Help: Yakima lock issue

Ok, I have no idea how this has happened, but it's late in the afternoon Saturday, I'm getting ready to setup camp in the Badlands, and I've got the tip of the key broken off in my Yakima Box Lock. ARRRGGGGHHHH.

Since there is a piece of key in there somewhere, I'm willing to trash the cylinder to get the box open, but I would prefer NOT to trash the rest of the assembly, in the hopes that I can just pop a new cylinder in there and be up and going again. It's not really the cylinder I want (doesn't match the tower locks), but I couldn't get it removed, with one of Yakima's special 'gold' cylinder removal keys.

I'm on vacation, with the kiddies, stuck in a hotel in Rapid City, SD, and this lock issue if screwing up the camping plans. So short of calling a locksmith, my tentative thoughts are to (1) try drilling it out, as most of the cylinder seems to be pot metal, or (2) try yanking it out with a slide hammer, although I'm afraid of ruining the rest of the lock mechanism.

Anyone been here? Any thoughts?

I'm pretty sure you have to call a locksmith. I just had an issue with a lost key for my Yakima rack, and the solution they post on their website is to call a locksmith, and then get a new lock core ($11 or something like that). So- I'm guessing you'll have to pony up and call one.

Yeah, I broke down and called a locksmith. Will post the result in case it is of use to anyone else.

Yeah, one locksmith + $65 = Back in Business.

Actually, Paul (from Harvey's lock service in Rapid City, should you ever be in a similar pickle, in the same general area) provided much better the expected service. He pulled the cylinder, re-keyed it to match the tower locks, and made an additional key (he insisted I have a backup), all for the basic service price.

He did, however, make it look too easy. With a simple tension tool, and pick, he had it unlocked in about 15 seconds. So much for Yakima lock security.

Quote Originally Posted by Staggerwing View Post
    Yeah, one locksmith + $65 = Back in Business.

Actually, Paul (from Harvey's lock service in Rapid City, should you ever be in a similar pickle, in the same general area) provided much better the expected service. He pulled the cylinder, re-keyed it to match the tower locks, and made an additional key (he insisted I have a backup), all for the basic service price.

He did, however, make it look too easy. With a simple tension tool, and pick, he had it unlocked in about 15 seconds. So much for Yakima lock security.
    Lock picking kits, are cheap, and then you can practice or you neighbors car for fun.

My key broke off in my yakima lopro lock on Sunday. Ending up having to rent for me and the lad. It was bullshit as it was basically a breeze that broke of "just the tip" of the brittle thin key with no torque yet applied as the key wasn't even in all the way. Why don't they make the key for these types of racks like the bike u-lock circular keys. Me thinks that would be better for low temps, etc. I tried extracting and just made it go deeper in the lock...

Locksmith is gonna rape me for half the price of the rack me thinks

Exclamation REPLACEMENT THULE OR YAKIMA KEYS / CHANGE KEYS

On the net where you bid for things, ebay, name is 101LOCK !
    2 keys (two!) with shipping for $6.5
    They also have change keys for a lot less than that
    Hope I helped somebody!

Quote Originally Posted by m324ba View Post
    On the net where you bid for things, ebay, name is 101LOCK !
    2 keys (two!) with shipping for $6.5
    They also have change keys for a lot less than that
    Hope I helped somebody!
    How many locks?

(two!) supposedly.