Question Sweet Rocker helmets vs WRSI helmet

Sweet Rockers and WRSI helmets seem to be the only helmets I've seen that offer the great impact absorption in addition to the impact distribution/dissipation that kayak helmets offer. The WRSI is darn near two normal kayak helmets, one inside the other. Similarly, the Rocker has enough absorption capability to pass and probably exceed CE EN 1077 (downhill skiing helmet standard).

But which offers better protection? Is the Rocker really worth paying 3X as much $$$?

For comparison's sakes lets compare the WRSI to the Rocker hc LE... or the WRSI + EPS to the S1 fc LE

S1 hc LE $200-$240

WRSI $70

S1 fc $240-$260

WRSI + EPS $89
    Last edited by Summit; 08-01-2007 at 11:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

They're both good helmets. Pick the one that fits your head best. Unfortunately, Sweet helmets don't fit my head well or I would buy one because I think they look cooler. For safety, you can't go wrong with either helmet really.
    Keep it off my wave...Soundgarden

bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    The Sweet is worth it if you will use it for skiing also. IIRC you have a full face for skiing. Maybe upgrade to the Sweet full face and use that one for both sports?
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

The guys I know that use the sweet for both say it is way to hot to ski in.

The reason for the price difference is that both helmets offer great protection although they go about it two different ways.

Sweet dissipates the impact energy through the composite shell. They have figured out through lots of tested that laying in the glass at various angles they can dissipate the energy throughout the entire shell.

WSRI uses standard ski helmet technology using the EPS liner to absorb the impact.

Personally I have been using a Bern ski helmet that uses the same EPS as the WSRI and have taken a few hits this year and never felt them.

I would rather have the liner be softer and take the impact then a harder shell take the hit.

just my .02

I would get the WRSI and then if you get badass* like some of us you can get a full face for creeking in the future.

* and by badass I mean 'do retarded things in your kayak'

edit: Don't believe the hype about the WRSI being the greatest thing since sliced bread. It was designed by the family and friends of a guy who was killed because he got knocked out wearing a Protec...but there are plenty of other great helmets out there. Grateful Heads is super popular and they have a proven track record.
    Last edited by RootSkier; 08-02-2007 at 09:27 AM.

when looking for helmets i tried on both, i personally did not like the way the wrsi fit my head. i have a biggun, and i couldn't quite get the secure fit i was looking for. i didn't try on the rocker, but the strutter fit me perfectly but i wasn't about to drop 300 for a helmet. i ended up getting a shred ready which i like for the most part

also, i think that one of their other helmets (trooper?) is the exact thing more or less but is certified

rumor has it WRSI will introducing a full face at OR

Thats a HUGE visor for boating on that Sweet, you will either blow it off, smash it off, or get some nice whiplash with that thing...

FYI

I have a sweet strutter for sale if anyone's interested.

can't beat the WRSI when you look at price to safety ratio. I have a hard time believing that Grateful heads or any of the old style, composite buckets with foam glued inside are even close when it comes to staying on your head while being pummeled.

It's all about fit, man. I have seen people with ill fitting WRSI helmets pushed way, way back off their forehead. Oh the irony.

My Grateful Heads Hard Hit is awesome. I have taken some big hits and it's always done its job, including when I broke the first one.

It's all about the fit. Unless it's a Protec, and then it's just shit.

Picked up a Sweet Rocker, full cut, with the visor. Used it on the river a couple of times. Fits my head really well. The velcro adjust strap on the back works great and prevents the helmet from moving around at all. There is enough space between the visor and the helmet that I'm not too concerned with it pulling the helmet back in strong currents. Plus, you can always just take the visor off if it becomes a problem. The helmet takes awhile to dry and kind of smells funny but you can remove and wash the liner if you want. I plan to use the helmet for skiing. I doubt it will be too hot for skiing but I'll find out. The helmet is definitely over priced but that's what you get from a company based in the most expensive country on earth (Norway).

I was looking at Sweet helmets recently, there is about an inch of foam padding in the Sweet helmet similar to the foam in Motorcycle helmets. The Sweet is using a burly composite shell with a foam liner that will absorb hard impacts, which would make it an ideal crossover helmet for skiing. Sweet helmets seem to offer the best impact protection out there. Too bad they are so spendy. My next helmet will probably be a Rocker to use skiing and kayaking.

It looks like the WRSI is a good helmet also, Go with best fit and look into other brands also.

I pulled the trigger and ordered a Sweet Trooper fullface helmet. Just wish it would arrive in time to take it downhill mountain biking. I hope it covers as a fullface for kayaking, skiing and biking. At that rate, the extra cost won't matter if it is so versatile.

Once I get it though, I know I should avoid modifying it by replacing the rivets that hold the chin bar with bolts so I can make it convertible from full face to half face. Somebody tell me this is a bad idea.

Sweet helmets do not have the DH/BMX rating
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.