Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

about ski reviews here.

if isomeone posts a review about a ski or makes a comment about such and such ski rips or 'i like to ski fast and this ski allows me to go mach looney tunes', said poster needs to back up their review or post with a photo or video of them skiing. i haven't met anyone from here yet, but after reading a few reviews from people saying something to effect of "go long dude, you'll be much happier when at speed and you can stomp landings and they truck and I like to ski fast..etc etc." but then I saw a few photos of said posters and they're in the fucking backseat, no style, kinda flailing....they can't ski!

i've heard people say they don't trust magazine ski reviews because they don't agree with whatever testing methodology they use, so they find ski forums more helpful for reviews. But damn, sometimes I get the feeling some people offering up opinions on skis aren't very good skiers, and well, how can you trust what you read? i guess you can't.

my opinion, and it's worth about what ya just paid for it.
    thank you for calling

sometimes I read things on the internet and say "a mentally retarded gnu on angeldust is smarter than that dipshit"
    Elvis has left the building

Quote Originally Posted by cj001f View Post
    sometimes I read things on the internet and say "a mentally retarded gnu on angeldust is smarter than that dipshit"
    most likely in reference to something I've on here,eh? (like this thread)
    thank you for calling

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeHuckerSchmucker View Post
    most likely in reference to something I've on here,eh? (like this thread)
    I thought your kind spent their time adjacent to abutments and proximate to piers?
    Elvis has left the building

It is a fourm, everyone has an opinion. To bad not everyone thinks like me..

you gotta take any review with a grain of salt. always watch out for the maggot bandwagon.
    http://tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=932&dateline=12042516  96

Quote Originally Posted by lax View Post
    you gotta take any review with a grain of salt. always watch out for the maggot bandwagon.
    Troof.

I'd like to contribute ski reviews as well, but no one wants to hear how they ski in the Midwest gnar, too. So I just shut the fuck up and learn.

bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeHuckerSchmucker View Post
    i haven't met anyone from here yet...
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

True, also just because its all personal preference.

But you can learn a lot from reviews, you just gotta read between the lines. Lets take ANTs. IMO, a fairly burly ski, pretty stable, but definitely have a speed limit since they ski so short. Now people that have reviewed them have said things like "still haven't found the speed limit" and "super stable at any speed". However, they also said things like "way easier to ski (/more forgiving/easier to turn, etc) than I thought they'd be". When you hear stuff like that, you know that they will definitely have a speed limit.

One thing that annoys me, is that when people review a ski, they act like they are an used car salesman. Every ski is the sickest thing every and no one says anything about any of the flaws or shortcomings. I get that you're stoked and you like your skis, and I can understand it if you're trying to help support a smaller ski company, but no ski does everything perfectly, and we know this.

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    , but no ski does everything perfectly, and we know this.
    i thought that was what BRO's are all about?

This is pretty much what it comes down to. The reviews/opinions here are pretty good compared to other places (especially magazine buyer's guides), but (according to TGR concensus) of the three skis I curently use one pair is only good for going straight and one pair is a great ski, but too long and I should just replace them all with a pair of Bros.

Sorry I don't have any photos, but I don't take ski pics and don't really like people taking pics of me skiing because I don't want to be exposed on the internet for the gaper I am. I know what you mean tho, I've seen countless bro bras talking smack in the lift line only to tailgun down the next run then ride the runout switch back to the lift. On the flipside, I could probably take 200 pics of my Grandma on a powder day and one of them would come out looking like she was killing it.

I suggest just buying the coolest looking skis out there and dealing with it.

My take is for fat skis, the reviews here are better than you will get from any ski magazine. Sure you have to take some reviews with a grain of salt, but it beats some PSIA dude skiing some Sumo's at Killington and writing about them.

Pictures dont really help either.....Size, weight, where you ski, how you mount, what you like, too many variables. That said, this board is cool because you can learn who's opinions maybe hold more weight (due to extreme radness).....so at least you can know your reviewer.
    Donjoy to the World!

[QUOTE=Jer;1360590]On the flipside, I could probably take 200 pics of my Grandma on a powder day and one of them would come out looking like she was killing it.QUOTE]

That is RAD......and you totally SHOULD!!
    Donjoy to the World!

jerr is offline Underwater trapeze artist
    If you spend a bit of time reading through reviews/comments and getting to know the personalities around this place you can come up with a good stable of people whose opinions you trust and understand. Plus there's a pretty good depth of information on most subjects, you've just got to take the time to sift for it. There are no magic bullets in life (only in death). A little bit of work goes a long way.

And if that fails take Jer's advice and get the one's that'll make you look the shizziest. As long as you look good you can't really go wrong.
    Nine out of ten Jeremy's prefer a warm jacket to a warm day

Keep the reviews coming. I can weed out the - how rad am I crap.

Just like skis - few people do everything well. Some huck huge and others find a fall line like water. Some are super smooth, svelte and stylist, while others haul ass. It is all about what you want to do and finding the ski to make that happen.

I totally kill it on a mondo-ski........
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

I've found that the only review needed is: 1) How stiff and 2) Dimensions. After that, I just buy it and get used to it.

heres a point o completely delegitimize my opinion...

anyone ever see the double-standard in that "core/sick" rippers demand stiff burl skis, yet complain about skis that have a "speed limit".

i grew up ignant bombing down icy EC mounds on the flopiest ski imaginable-rossi scrath fs. i can straightline something gnar with a ski that has a "speed limit" no problem.

i realize there is a breaking point, but unless i'm jumping off something, bombing something sketchy on pow+s and my msps doesn't feel that different (granted the msp is a pretty stiff ski, but the typical tgr sicky gnarbar would probably complain it has a "speed limit"). the msps are definitely more squirrely, but it most certainly managable, i barely notice it.

in my mind you lose gnar points by making excuses about how your ski isn't long/stiff enough to dominate something.
    Last edited by lax; 07-24-2007 at 08:32 PM.
    http://tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=932&dateline=12042516  96

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    But you can learn a lot from reviews, you just gotta read between the lines. Lets take ANTs. IMO, a fairly burly ski, pretty stable, but definitely have a speed limit since they ski so short. Now people that have reviewed them have said things like "still haven't found the speed limit" and "super stable at any speed". However, they also said things like "way easier to ski (/more forgiving/easier to turn, etc) than I thought they'd be". When you hear stuff like that, you know that they will definitely have a speed limit.

So what's the backseat speed limit of the 4fronts? Haven't found it yet?

writing ski reviews is fun. reading them is fun. what's the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by onehotchili View Post
    hmmm... what about maggots that write ski reviews here and test for ski magazines...
    They have an awesome job!

Quote Originally Posted by slippy View Post

So what's the backseat speed limit of the 4fronts? Haven't found it yet?
    I recommend you stop being such a faggot. You're in the backseat.
    Get the fuck outta the back seat!!!

And how did I know this pic would come up again? Easy boys...Everyone but the super nar nar bro brahs get in the backseat every once in awhile

Bring on the reviews. One persons view of a ski is just a little more information I can add to my mental files..

Quote Originally Posted by C_Free View Post
    Easy boys...Everyone but the super nar nar bro brahs get in the backseat every once in awhile
    For sure, but not everyone spews fluff about how they have the sickest gnarliest quiver of really long stiff skis that have a disagreeable speed limit.

I can just picture Seth at a dinner conversation with Doug bitching about how soft and noodly their pro-models are to ski, ya know, for straightlining the gnar. Wait, actually I can't picture that at all. So yea, less fluff, more ski. (Fluff is really entertaining to read at times though.)
    slopstyle crosscarver junior