Vineman 70.3 2007

So I just fininshed my first 70.3 race. I signed up for it a month ago, and nabbed one of the remaining 50 spots. So needless to say, I wasn't super prepared, but I felt super good going into the race. Please excuse my T2 time, I really don't know what I was thinking. Oh, and did I forget to mention that I FORGOT SOCKS?!?! Finally in the run at mile 8.5 some nice gatoraide man gave me some socks from his car. I've never had so many bleeding blisters.

1495 divegirl Sacramento, CA 29 F 66 388

Swim 00:36:39.0 - no wetsuit, baby!!
    T1 00:03:48.3

Bike 03:10:52.3
    T2 00:07:07.5

Run 02:39:20.7

Finish 06:37:47.8

So who else did it, and what was your time?
    bc-lovah

congrats!!!

..but, no socks!? OUch!

The Vineman is a great race. I have done it a few times back in my heyday as a tri geek. (2000 to 2002). Can't beat the wine tasting afterwards. It can be a long hot run some times.

The last year I did it was no wetsuits also, which made it a bit slower, but it sure was nice to just run out of the water, toss the goggles down and head out on the bike.

Congrats on doing it!

Quote Originally Posted by divegirl View Post
    Swim 00:36:39.0 - no wetsuit, baby!!
    What was the water temp? I've found 70 to be about ideal for open water swimming. Anything about mid 60s I can't imagine why a wetsuit is needed. I know tri folks love them, though. What is the cutoff in triathlons where wetsuits are banned?

Congrats! Bring socks next time
    Last edited by The AD; 07-23-2007 at 11:34 AM.

kb1dqh Guest
    Nice job! I raced.

Finish time: 5:04

Swim- 00:41:12
    T1- 00:02:54
    Bike- 02:38:00
    T2- 00:02:37
    Run- 01:39:00

Had a great race (first 1/2), but needed to be carried to the med tent after due to cramps. It was a crazy scence there. People collapsing all over the place. One guy next to me puked, then realized a lived near him and want to know if I could ride Thursday! That's the nature of these guys. I lost a ton of time on the swim. I was 11 of 45 in my age group on the run, 15 of 45 on the bike, but 40 of 45 on the swim- lost 15 minutes to the guy who finished in front of me!

Awesome, well put on race.
    Last edited by kb1dqh; 07-23-2007 at 12:06 PM.

Wow, kb1dqh, you're a badass!! Holy crap, 5:04! Excellent job!!

Wetsuits were allowed on the swim, but since I don't even have a wetsuit, train without one, and since I had a full-piece zoot tri suit, I was a-ok. Water temp was about 75 degrees, I think. They say that wearing a wetsuit when the water temps are high-ish will increase your core body temp during the run and you'll get dehydrated. So that's why I didn't wear one.

Next time though, I'm taking the day off after this race and going wine tasting.
    bc-lovah

Congrats Divegirl! Solid effort.

Mrs. Comish has roped me into my first race in about 11 years this weekend. Just a little mini sprint event. She is doing the Tri and I'm doing the Duathlon since this kid doesn't like and sucks at swimming. Then another 2 weeks later where I'm gonna have to swim too. Doh! KB, I'm just hoping I'm not DFL out of the water.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Major congrats Divegirl, especially given that you were probably really suffering from the blisters. You probably won't be forgetting socks again anytime soon!

Just did my 1st mini-tri a few weeks ago and am hoping to do more in the future. Like to swim, bike, and run, but have a hard time training all 3 consistently.

kb1dqh Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiBrain View Post

Just did my 1st mini-tri a few weeks ago and am hoping to do more in the future. Like to swim, bike, and run, but have a hard time training all 3 consistently.

It helps to have some sort of plan mapped out. i.e. on tues/thur bike, then one day on the weekend bike. Then say 1 day durring the week and 1 day durring the weekend run... something. Maybe a brick day.

Thanks for the advice kb1. Looks like you also had a good race and very impressive time, especially given the cramping! My lack of consistency mostly comes from my uncertain and often heavy workload, especially during the academic year. I should really get better at making time for regular workouts because despite my good intentions that's usually what gets sacrificed 1st. The best thing would probably to sign up for some race and then I'd have to get the training in somehow. That's worked for a couple of the running races I've done, but that's just training one discipline.

Davis has a great tri community and many of my friends are avid triathletes. They are way, way, way beyond my level though - several have done multiple ironmans, or have focused on exceling in one discipline like cycling or running. They are very supportive though and I'm sure could help me out with a training schedule to improve my sprint performance and maybe try for an Olympic distance down the road.

Awesome performance, DG and kb1! DG, that is a solid time especially considering your training... are you signing up for any others?

for your feetz- slather on vaseline and then wear socks to bed, always helps my blisters.

regarding wetsuits... I heard some douche at IMLP on Sat explaining to his buddies at a bar, "the wetsuits make it so you float all crazy. they don't even have to swim the 2.4 miles. they just have to keep moving their arms, it is so easy."

volunteering this weekend was crazy. sooo beat when i got home last night- i feel like i ran the ironman. we woke up at 5am, got into town, watched the swim start, volunteered for 10 hours handing out h20 on the run, and went to bed around 1am. then woke up at 4:30am the next day to sign up for IMLP 2008. It apparently sold out in 12 minutes. Insane. People literally camped out in tents in the line. Got there at 5am(ish)- registration opened at 9am- and was still about 100 people deep in line! couldn't believe the parking lot was full that early. was able to get a slot for next year, but apparently not even everyone on site got in!

Nice job kids. How could you forget socks. And how do your feet feel today?
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Congrats, guys. You are all way more badsses than I'll ever be. I'm a pussy when t comes to running.

Great job DG and kb

BD4A- congrats on getting into IMUSA.
    "There is a hell of a huge difference between skiing as a sport- or even as a lifestyle- and skiing as an industry"
    Hunter S. Thompson, 1970 (RIP)

kb1dqh Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanDip4All View Post

volunteering this weekend was crazy. sooo beat when i got home last night- i feel like i ran the ironman. we woke up at 5am, got into town, watched the swim start, volunteered for 10 hours handing out h20 on the run, and went to bed around 1am.
    BeanDip-

Thanks for volunterring! You guys were awesome- made the difference in the race.