I bustin' the kids outta school tomorrow to go skiing

I couldn't be happier, both of my kids - 11 year girl, 9 year boy - got straight A's on their last report cards. I (half) jokingly told them to tell their teachers they would have the flu on Thursday; so, of course, my daughter did.

I was given some free passes, so the whole family is going to play hooky and go skiing at Deer Valley tomorrow. The kids have never skied there and I'm not sure if they're more excited about skipping school or skiing somewhere new. OK, they're more excited about going skiing instead of going to school.

My folks never pulled me out of school to go skiing; that was always left up to my older brothers. I know we won't be skiing in anything fresh, but I sure hope it doesn't rain.

This should clinch my nomination for Father of the Year!
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

Re: I bustin' the kids outta school tomorrow to go skiing

Originally posted by InspectorGadget
    This should clinch my nomination for Father of the Year!
    That's a serious performance for other nominations to contend with. Rock on.

Thumbs up

Father of the Year!
    I don't know, there seems to be some tough compatition around here with SuPu.
    The older you get the more rules they are going to try and get you to follow. You just gotta keep on livin man! L-I-V-I-N!

Inspector...I wish you were my dad!
    yeah

Nice move, Inspector! Did the same last week with my 8 yr. old daughter. She's still singign' my praises. Not everyone she to whom she brags about this agrees with the move, though. Oh well...
    Last edited by Arnold Babar; 03-25-2004 at 09:27 AM.

Nice move, IG. Thought it was the best thing when I was a kid.

Through Jr. High and H.S. one of my friends dad was consistent on the days when it dumped during the week.
    Hearing "please come to the office, there's a message for you" was translated into, "please, gather yourself, your going skiing" I think I had 5 relatives pass away in one year. It was tuff.
    Skiing, where my mind is even if my body isn't.

That's awesome gadget!
    You need to do that more often, that's a great reward!

Originally posted by Ski Monkey
    Yeah, but SuPu doesn't have any kids...that he knows of.

I take it you missed the entire Superstarlet Punani goesa to Kirkwood thread?

http://www.tetongravity.com/usergall...l_DSC01340.JPG
    "There is a hell of a huge difference between skiing as a sport- or even as a lifestyle- and skiing as an industry"
    Hunter S. Thompson, 1970 (RIP)

No offense to Red Baron or others in the weather game - we all know it's an inexact science. But the forecast I saw last night wasn't even close; today was capital B B-yootiful! The wind was blowing just hard enough to keep you comfortably cool. Considering the summer weather we've been having, the coverage at Deer Valley was excellent. It was cold enough last night for a hard freeze and the snow corned-up nicely in a few places.

Generally speaking, I can live without skiing bumps. Today, however, we all got in the act. My son wasn't rippin through the soft bumps, but he really surprised us all with his bump skiing.

If I had a nickel for every time my daughter looked at her watch and giggled - as she said "I would be in _____________ right now" - I could have bought our lunch. It got a little old after a while, but so what, she was having fun.

All-in-all, it was a great day playing hooky.

Regarding the nomination of Superstarlet Punani's daddy for Father of the Year; no worries, we live in different states. But if we both advance to the finals . . . . I'll mop the floor with him.
    Last edited by InspectorGadget; 03-25-2004 at 08:42 PM.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

Originally posted by Plakespear
    I take it you missed the entire Superstarlet Punani goesa to Kirkwood thread?
    Whoa, I did.

[jedimindtrick]you didn't read anything...[/jedimindtrick]

That's awesome IG. Today was pretty sweet out there. When we hitting up the canyons?