Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: The "A" Factor

I've been told that there far fewer problems while living/staying in Chile (even when away from Santiago)... any truth to this?
    I told you to tell them
    you was in a sanitarium, not sanitation.

It's twice as expensive and the wine sucks, though.

The A factor is what makes it an "experience".

And the Argie's like to have a good time and the Chilenos are more serious. And the girls are way hotter. And Covert says Chile is the same shit show, but the Chilenos think they are high and mighty. The Argentines admit, except and laugh about it.

Quote Originally Posted by enlosandes View Post
    OK, so we have an alarm company, ADT. The deal is if you alarm goes off, they call the house and you give them a password. If no one answers or the password is wrong, they call the police. We had a widespread power outage in Bariloche this winter and when the power was restored, our house alarm kept going off, very loud and annoying. I called the company. They tried to disengage it from their headquarters but couldn't. They then told me to put a pillow over it (it is the keyboard mounted in the wall) and a technician would be out next week. I told them that not only was that not acceptable since it didn't silence the alarm, but it was not possible to mount a pillow on the wall. I then asked them if I could cut the power to the cables and they said I could but I would have to pay for the new installation. I told them it wasn't my fault and the customer sohuldn't have to pay for this faulty system. Then, out of nowhere, the lady says "turn the power off, disconect cables 2 and 3, turn the power on" and your alarm should be silenced. Sure enuff, after 1.5 hours, the 10 second remedy solved the problem.
    Then for the next month, we call every day to have the technician come out and change the battery (apparently the source of the problem). Every day, different excuse. Their is snow on the road on a sunny day, the road is closed, the technician will call you, the technician had problems with the last install, the supervisor will be in touch with you, there is a power outage in your area (even though we have power). After a month of this, we found another company and then called to cancel the service. ADT tells me a technician will be out next week. I say gracias pero no gracias and they tell me an executive will call next week. And themnyesterday, a technician calls and says he will be here in an hour and I told him it is not necessary. Can't wait to see the bill for the last month, and the subsuquent phone calls.
    A(factor)DT is definetly an Argentine company that sums it up in a nutshell. Thanks for allowing me to vent.
    During our 2 seasons in Las Leñas, we had support groups for long Marte closures. Perhaps an A Factor support group would help, I know this post has helped me personally.

Covert, you aren't even smelly, can't imagine what your sidekicks funk level must be by now.
    We have an ADT alarm. Their service seems pretty good, if expensive.

edg
    Do you realize that you've just posted an admission of ignorance so breathtaking that it disqualifies you from commenting on any political or economic threads from here on out?

Quote Originally Posted by 801 jav View Post
    I've been told that there far fewer problems while living/staying in Chile (even when away from Santiago)... any truth to this?
    Not in my experience.

The A factor really isn't that big of a deal.
    Elvis has left the building

Covert says Chile is the same shit show, but the Chilenos think they are high and mighty. The Argentines admit, except and laugh about it.
    yup, i think the C factor carries about 60-70% of the punch of the A factor yet chile costs twice as much and doesn't believe there is a factor involved. it's all just part of the show...

ps on the road now with a spanish "fixer" who believes he is immune to the A factor. so far so good. vamos a ver...

Quote Originally Posted by covert View Post
    ps on the road now with a spanish "fixer" who believes he is immune to the A factor. so far so good. vamos a ver...
    amazing what an accent and a few well placed AR$ can do.....

Tried to get some empanadas from the store and came across this. For you non Spanish speaking peeps, "Closed this week for change of perspective". And remember, it is high season here, when most of the money is made until summer season.

pita larga

I got sort of use to the "lower the bar!" and "where is your leash" liftie freakouts riding in the Argentina. But last year they decide that a leash wasnt good enough; i need a pita larga (long leash). Reason I have to spend $25 pesos in cerro catedral: your leash must be long enough to tie your board around a post while you go to lunch. what wa?

To beat the A(TM) factor I get $390 pesos instead of $400 but that only works at some ATMs. The supermercado can sometimes be your friend and make change. But still I have not found the coordinates to the giant bonfire where they burn the 2 peso notes into 10 peso falsos for distribution to the BA cabbies.

How about those useless shower head heaters, especially the ones with the 220 V frankenstien toggle switch, that they expect you to turn on/off while standing NAKED on a WET floor?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    How about those useless shower head heaters, especially the ones with the 220 V frankenstien toggle switch, that they expect you to turn on/off while standing NAKED on a WET floor?
    I like the miswired ones that shock the shit out of you

How's this:

Huge powder morning, but no buses up to Catedral because too much snow. (Plow driver usually gets up there when he wakes up around 10am. Remember, Catedral is the lifeblood of Bariloche in winter). Finally get to the mountain a little before 11am, but nothing's open because patrol says, "lots of natural avalanche activity" (ummm...is there any terrain steep enough for avy's). Lifts open at noon, and I didn't see one avalanche. Turns out, all the lifty's were having a fat mate session up top. On the other hand, 20cm were predicted on top, over a meter fell. Nipples deep in places, and I'm exhausted.

in other news: one of the largest ski rental buildings burnt down yesterday at the base of Catedral. Everything lost, one pissed owner (probably without insurance), and a power surge to blame.

Actually it's probably good for safety that it takes a day or two after a storm for LL to get their shit together and open the Marte. Otherwise with the pow frenzy and no avalanche control there would be a lot more dead gringos.

[QUOTE=Split-It;1378998] On the other hand, 20cm were predicted on top, over a meter fell. Nipples deep in places, and I'm exhausted.

QUOTE]

Half day riding at the ski area and you are exhausted?

Quote Originally Posted by cj001f View Post
    I like the miswired ones that shock the shit out of you
    Been there, in Chile

Enlos/Split it... I'm envious of you guys living down there the whole season. How do you pull it off??
    I told you to tell them

Whole season? I defected from the empire over 2 years ago.

Whole season? I defected from the empire over 2 years ago.

What... you didn't want to be part of the American work machine?? How did you pull off full time living outside of the empire?
    I told you to tell them

Quote Originally Posted by 801 jav View Post
    How did you pull off full time living outside of the empire?
    Have you priced what it costs to live in Argentina?

A couple of years ago (now, not so much) there were estancias for sale for a couple million. 100k+ acres

Tried to get some empanadas from the store and came across this. For you non Spanish speaking peeps, "Closed this week for change of perspective". And remember, it is high season here, when most of the money is made until summer season.

I think that's something I admire and would do myself if I could....
    I told you to tell them

Quote Originally Posted by cj001f View Post
    Have you priced what it costs to live in Argentina?

A couple of years ago (now, not so much) there were estancias for sale for a couple million. 100k+ acres

True.. I've got a friend who's looking to invest money in property in Costa R... but I'm convinced that the best time to buy out there has passed. I'm assuming Chile is right up there too...overall how would you compare property values in Argentina?
    Last edited by 801 jav; 08-07-2007 at 10:22 PM.
    I told you to tell them

Real estate prices in Argentina are still extremely cheap. Prices are currently about 20% of what they are in Tahoe, our last home before the defection. To give you an idea, go to http://www.bariloche.com/bienesraices/index.asp and have a look.

Just checked out that whole site...so how do property taxes, utilities or other expenses compare? I couldn't find any info on other sites in those areas.
    Last edited by 801 jav; 08-08-2007 at 11:54 PM.
    I told you to tell them

Property taxes are very cheap (I think in Bariloche our houses are about US$300/year), and utilities are very inexpensive too.

I've been totally enjoying this thread. My trip is going to be quite an adventure especially since mum can be quite a queen. Sis and I can handle anything but mum.....well we're getting her prepared such as mentioning Split-It's bus ride home with the bus breaking down every kilometer.

I have a feeling she'll surprise us since she has in the past....she's told us she's just gonna go with the flow.