappy about the booze situation. I believe they are a mix of fair weather and decent skiers. They like to booze it up a bit in the evenings (I'm the opposite, alll skiing - no boozing) and schmooze so I'm thinking that someplace where there is no driving to/from the ski area and a good deal of options for afternoon/evening entertainment. Also, I think they should go somewhere that isn't mediocre. i.e. no Breckenridge, Deer Valley, etc. (For the record I've never been to other.

possibilities:
    Whistler: rad skiing + an annoying base village that they will probably enjoy
    Big Sky: Supposedly rad skiing, no idea on the social scene. I'm guessing not much.
    Jackson: I've never been. Could be freezing, not sure about its resort-i-ness level
    Tahoe: could be decent snow at the time? (who knows) driving to skiing, Tahoe City seemed kind of lame as a town.

My family will be at Big Sky. I suspect terrain will be limited on that fucking choss pile, however.

Think about what the group like to do apres and what ability levels your dealing with. Weather is going to be a coin flip. Who know? Whistler tends to have something for everyone terrain and apres. Pretty much the whole package. Jackson if you're rolling with rippers but there definitely is the cold factor. Not much night life at Big Sky but fun for the whole family terrain-wise. Jay Peak?
    Uno mas