Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    We're making amazing progress in the fight against each and every one of these diseases, and maybe I'm an unrealistic optimist, but I think that by the time I retire, we'll have most of 'em figured out.
    i share your optimism indeed; Gardasil is a reminder of one of the fights that has borne fruit.
    Balls Deep in the 'Ho

Quote Originally Posted by BlurredElevens View Post
    I know there's a VERY good chance I'll get it some day too.
    i wouldn't wish that shit on you, homes.
    Balls Deep in the 'Ho

Quote Originally Posted by BlurredElevens View Post
    I hope you're right.
    Well, I hope I am too, but I could very well be wrong. I mean, I know several people who are retiring (or close to retiring) themselves who thought that cancer would be figured out by the time they retired. We're closer to understanding the gears in the clockwork, but still very very far away, mostly because the problem is so much more complicated than we could have possibly imagined 36 years ago when Nixon declared "War on Cancer".

So. In the next 24 hours some 1500 Americans will die of some form of cancer. If you include the 9/11 casualties and all the soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan, the total # of Americans dead in the "War on Terror" will be exceeded in about 4 days. Both are difficult and intractable problems, of course, but perhaps there is something to be said for emphases and priorities where funding is concerned.

[editorial]Certainly more $$$ for research would certainly be useful at accelerating this goal, both here and abroad. I still find it amazing that the work addressing such a complicated and intricate set of problems manages to truck along (from both a basic science and clinical standpoint) when its funding is dwarfed by expenditures or set-asides like the "War On Terrorism" or tax breaks for wealthy Libertarians. In fact, with the current administration's priorities, funding for basic and applied research has suffered significantly since 2000, to the extent that an entire generation of grad students, postdocs and research fellows finishing their training are finding it increasingly difficult to establish a career in clinical and/or biological research, whether it be directly or peripherally cancer related.[/editorial]
    All this talk about the government and NIH... remember, it is not the NIH who discovers new medicines, for the most part.

Furthermore, pharma is spending a hell of a lot more on cancer research than the NIH. Furthermore, those who want to establish a career in oncology have only to look to pharma to find unlimited funding and be surrounded by others (such as myself) who are working their asses off to find new therapies for cancer. While you might think that the evil drug companies are motivated only by money I can assure you that most of us who are "at the bench" want absolutely nothing more than to help those in need.

My Mom suffered though breast cancer this last fall (mastectomy) and while they were doing a routine pre-operative pet scan found a lump in her lung. So this past spring, still recovering from breast cancer, they removed a chunk of her lung. She is now going through chemo (taxol/cis-Pt).

So believe me... I have my motivation.

It will be a long time before we conquer cancer. Each type is different and needs to be treated differently. However, in the interim we will continue to reduce mortality and we will create/discover less toxic therapies.
    "Go Balls Deep!"

I have no beef with pharma, and am very grateful that they're an integral part of the battle, but my douchebag liberal tendencies make me think that if it were left up to private sector pharma, we'd be much further behind than we are now. That's because many (probably the majority) of the breakthroughs come from studies that aren't close to immediately obvious in re: moneymaking potential. And if pharma doesn't see a profit somewhere down the line, its less likely they'll invest. Simple economics really, and I don't begrudge them for it.

I had a melanoma (in situ with regression) a couple years back, and thankfully no problems since it was removed by wide area excision. OTOH no one wants to sell me life insurance either, and being self-emloyed, I'd be really screwed if my wife didn't have health insurance through California state employees.

Squeeze a boob, and while your at it, do a complete body check. Don't dismiss changes while they seem small. Um, guys...prostate check?

Well, I hope I am too, but I could very well be wrong. I mean, I know several people who are retiring (or close to retiring) themselves who thought that cancer would be figured out by the time they retired. We're closer to understanding the gears in the clockwork, but still very very far away, mostly because the problem is so much more complicated than we could have possibly imagined 36 years ago when Nixon declared "War on Cancer".

So. In the next 24 hours some 1500 Americans will die of some form of cancer. If you include the 9/11 casualties and all the soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan, the total # of Americans dead in the "War on Terror" will be exceeded in about 4 days. Both are difficult and intractable problems, of course, but perhaps there is something to be said for emphases and priorities where funding is concerned.
    I definitely agree with you in theory, but unfortunately it's not so easy to apply to our world. We can discuss all this in the padded room so that I don't totally cunt up this thread. Anyway, thanks for your endeavors in a field that can help so many people.

Talking

if you can't squeeze a boob tonight, please refer to:

NSFW - for your viewing pleasure

at least you'll be squeezing something
    Balls Deep in the 'Ho

Thanks for chiming in Tri-U. I have been temped to state the same, but don't have the background you do. It was put to me very simply back in my school days. "You are better off with cancer then heart or kidney disease. Cancer is potentially curable, but the others will eventually kill you." I know it is a simplification, but there is a degree of truth in it.

I doubt we will see a cure for cancer before you retire, it is just too complex, but there will be many better treatments for nearly all cancers, and cures for many. As you said the "we will find a cure for cancer by....." has been said many, many times since Nixon declared war on cancer. Needless to say, I hope I am wrong.

As for funding the search, it is, and always has been a public and privately funded search. Even big corps. depend on public funds, or at a minimum on results of public research.

I have no medical background, so not much to add, other than an interesting semantics clarification.

I spend a lot of time on a breast cancer board, specifically for women under 40. There are many women (and I hope I'm one of them) who get the disease, battle it, and then go on to live, long, happy lives.

Are they "cured"? No. No doctor will ever use that word. They use "No Evidence of Disease". You can then live the rest of your life NED - another 30, 40 , 50 years, but they still won't say you're "cured". But you might as well be, since you'll end up dying of something other than the cancer.

Just thought I'd toss that out there so others who might face cancer don't get depressed reading this thread .
    “Within this furnace of fear, my passion for life burns fiercely. I have consumed all evil. I have overcome my doubt. I am the fire.”

My brother just found out yesterday that his cancer came back and has now spread to his lungs. Not good to say the least. This blows. Before all this started a year ago he was 32 and in perfect health. Anyone can get this shitt.

2 important lessons from all this:
    A. Enjoy the good times in life that much more and,
    B. Make sure your insurances, both health and disability are up to date. Fortunatly, they are in his case.
    Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

I just found out a few weeks ago that a friend of mine has leukemia. He used to be my boss. Great guy and not there's a good time to get cancer, but he just adopted a little girl. Sad stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, I'm not allowed to delete this post, but, I can say, go fuck yourselves, everybody!

Thank you to those who have "come out" and shared their stories...

After reading WSD's post this AM, I went off for a run sans music. Just thinking. I was thinking about cancer and how it affects people.

Looking at the people on this board who have had 1st hand experience with cancer and then reading through this thread and seeing so many other people with 2nd hand experience with cancer, you realize that you are not alone in the fight.

Cancer can be a very lonely disease; people support you the best that they know how and the best that they can, but ultimately, a lot of it is going it alone.

I know that most people don't have the following motivation for going public, so I just want to thank you for it. Like many have stated before (and Blurred stated it quite poetically above), there are a good number of us reading this thread that will some day get cancer. Those are the facts. Reading through the stories from our friends who have cancer and have fought it so bravely undoubtedly gives others hope. Nobody wants cancer, of course, but I know that if "my number comes up,' I'll be able to look at it in a very different way having read these stories. I will be brave. I will fight. I will live my life. I will be scared, but I will fight it with all that I've got.

That, I think, is a true benefit of survivor stories. The more public they become, the more strength you can pull from them.

So, thank you, to all that have come forward and told your stories. You are giving strength and courage to people who will need it some day.

Quote Originally Posted by lemon boy View Post
    It is just a part of life and death.

If it isn't cancer killing people it's old age, car wrecks, aids, superflu or whatever.

It's certainly a trial for those going through it but nobody makes it out of life alive.

I'm not trying to be flippant either, it's big necessary mojo.
    U right man and

Just got back from the Huntsman Cancer Institute - cancer
    Last edited by CommanderBaker; 08-03-2007 at 03:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    No more internal power struggle;
    We come together to overcome the little trouble.
    Soon we'll find out who is the real revolutionary,
    'Cause I don't want my people to be contrary?

WTF...I just found out a former co-worker and friend (36 yrs old father of 3) Has cancer of the Gall Bladder and it has metastized (sp) into his stomach. Initial findings are stage 4? I am just in complete shock. FUCK CANCER.

I'm glad it's helpful to share. I do feel glad I shared it here (in answer to Buzz's question also!).

One of the things I've learned is that this is a hell of a lot easier to go through with lots of people by my side. It's very isolating to be a young person with cancer - you have very few, or no, peers nearby to share with.

I think of this experience as a trial run for those after me who will get diagnosed. I think of my community as creating a road map for dealing with it. It has been made so much more bearable with all the support I've gotten, that the next person (and sadly, there will be a next person), who gets the bad news will at least have an example for how to get through it without letting it take over.

Oh, and did I mention lately that cancer sucks?
    “Within this furnace of fear, my passion for life burns fiercely. I have consumed all evil. I have overcome my doubt. I am the fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by watersnowdirt View Post
    It's very isolating to be a young person with cancer - you have very few, or no, peers nearby to share with.
    Damn straight. It's a difficult thing to be sitting in an oncology ward where everyone is significantly older than you (or in the cases of some young adults, stuck in a pediatric ward full of children). And a lot of your friends are often so busy with their own careers, relationships, and new families that they can't be as supportive as they might like to be. When I was first diagnosed, I really went through that first year by myself. I was living in a town where I had few friends, and the only real friend I did have was involved with a new girlfreind (now wife) who was totally demanding of his time (personally I tink he will divorce her in ten years because she doesn't let him have any time to himself). I didn't even have anyone to call up to go out and grab a burger and catch a movie with. It was an extremely lonely time in my life.

But for me the most difficult thing, especially these last few months, has been seeing how it has effected my family, my mom in particular. I really think she needs to see someone to talk about what she is going through. I told my father this the other night, and he agreed. I'm actually handling this mentally much better than I ever thought I could. Sure, I'm afraid, andry, sad, and confused. But I also like to think that I have some control over the situation, that there are actions I can take. Nothing uspets me more about this than seeing how much it upsets my mom.
    "There is a hell of a huge difference between skiing as a sport- or even as a lifestyle- and skiing as an industry"
    Hunter S. Thompson, 1970 (RIP)

Dear Hodgkins Disease,
    Fuck you for stealing my mom for 2 long years when I was young. Fuck you for some of the mental issues it left me with still today.

Thank you tri-ung and others for providing a cure so that my mother eventually returned to normal.

You put up a good fight and lived a wonderful life. You will be missed, but never forgotten.

RIP Judy.

Cancer Sucks.
    Since then it's been a book you read in reverse, so you understand less as the pages turn.

The things you find on the net.

My favorite cousin russell, 46 and they just found a growth in his lungs. cancer. blech.

I had an aunt that I was very close with who died of cancer (don't know what) when I was a teenager. My parents didn't want me to go visit her but it still tears at my heart when I think about it and the way she went. She was a great person.

FUCK YOU CANCER!
    eating and sleeping is serious business

COCKSUVKING MOTHER FUCKING CANCER
    Good friend just got news a tumor in his brain is huge. He has beeat it before and I pray again, but man.
    Noone you guys know, unless you were an Alta local 10+ years ago.

Jeff is the man who coined one of my favorite quotes. We were in a bar in DC and had some kind of skiing schwag on and were chatting with some random guy about resorts. He was a Vail guy & asked why we liked Alta so much. Without missing a beat, Jeff replied “Its my favorite place on the Planet”
    Argument over.
    hope to ski with you again soon my friend.

Cancer killed my dad and my mother is currently fighting a breast cancer metastasized to her lungs and bones.
    I don't really know why I'm writing this on a ski forum, but I'm not too found of cancer indeed.
    To anyone who's doing something to get us closer to a cure : Thank you.
    Last edited by philippeR; 08-31-2007 at 08:51 AM.
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

cancer continues to suck... rip Gloria only 11 years old

her dad taught and coached at my old high school, and they've been fighting the stupid disease since before i graduated (4 years ago).
    Last edited by house; 09-21-2007 at 05:57 PM.
    Dude chill its the padded room. -AKPM

Cancer took one of my best childhood friends. He was one of the kindest and most genuinely friendly kids I ever knew. A few years later it took my grandfather. I loved that man so much.

Fuck Cancer!! Find that cure and God bless all those suffering.